UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

UA @ ISU (GAME THREAD!)

Can someone explain to me why Gifford starts if he's playing 4 minutes?!?!?!!

I'm high to praise Josh Martin, but he was 2-12 from the field, shooting 16% from the field. One of his made baskets was a three, so he went 1-9 from 2 pt. shots. Hopefully, he'll have a better game next time and I think he is the key to our offense. If he is driving, penetrating, and handling the ball well, we are MUCH better. Our guys are more spot shooters than the type to create their own shot - penetration is key both for creating the open shot and also getting to the line.

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply
What difference does it make if he starts if he's only playing 4 minutes? Maybe he's better at jump balls??
Yeah, starters don't mean all that much. It's who finishes, lol.

But yeah, we showed some flashes of a good team, I'm hoping things will begin to click...soon...real, soon.

I think we should be alright against the teams in our conference who are not as good as Boise St, Iowa St, Duke and some of the other teams we lost to. Sure a few of the loses were bad loses against teams at our level but teams lose those games all the time.

What difference does it make if he starts if he's only playing 4 minutes? Maybe he's better at jump balls??
Yeah, starters don't mean all that much. It's who finishes, lol.

But yeah, we showed some flashes of a good team, I'm hoping things will begin to click...soon...real, soon.

I think we should be alright against the teams in our conference who are not as good as Boise St, Iowa St, Duke and some of the other teams we lost to. Sure a few of the loses were bad loses against teams at our level but teams lose those games all the time.

Well said. We'll be fine against AE teams. Thank god we'll start conference play soon. The ACC, Big 12 and WAC are a bit much. Bring on Bingo!

It is very important who starts because as of late, we haven't come out of the gate swinging. Since it is obvious we play better with Covington or Turley, its important for us to get off to a good start. Heck, we started this game 3-9, scoring 3 points in the first 4 minutes of the game. At that pace, we are on pace to score 30 points the whole game. And ofcourse, as Al came in, you noticed how we started to play better, and actually took the lead. This is the exact reason we have always been clawing back as of late. And, by this, I'm obviously not including Duke - but look at the Siena game where we were down a TON to start the game. This team is all about rhythm, seeing how we go on large point swings. We were able to turn 3-9 into 18-14, so tempo and rhythm are very important. We come out very flat and clearly the starting lineup has to deal with that. And if he's better for jump balls, he's surely not showing it, because I can't remember Albany getting a ball at the start as of late.

The one positive is that we are finally playing some major names out there and being competitive. With the exception of Duke & UDel, we could have won every game, or atleast were there being very competitive until the end. This team is lacking a killer instinct, and this is why we aren't able to put opponents away or sense urgency. I'm not comparing us to Lebron by any sense of the imagination, but if you remember back when he was a rookie it took him a full year, almost 2, to get that killer instinct to put opponents away. It will be nice to see us mature throughout the course of the season.

Based upon how the team fared OOC on the road, do you think that Coach Brown will alter the way he approaches next years OOC schedule, especially since we will be even younger, and the only senior will be (correct me if im wrong) Connelly and Covington?

The one positive is that we are finally playing some major names out there and being competitive. With the exception of Duke & UDel, we could have won every game, or atleast were there being very competitive until the end. This team is lacking a killer instinct, and this is why we aren't able to put opponents away or sense urgency. I'm not comparing us to Lebron by any sense of the imagination, but if you remember back when he was a rookie it took him a full year, almost 2, to get that killer instinct to put opponents away. It will be nice to see us mature throughout the course of the season.

Based upon how the team fared OOC on the road, do you think that Coach Brown will alter the way he approaches next years OOC schedule, especially since we will be even younger, and the only senior will be (correct me if im wrong) Connelly and Covington?

All I have to say to everyone:

RELAX. This is a relatively YOUNG team. The killer instinct mentioned here is right on point. Three years ago we lacked it and lost close ones- Then boom, the next two seasons happen. It is a growing process and I am not that worried but for a few individual players that need to look deep inside themselves.

I will say that while the team is young, we will SORELY miss Iati, Lillis, and Wilson. Some may differ from this opinion, but we will need a ton to come from the three frosh next season as two of the players, Aronholt and Lindfors, are the ones being hyped as the Lillis and Wilson replacements (I dont think you can truly replicate what those two have done for us).

I watched the Lindfors and Aronholt vids-- Logan seems ready to play TODAY! Jake...like all big men, looks like he has better ball on the floor skills that Brent....but I think Brent brings toughness and shooting like no other.

Granted....that was based on one video each.

It is very important who starts because as of late, we haven't come out of the gate swinging. Since it is obvious we play better with Covington or Turley, its important for us to get off to a good start. Heck, we started this game 3-9, scoring 3 points in the first 4 minutes of the game. At that pace, we are on pace to score 30 points the whole game. And ofcourse, as Al came in, you noticed how we started to play better, and actually took the lead. This is the exact reason we have always been clawing back as of late. And, by this, I'm obviously not including Duke - but look at the Siena game where we were down a TON to start the game. This team is all about rhythm, seeing how we go on large point swings. We were able to turn 3-9 into 18-14, so tempo and rhythm are very important. We come out very flat and clearly the starting lineup has to deal with that. And if he's better for jump balls, he's surely not showing it, because I can't remember Albany getting a ball at the start as of late.

I was being facetious.

If you have followed some of the Blogs and Coach Brown's comments you would realize he is still looking for more contributions from the 5 spot and the last I read he was expecting to start Turley soon at the 5.

Which means he has already entered Martin in the starting line up and now wants to add Turley which would give us 2 freshman starters.

I'm sure Ambrose's minutes will go up that will give us 3 key freshman contributors which is tough at the DI level especially if you don't have a go to guy on offense.

The notion that we are missing Jamar is of course true, but that wouldn't be half as bad if we didn't also lose Jason Siggers at the same time.

In my opinion our biggest problem so far is a lack of consistency out of some of our veterans especially Connelly, Brent and Iati.

By the way I heard at a News Years Eve Party that Connelly had taken, 10 sitches over the eye in practice a couple of days before the ISU game. I guess there is alot of stuff that happens that we fans don't know about and have to find out by accident or through casual conversation.

If Brent and Connelly both have solid outings on the same night look for us to be a much better offensive team. I believe this team still has a big upside.

Nationally ranked Duke (RPI 18), Boise State (RPI 133, who just beat BYU with Jimmer Fredette) and ISU (RPI 108) from the Big 12 was a real tough stretch, teams with a combined 26-9 record.

I'm sure it was tough playing 2 of the 3 in very hostile environments (sold out Cameron & 13,000+ at the Hilton Center at ISU) but a great experience for the members of the team.

Its a little disappointing to consider Covington our best option at the 5. I think he's doing an outstanding job and demonstrates some good offensive moves to the basket that I wish he used more often. I thought Gifford would have come off his freshman year with a lot more intensity and on-court leadership. Regarding Turley, I'm not convinced. Offensively, I watch him move without the ball sometime and often it looks misplaced or without any idea of where he can contribute. When he gets the ball, he seems too one dimensional. This is observation, not criticism; he may develop dramatically with experience and coaching. But in my own opinion I just don't know if he's even close yet.

The AEast, except perhaps for UMBC has shown very poorly early in out of conference play. I think we'll find out quickly if we're just one of the pack or something better.

You had to watch the opposition's webcast or listen to the Fox 980 pregame to get news about Connelly's stitches. I guess it wasn't in the T-U

I didn't see a TU reporter at the game and I could not hear Roger's pregame from where I was sitting.

Archived