UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

Another Negative Slant by Singelais

The TU can happily report on what meals the other area team eats in Italy but it does always seem to have a negative spin regarding UA. Why post this kind of article on the UA hoops blog? We know Harris' history (afterall we are the fans of the program.) I try to remain impartial but the general feel of the UA stories is never complimentary.

Mark: There is an open scrimmage on Saturday. Where is that report? Are you planning on attending?

Some background on UAlbany’s HarrisOctober 21, 2008 at 12:48 pm by Mark Singelais, Staff writer

UAlbany junior forward Will Harris, a University of Virginia transfer who learned last week he is eligible this season, has had a well-traveled path through scholastic and collegiate basketball.

He attended four high schools: Christ The King in New York City, Redemption Christian Academy in Troy, Maine Central Institute and Brewster (N.H.) Academy.

As an MCI senior, Harris signed with the University of Nebraska in the fall of 2004, then ranked as the No. 94 high school prospect in the country by recruiting expert Bob Gibbons. Harris, a Queens native, was later released from his scholarship when his mother became ill.

Then Harris played as a postgraduate student at Brewster in 2005-06. He gave his verbal commitment that fall to the University of Connecticut, but backed out of it at the urging of the UConn coaching staff when playing time became an issue.

Ranked No. 77 nationally by prepstars.com, Harris later signed with Virginia, where he played two seasons before leaving for reasons UAlbany said were family-related.

In any case, the 6-foot-6 Harris is easily the highest-rated player ever to enter the UAlbany program. The only other high-level transfer the Great Danes have had was Boston College center Kirsten Zoellner, who played for UAlbany from 2004-06.

I agree with you. Pete Iorizzo won't say crap about anything at Siena because he's concerned with the access he gets. Can't say the same for Mark - which I don't think the UAlbany staff makes his job easy, as the Siena staff does for Pete. I'm telling you - that's a fact. Pete will throw fluff up on his blog all day long because it keeps everyone happy. Mark is more willing to point out the imperfections because it has little effect on how much access he gets. I think Mark does a pretty good job with what he has to work with.

I agree with you. Pete Iorizzo won't say crap about anything at Siena because he's concerned with the access he gets. Can't say the same for Mark - which I don't think the UAlbany staff makes his job easy, as the Siena staff does for Pete. I'm telling you - that's a fact. Pete will throw fluff up on his blog all day long because it keeps everyone happy. Mark is more willing to point out the imperfections because it has little effect on how much access he gets. I think Mark does a pretty good job with what he has to work with.

Mark stung this program one too many times in my opinion. I could care less if he has access. He does nothing with a major program...I am talking about an ENTIRE ATHLETIC PROGRAM.

This is one of the headlines that recently started my questioning of the TU and Mark's spin on the stories:

2-point try fails, UAlbany prevails

Danes eke out victory in long-awaited home debut

Now maybe I am being too defensive about my alma mater but doesn't it seem like it was written from the opposition's point of view?

How about:

UAlbany prevails in close home opener.

UAlbany triumphs in tightly contested contest.

UAlbany victorious as 2-pt conversion fails.

Starting by mentioning the failed conversion makes it look like Mark is rooting for the other team.

The sportswriters don't compose the headlines that go with the story. Depends on the page layout, editors, etc.

Meanwhile in the 'Talking Points' a Siena fan complains that because Rodger wrote that anything less than a spectacular Siena season would be a 'disappointment', he's setting himself up to gloat because he's UAlbany's guy.

The sportswriters don't compose the headlines that go with the story. Depends on the page layout, editors, etc.

Yes that is my understanding too. However, I would be shocked if the TU had a similar negative headline regarding LCC.

Meanwhile in the 'Talking Points' a Siena fan complains that because Rodger wrote that anything less than a spectacular Siena season would be a 'disappointment', he's setting himself up to gloat because he's UAlbany's guy.

This after all the yapping out of LCC fans how they are a potential top 25 team and a lock to be the best team in the maac in years. What a joke.

Guys, the TU is what it is and they do cover UA with a beat writer.

UA teams will just have to keep winning in all sports and eventually the tide will turn.

You shouldn't expect fair treatment - my dad clearly told me and I paraphrase - "son go out their and make it happen for yourself don't ever think you deserve something because the world we live in isn't fair". He told me that many time in many different ways.

Now that I have pretty much grown up and have walked the walk - He was right.

Patch,

While I agree with you...what is the Times Useless beat writer (Mark) doing half the time if he isn't covering the beat. Late in the summer we got not one but TWO verbals and there wasn't even a blog entry about it. Forget a story, the beat writer assigned to cover the UA sports beat didn't have time to post a blog that we got a verbal commitment from two student athletes. Give me a break...lets call it what it is....bull$iena.

If it were up to me, I'd redouble my efforts to build lasting relationships with other media outlets in the area like Fox and WNYT and The Gazette and then give the TU scraps after everyone else is done. I suspect this is already going on to some extent. As our national profile grows now just in one or two sports but ALL SPORTS, the TU can continue on their current path to swoon over Siena. It's obvious, they've placed most of their eggs in the Siena basket.

Thank you for pointing this out.

I will now retract some of my criticism fro Mark and extend it to the entire newspaper.

Write with enthusiasm and write well and the readers will come. Placing a less than complimentary slant on all the stories only helps to alienate those most interested.

Everyone here is correct.................................................

A Quickly Rising NCAA Division I Athletic Program covered in this fashion is a complete joke.

UA does have a TU beat writer, unfortunately the coverage is sloppy, inadequate, and careless.

Yes, negative slants too much of the time.

It's not just the writers, its the editors, and the responsibility of the newspaper!

To characterize Harris the way Singleis did was absolutely ridiculous.

The T U is a true waste of trees and my computer RAM. If they wanted to support Albany and the Capitol District, they'd be pumping up all of the area's collegiate athletic and academic successes as much as they could. There's no reason to deficate on successful colleges and their accomplishments in our own backyard.... due to indifference, distain, or whathaveyou. Not good for the city of Albany as a whole.

If the TU were the only determinant of UAlbany's success or failure, they'd drive the University into the ground. The city of Albany would lose UAlbany's 3 billion economic impact on the city, driving the capital district into shambles. They should be helping build the name of Albany to be synonymous with GREAT COLLEGE ACADEMICS AND ATHLETICS, period.

And without a doubt, UA will continue making a name for itself in NCAA Division I athletics, making its own success, regardless of how ignorant and unfair the only newspaper in Albany covers the program.

"“We’re probably a full day, a full three-hour practice behind where I envisioned being at this point,” Brown said.

After reading that I was thinking Coach Brown would hold a practice Saturday morning before the P+G game like he did last year. I was wondering why everyone looked so slow until we found out they were exhausted from a late practice the night before and one in the morning.

Archived