UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

Hartford Postgame

I don't know what to think. One minute it looks like we are unstoppable, and then we have to play the second half. The outside shooting was just terrible (3 for 17 from three-point range) and then can't put it home down low...thats the story of this game. This team is what it is. The fact is if you can shoot from the outside, you can beat UA...Hartford did that today, especially when their top player is the one you let shoot.

WOW....what a fun game. I really had a good time at the game except for the outcome of course. I think the miscommunication on a couple of plays cost us the game. There were two drives to the bucket that were totally uncontested, one resulting in a dunk and at least two back door plays in the first half that were just a byproduct of bad communication. The missed layup by Jerel was also tough to swallow but thats OK....it happens. I'm not sure why Josh was on the bench when Jon turned the ball over twice against the press, but oh well.

We did not play terrible ball today, many of the threes were contested, especially the 4 point play. The better team won today.

As an aside.....who was the kid standing around with the players during warm ups, he was there with Billy and Reid. I noticed he was followed around by UA staff and went into the locker before the start of the game. Did anyone else see him? I'm pretty sure it was a recruits.....I've seen one picture of Nate and it looked kind of like him.

WOW....what a fun game. I really had a good time at the game except for the outcome of course. I think the miscommunication on a couple of plays cost us the game. There were two drives to the bucket that were totally uncontested, one resulting in a dunk and at least two back door plays in the first half that were just a byproduct of bad communication. The missed layup by Jerel was also tough to swallow but thats OK....it happens. I'm not sure why Josh was on the bench when Jon turned the ball over twice against the press, but oh well.

We did not play terrible ball today, many of the threes were contested, especially the 4 point play. The better team won today.

As an aside.....who was the kid standing around with the players during warm ups, he was there with Billy and Reid. I noticed he was followed around by UA staff and went into the locker before the start of the game. Did anyone else see him? I'm pretty sure it was a recruits.....I've seen one picture of Nate and it looked kind of like him.

Very dissapointing. I can't understand why Martin was benched for Iati with 9:38 to go and was never seen again. I know he just picked up his third foul but I figured around the 6 minute mark we would see him again. Did he get hurt?

I wasn't able to listen/watch the game. Can anyone give a little synopsis of the positives and negatives of what we did? It's disappointing to know we lost, but I'm curious if Timmy started again, and if so, why he only played 12 mins? Did he make many mistakes etc? I hoped Brent had a breakout gae, but it seems as though it was a bad showing on his part. Any info would be appreciated. Thanks

I wasn't able to listen/watch the game. Can anyone give a little synopsis of the positives and negatives of what we did? It's disappointing to know we lost, but I'm curious if Timmy started again, and if so, why he only played 12 mins? Did he make many mistakes etc? I hoped Brent had a breakout gae, but it seems as though it was a bad showing on his part. Any info would be appreciated. Thanks

Started out down 7-2 and then went on 12-0 run. Looked good, got good shots and built a good lead. Martin made some nice moves to the hoop, lillis hit some great shots, connelly was hitting the mid range jumper pretty well. But before the end of the half Hartford was able to crawl their way back in the game. i think it was 33-28 at the half. We came out flat in the second half. Some awful defensive lapses and the Hawks were really stroking the 3. had some chances at the end but shots wouldn't drop. Turley made a few nice shots down low but hardly played; maybe due to matchups? Hartford also pressed the hell out of us which resulted in a bunch of turnovers. As with many other games this year we played well in spurts and poor in others. Couldn't get a stop in the last few minutes when we needed it. Tough loss. I think barring a miracle we can't win the regular season. Hopefully we can string some good games together and gear up for a tourney which if we play well, can be won.

Very dissapointing. I can't understand why Martin was benched for Iati with 9:38 to go and was never seen again. I know he just picked up his third foul but I figured around the 6 minute mark we would see him again. Did he get hurt?

Dane05,

You are correct. I think the result of this game is the most disappointing outcome I have seen in several years. Losing to Hartford in itself is not bad because UHA deserved to win. Their guys pressed and hustled, but losing to almost any AE team at home is very disheartening. Somehow I thought at this point in the season we would be where Hartford is now: reaping the fruits of hard work and team bonding and good coaching in more and more successful outings. Perhaps this is phase II of the season, and phase III will arrive just as the team prepares for the tournament. Last week I was optimistic about that happening, but right now I just don't see everything coming together.

Dane05,

You are correct. I think the result of this game is the most disappointing outcome I have seen in several years. Losing to Hartford in itself is not bad because UHA deserved to win. Their guys pressed and hustled, but losing to almost any AE team at home is very disheartening. Somehow I thought at this point in the season we would be where Hartford is now: reaping the fruits of hard work and team bonding and good coaching in more and more successful outings. Perhaps this is phase II of the season, and phase III will arrive just as the team prepares for the tournament. Last week I was optimistic about that happening, but right now I just don't see everything coming together.

Couldn't agree more with you. Thought by now we would be jelling and making our move to the top. Still hope we can postion ourselves for a good seed in the tourney and hopefully make a run. Very perplexing losing all these games at home.

Does it concern anyone else but me that our 3 year starting 6'10 senior forward has shot 1-11 and 5-9, and 3-10 the last 3 games? Thats less than 30% from the field. Whats worse about that is 26 of those 30 shots have been 3 point attempts? He is 6'10 and this is midmajor D1, not the NBA...GO TO THE BASKET. Every other time down the floor on defense he is knocked to the floor as well. There is no reason he can't be moving up and getting better looks than 20+ feet away. Also, why is it that whenever a defender makes a great play against Ambrose, or even if the poor kid sneezes the wrong way, he's substituted out, without hesitation...but a senior "leader" is allowed to continuously launch bricks for 25+ minutes a game. I love how Coach Brown's focus in recruiting strategy for next year is to replace Brent. Replace? I hope he means because he's graduating and we'll be 1 less on the roster, not that his departure is going to hurt the team's chances of winning games.

I'll grant you Brent had a bad shooting game but there was PLENTY of fault to go around. It takes five guys playing pretty bad defense to let the other team shoot 56%, not just one. We fouled three point shooters at least twice and maybe three times - I've never seen it happen that many times in one game.

Turley was eating their lunch in the opening couple of minutes in the second half. I realize he gave up some of the backdoor plays while he was in but honestly when he was out we weren't doing any better on defense. I had hoped he could have forced Hartford to do something differently if he stayed out there.

We looked lost on offense in the second half. Lillis did a good job hitting some tough shots but if it weren't for him and some offensive rebounds it would have been really ugly.

The lineup of Hastings, Iati, Lillis, Connelly and Wilson might be the most fundamentally sound defensive teams we can put out there but they seem pretty easy to scout and take things away from on the offensive end. If you crowd Iati and Brent at the three point line they aren't going to put the ball on the floor and go around their guy. Lillis and Hastings are reluctant (to say the least) outside shooters so they've been played off and guarded against the drive and dared to shoot. I thought Hartford did a pretty good job of that yesterday and we struggled.

In order to just generate some conversation, I figured I would start a piece about possible changes that might help the team.

Note: This is not an anti-Will Brown thread. He's a great coach. This is just a "speculation" thread.

Is there something in particular that might serve as a catalyst to the team?

In order to just generate some conversation, I figured I would start a piece about possible changes that might help the team.

Note: This is not an anti-Will Brown thread. He's a great coach. This is just a "speculation" thread.

Is there something in particular that might serve as a catalyst to the team?

Brown may have already started it for you. The TU quotes him as likely making some starting line-up changes for UVM tomorrow.

And bp101, Brent's 6'8"..not 6'10". He's certainly having some shooting problems, but it's interesting to note that Brent was 3rd team all conference last season while averaging 11ppg and 5rpg..this season he's avergaing 10ppg and 6rpg and there are plenty of people who want him to ride the pine.

Archived