UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

Tonight we become

BUMA and Vermont fans right? We're looking for the #2 seed so we need Hartford to lose. If both Hartford and Albany finish 10-6 I think our records against Vermont would be the tiebreaker. We swept Vermont and I think Hartford got swept by Vermont.

Yes, we're BU and Vermont fans tonight, but I don't think it works as simply as you laid out.

If Hartford ends up 10-6 after losing tonight (to fall to 9-6), that means they will have beaten UMBC on Sunday for win #10. UMBC is the #1 seed (locked up) and they swept us, so I think that Hartford would win the tie-breaker (essentially best conference win).

I'm looking at the other possibilities now, but it may take a bit; it feels a lot like I'm taking the SATs again.

B)-->

QUOTE(Zalman B @ Feb 28 2008, 02:44 PM) 31921[/snapback]
Yes, we're BU and Vermont fans tonight, but I don't think it works as simply as you laid out.

If Hartford ends up 10-6 after losing tonight (to fall to 9-6), that means they will have beaten UMBC on Sunday for win #10. UMBC is the #1 seed (locked up) and they swept us, so I think that Hartford would win the tie-breaker (essentially best conference win).

I'm looking at the other possibilities now, but it may take a bit; it feels a lot like I'm taking the SATs again.

I am guessing that you are right on the Hartford thing and I am certain you are right about the SAT thing...I tried figuring this out this AM and it just makes you nuts...too hard too figure with some teams having 1 game left and others 2...I'm gonna wait till the games are finished tonight ...and then I think the range of options for consideration will be far more manageable to consider....trying to figure out all the alternatives right now just makes my headache....

If Hartford drops the final 2 games (to BU & UMBC)

AND

UAlbany beats BU on Sunday

AND

Vermont Finishes at 10-6 (beating UNH & Maine)

AND

Binghamton beats Stony Brook

Then

#1 UMBC (13-3/14-2)

#2 Albany (10-6)

NOTE: Albany holds tiebreaker over VT because both were swept by the #1 seed UMBC and Albany has the better win by virtue of 2 W over Vermont.

#3 Vermont (10-6)

#4 Binghamton (9-7)

NOTE: Binghamton holds tiebreaker over both BU and Hartford (assuming above) by virtue of their 1/19/08 victory over #1 UMBC.

#5 Hartford (9-7)

NOTE: Hartford holds the tiebreaker over BU (assuming above) by virtue of their 2/9/08 victory over #2 Albany.

#6 BU (9-7)

#7 UNH (5-11)

#8 Maine (4-12/3-13)

#9 Stony Brook (3-13)

NOTE: The UMBC/Maine game tonight doesn't appear to have any impact whatsoever on the potential tournament games under this scenario. Either way, the 8-9 game is Maine/Stony Brook and UMBC is #1.

If, however, Maine defeats Vermont AND UMBC, then they could finish 5-11 and hold a tie-breaker over a 5-11 UNH (by virtue of the UMBC win). If the only change from above is Maine beating Vermont, then Binghamton slides up to #3 (because they would have tie-breaker over Vermont by defeating UMBC), Hartford slides to #4 (because they have tie-breaker over Vermont by defeating Albany), Vermont drops to #5 (because they have tiebreaker over BU because they have 2 wins over #4 Hartford while BU has only 1).

That's all I've got so far. I should probably just put "C" and move onto other questions.

Unless Hartford wins both games here are the possible scenarios if Albany beats BU

Scenario 1

#2 Albany 10-6 (3-1 vs other teams involved)

#3 Vermont 10-6 (2-2 vs other teams involved)

#4 Hartford 10-6 (1-3 vs other teams involved)

Scenario 2

#2 Albany 10-6

#3 Vermont 10-6

? Hartford 9-7

Scenario 3

#2 Hartford 10-6 (beats UMBC giving them the tiebreaker)

#3 Albany 10-6

? Vermont 9-7

So here is what I think works out to be best case scenario for Albany, while considering the tournament also.

2/28

BU defeats Hartford.

UMBC defeats Maine.

Vermont defeats UNH.

3/1

Binghamton defeats Stony Brook. --- Best in my mind for Albany, though I would much prefer rooting for Stony Brook here.

3/2

Albany beats BU.

UMBC defeats Hartford.

Vermont defeats Maine.

This would make the matchups at Vestel -

#1 UMBC vs. winner of #8 Maine/#9 Stony Brook played Friday Night

#2 Albany vs. #7 UNH

#3 Vermont vs. #6 BU

#4 Binghamton vs. #5 Hartford

We don't have to play Binghamton at Vestel and if Maine/Stony Brook or Binghamton/Hartford can knock off UMBC we can host the championship if we make it. As a fan, I'd hate to have to root for Binghamton - let alone root for them twice - but that would probably be Albany's best bet.

Things get interesting now with tonights results (Vermont loss and Boston win over Hartford)

Based on the tiebreakers, I have the following

1. UMBC

2. Hartford

3. UAlbany

4. Boston

5. Vermont

6. Binghamton

7. UNH

8. Maine

9. Stony Brook

I was at the BU game tonight-- John Holland was unstoppable-- WOW.

One of the best performances I have seen in years. We are going to have our hands full with him.

Right now, your tiebreaker is off--

Hartford is 2 because technically WE LOST to UMBC twice. They beat UMBC at Hartford...and Hartford is 2...even if we win.

doesn't it go overall record against tied teams before it goes to record vs. top seed?

Yes, but if we tie Hartford, it's still a tie since we split the series. See item c and d.

Pated from Singelais' blog:

a. Ties shall be broken from the top of the standings down.

b. In the event of a tie between two or more teams, the tie shall be

broken using the following criteria

in order.

c. The record in regular-season Conference play of the tied teams shall

be determined against the

other team(s) with which it is tied. The team with the highest winning

percentage based on the

results of their in-season head-to-head competition shall gain the

advantage.

d. Record versus other Conference opponents in descending rank order. In

the event of arriving at

another pair of tied teams when comparing records, each team’s record

against the combined tied

teams is used rather than the performance against individual tied teams.

e. Conference record in road games. In the event a game was played on a

neutral floor, the home

team shall be considered to be the team which was originally awarded the

home game when the

Conference schedule was issued.

f. RPI ranking as determined by the College RPI Report

(www.rpiratings.com) through the end of the

regular season. The team with the highest ranking shall gain the

advantage.

g. If the tie is not resolved, then the tie shall be broken by a coin

flip or draw conducted

by the Commissioner or his designee.

h. In the event of a tie between more than two teams, once the tie is

broken and a team is awarded

the highest seed among the tied teams, return to (a.) above.

Maybe I am wrong but I think the possible outcomes (assuming that UVM and BUNY both win out...) are as follows:

Hartford wins Sunday and we win...hartford's 2nd...we finish 3rd..UVM gets 4th, BUMA gets 5th and BUNY is 6th (and our first round opponent...)

Hartford loses and we win we're second and hartford's 3rd and we get UNH...everything below that still follows as above

Hartford loses and we lose BUMA's second, we end up third based on the tiebreaks..., UVM's 4th Hartford's 5th and Bingo's 6th

Rationale for this last scenario...is that among the 4 teams that would tie at 9-7 our record and UVM's would both be 4-2...with our 4-2 including 2 head to heads with UVM, Hartford would be 3-3 and Bingo 1-5...

Hartford wins and we lose, Hartfords 2nd, BUMA is 3rd, we are 4th, UVM 5th and Bingo 6th

So...if I've calculated this all correctly...the likeliest scenario (based solely on the number of possible outcomes as opposed to who's likely to win which games...) is that we end up playing Bingo in the first round.....just my best guess...anyone else wanna try?

Archived