UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

Rotation talk anyone

NYR

So how is Brown going to deal with his rotation?

Here’s a list of players an their approx range on minutes

Raffa – 20-25

Johnson – 15-20

Well these are your point guards and they’ll split 40 min a night. I’d like to see someone win this battle and play 30 min a night. Raffa appears to have the edge at this point but there’s no question Johnson can win this battle. He needs to demonstrate he’s a more mature player and cut down the turnovers. If that happens then Raffa can compete for some time at the 2…I don’t see Johnson doing the same. What I’m afraid will happen is the two will each play 20 min a night (maybe Raffa a little more than Johnson) and neither will become the team QB.

Ambrose = 20-25

Hastings = 10-15

Barraza = 10-17

Arnholt = 0

Here’s the interesting group. Is Hastings and Barraza holding Arnholt’s spot? (wouldn’t that be great if Arnholt’s that good!) I’m sure Brown has some defensive assignments in mind for Hastings once conf play starts and then he goes for 15 tonight. Barraza is one of the pure shooters Brown is going to want on the floor. I think Ambrose is a 20-25 min a night guy

Harris = 30-35 min

When it comes down to it Harris will be on the floor most of the time

Connelly = 25-32

Allen = 8-10

Lindfors = 0

I was going to put Allen with the large group above but I think he belongs here. He might be one of the odd men out this year but the kid plays smart. I think he’s going to be a good 3 in this league but may need to wait for Harris to graduate

Gifford = 15-20

Covington = 10-20

McRae = 10-15

I’d like to see Gifford stay near 20+ and McRae get near 20+ himself. McRae needs to realize his work inside he 3-point line is going to earn him PT and not his work outside the 3-point line. Covington…I’m not a fan…if some of these young guys get physical (McRae are you listening) I think there are minutes here to be taken.

It's funny, I think Coach Brown said he wanted to trim the rotation after the CCSU game and then last night we play 12 guys. This is a good problem to have right now as no one has played themselves out of it.

I'd like to continue to see a 20/20 or so split with Raffa and Johnson and give whoever is playing better on a particular night the extra minutes over 20. Also, perhaps Raffa should start wearing a football helmet when he plays. I think rotating fresh guys on opposing PGs will wear them down through the game.

It's tough to say about the rest because we haven't seen Aronhalt or know what he's capable of. It's a tough transition for Barraza I'm sure. He's used to playing more minutes and being in the flow of the game and now he seems like the designated three point shooter when our opponent switches to zone.

Great move-- Allen, McRae, Lindfors, Glanton, Gifford, Harris, Metcalf-- that is an intriquing unit for next year. We can either just bull you (Gifford, Harris, Metcalf) or finesse you (McRae, Glanton, Lindfors, Harris, Allen). Jake O'Brien looked nice for BU last night...but put a Harris, Glanton, and a bulked up Lindfors on him...and he will be the average high school player I saw last year.

Our front line in two years SHOULD (key word) match up well with our explosive guards. Raffa, Aronholt, Barazza, Ambrose, Allen, Watts, Lindfors, Glanton, Metcalf...will all be together for two solid years...and a good portion for three years...with PUK tossed in.

Deciding minutes on this team is not a job I would want. Well, for Coach Browns salary, I'd give it a try.

I think Ambrose needs to be a 30 minute a game guy. At this point (forget Depaul) he is the most consistent option and appears that he will be that. Historically a good FT shooter so should be on the floor at the end of games. Solid rebounder to add to his offense.

Harris will and should get 30+/-, but he needs to find a way to score more than 2 points (no FT attempts in a game w/ 45 fouls called), no matter how good Columbia's D was (and I only listened so can't speak to that).

And I fully agree w/ Johnson and Raffa fighting it out nightly. Hopefully rewarded for good play rather than yanked for bad play.

The bigs, in my opinion, are a crapshoot at this point. Ride the hot hand, play matchups etc.

There are 200 combined minutes to be had in any given game, barring OT etc.

I'd split it up like this if I were the coach...I gotta agree though, no one is playing themselves out of the rotation, it would make Coach Browns job easier if someone did, but I'm glad we have as many quality options as we do.

- 40 minutes to be had at the 1 spot. I agree with playing both Mike and Anthony about even minutes, riding the hot hand until there is a clear separation. No matter what, these two guys will both get allot of playing time. At time they will probably be both on the floor at the same time.

~ I'd give Anthony 20 minutes

~ I'd give Mike 20 minutes

- 40 minutes to be had at the 2 spot. Most of the minutes here should (IMO) be Timmy's with Louis backing him up.

~ I'd give Timmy 30 minutes

~ I'd give Louis 10 minutes off the bench at the 2

~ I'd give Anthony 5 minutes at the 2

- 40 minutes to be had at the 3 spot. Most of the minutes IMO should be logged by Will, I'm hoping he starts to assert himself a bit more and get a little more consistent.

~ I'd give Will 25 minutes

~ I'd give Jerel 10 minutes

~ I'd give Louis 5 minutes at the 3

- 40 minutes at the 4 spot.

~ I'd give Brian 25 minutes here

~ I'd give Scotty 10 minutes here

~ I'd give Will 5 minutes at the 4

- 40 minutes to be had at the 5

~ I'd give Brett 25 minutes here

~ I'd give Jimmy 10 minutes here

* Total of 200 minutes split up between 10 guys *

Still probably 1 to many and this isn't even taking into account Logan coming back. Obviously game situations might dictate that these minutes fluctuate based on foul trouble and matchups not to mention this rough attempt at setting a rotation doesn't take into effect the mental state of the players, who thinks they need more playing time, would they be happy with a more limited role etc. I don't envy couch Brown trying to figure this out. I also recognize that it's not always as clear cut as position 1-5...we sometimes go with a smaller lineup that is quicker or more of a brute strength look etc. But for the purposes of this making some semblance of sense I chose to use 1-5.

From Bosi

I'd split it up like this if I were the coach...I gotta agree though, no one is playing themselves out of the rotation, it would make Coach Browns job easier if someone did, but I'm glad we have as many quality options as we do.

- 40 minutes to be had at the 1 spot. I agree with playing both Mike and Anthony about even minutes, riding the hot hand until there is a clear separation. No matter what, these two guys will both get allot of playing time. At time they will probably be both on the floor at the same time.

~ I'd give Anthony 20 minutes (getting 22.2)

~ I'd give Mike 20 minutes (getting 21.2)

- 40 minutes to be had at the 2 spot. Most of the minutes here should (IMO) be Timmy's with Louis backing him up.

~ I'd give Timmy 30 minutes (getting 21)

~ I'd give Louis 10 minutes off the bench at the 2 (getting 14.2)

- 40 minutes to be had at the 3 spot. Most of the minutes IMO should be logged by Will, I'm hoping he starts to assert himself a bit more and get a little more consistent.

~ I'd give Will 25 minutes(getting 28.6)

~ I'd give Jerel 10 minutes(getting13.2)

~ I'd give Brian 25 minutes here(getting 26.8)

~ I'd give Scotty 10 minutes here(getting 12.2)

~ I'd give Brett 25 minutes here(getting 20)

~ I'd give Jimmy 10 minutes here(getting 13.4)

I've put into your quote their actual minutes - I guess you and Coach think a like. Its easy to say spread the minutes but it's alot tougher when it has to be done in live action!!!!!

I guess you like what coach is doing and would only make very minute changes???????

From Bosi

~ I'd give Anthony 20 minutes (getting 22.2)

~ I'd give Mike 20 minutes (getting 21.2)

~ I'd give Timmy 30 minutes (getting 21)

~ I'd give Louis 10 minutes off the bench at the 2 (getting 14.2)

~ I'd give Will 25 minutes(getting 28.6)

~ I'd give Jerel 10 minutes(getting13.2)

~ I'd give Brian 25 minutes here(getting 26.8)

~ I'd give Scotty 10 minutes here(getting 12.2)

~ I'd give Brett 25 minutes here(getting 20)

~ I'd give Jimmy 10 minutes here(getting 13.4)

I've put into your quote their actual minutes - I guess you and Coach think a like. Its easy to say spread the minutes but it's alot tougher when it has to be done in live action!!!!!

I guess you like what coach is doing and would only make very minute changes???????

WOW...thanks Patch for drawing the comparison. Very interesting!

I think the rotation will often be context driven. Meaning, if we need defense, perhaps:

(disclaimer: I'm just guessing what our defensive and rebounding set would be)

Johnson

Hastings/Ambrose

Harris/Hastings

McRae/Connelly/Harris

Connelly/Gifford/Covington

Consider other sets, such as a 3-point Shooting Set, Rebounding Set, "we-need-a-basket-now set," and so forth!

To me this is the most interesting UA DI team so far. Coach has so many options that every time he makes a move we can (after the fact) question it, if its not successful.

If this team sticks together and continues to improve it could be a fun team come AE Tourney time (or sooner).

Can playing 10 -12 players every game be successful?

Everyone has good and bad days. It's nice to know you have the personnel to make changes when necessary. It also must make practices more effective when everyone is presented with daily challenges. It wasn't long ago when assistants had to play in scrimmage situations. I think playing more players presents potential problems to opponents in matchups and fatigue, which seemed to affect Columbia. It also keeps the "go to" guys fresh when needed, like the CCSU game.

Good news about Lindfors. From his quotes last year about coming to Albany and wanting to play right away, I was worried that not playing may create a bad situation. Red-Shirting is a good option for him and the team.

What are the practice restrictions for a player that Red-Shirts? Are there any.

Also.. I can not imagine any rotation projection that does not include Logan is correct... (Sorry Bosi). Coach Brown has mentioned his health in pretty much every interview & Blog in the early part of the season.. I think he will be a big part of things once the conference season rolls around. I would keep your projections the same and give all of Barrazas minutes to Logan come January. Just my opinion FWIW.

Archived