UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

Saturday's Opponent

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Tuned in to some of the Feast Week games on ESPN. Somewhat surprised to see Siena, a wannabe top 25 team, finish dead last at 0-3.

Just remember....some hayseed nation fans are projecting that they will blow us out by 30. The only reason they wont is if their coach calls the "dogs" off.

They all bought into the hype....and that's why they are as dissapointed as they are. Truthfully they were never a top 25 team and will be lucky to win a game in the NCAA if they get there. They can be had on Saturday.....but Bryant first.

Tennessee buried the Aints in the first half, decided to take the 2nd half off and goof around, and allowed the Aints from avoiding a 35+ point blowout on Thanksgiving.

After three expected loses in Orlando over the holiday, the Aints fanbase can come back to reality, and accept that if they are a top 75 team, they are lucky.

The Aints fans and the Aints players are as delusional as ever, and probably still think they are a top 50 team. They say they are going to blow us out of the water. There is going to be 14-15k people in the arena, not the typical 4k that the Aints usually get, because people want to see UAlbany.

They are going to PRESS, and we must attack the PRESS.

Getting the ball up the floor and attacking the basket on full court pressure and on defensive rebounds.

We need to attack on offense and keep the pressure on defense for 40 minutes.

But, Bryant is next and if we don't focus on them, they are capable of an upset.

I really love you guys...and despise the Siena fans on most accounts, but PLENTY of you are delusional.

Siena is a CLEAR favorite right now basketball-wise.

Sorry, that is the truth from a talent and tactical perspective.

I think they can be had....as they are a team somewhat reeling but make no mistake about it..... Siena will be the favorite as they should be, regardless of how not top 25 they've looked this weekend I'm under no false illusion that we are gonna roll over them. I'm looking for UA to be competitive and yes, I don't believe they will blow us out by 30 as some of their fans seem to think. But we will be the dogs.....I'm fine with that. They are the more talented team a more experienced team and a team that some of them thought was a top 25 team not to mention a sweet 16 team. The pressure is on them but I don't think we need to come in fearful of them.

The Aints fans and the Aints players are as delusional as ever, and probably still think they are a top 50 team. They say they are going to blow us out of the water. There is going to be 14-15k people in the arena, not the typical 4k that the Aints usually get, because people want to see UAlbany.

Getting the ball up the floor and attacking the basket on full court pressure and on defensive rebounds.

But, Bryant is next and if we don't focus on them, they are capable of an upset.

Slight correction- you mean the 7,000 Siena normally gets

Game should be fun, really UA is sitting in a good position. It’s a game where they really don’t have much pressure on them- Siena is supposed to win this game. We all know how that can turn out- look no further than Fran’s 1st year- UA was the clear favorite and Siena won the game. If UA can handle Siena’s pressure defense the game will be close, if not Siena should win. Any Siena fans predicting a 30 point win are on crack. The game will be good for UA’s young players. They get to play in front of a big crowd in their home city against a pressing defense. From what I have seen of him I really like Raffa he is going to be a hell of a player for you guys over the next 4 years .

Right, when is the last time Siena drew 7,000 for 3 straight home games or say 5 out of 7 without 1 of the 2 being either UA or Syracuse.

1999-2000?

As often as they think they are a top 25 team?

If UA can handle Siena’s pressure defense the game will be close, if not Siena should win. Any Siena fans predicting a 30 point win are on crack. The game will be good for UA’s young players.

From what I have seen of him I really like Raffa he is going to be a hell of a player for you guys over the next 4 years .

Agree with most of this and I think all the games have been good for UA's young players. There certainly have been amble learning opportunities from each of the first 7 games.

Game should be fun, really UA is sitting in a good position. It’s a game where they really don’t have much pressure on them- Siena is supposed to win this game. We all know how that can turn out- look no further than Fran’s 1st year- UA was the clear favorite and Siena won the game. If UA can handle Siena’s pressure defense the game will be close, if not Siena should win. Any Siena fans predicting a 30 point win are on crack. The game will be good for UA’s young players. They get to play in front of a big crowd in their home city against a pressing defense. From what I have seen of him I really like Raffa he is going to be a hell of a player for you guys over the next 4 years .

Tony,

I agree with most of your post....the key will be how well UA is able to handle the press. We all saw the trouble it gave UA last season, we were basically man handled and almost run out of the gym as we were unable to deal with the press what so ever. Win or lose (I'm certainly not predicting a win even though I'd love to see one) this game will do wonders for our young squad in preparing them for the AE schedule.

The TUC should be rocking and could be near a sellout, this thing just keeps getting bigger every year.

'Game should be fun, really UA is sitting in a good position.'

I travel to this game every year and I don't sit in a good position. I sit in the end zone.

From what I've seen, Siena is a more talented team, until they have to go to their bench. UA is going to have to beat the full court pressure early, shoot a better percentage than they have been, and is going to have to get a few of them into foul trouble.

Other than that, I see this as the same story. We play in their home building, as visitors - which is at least a 5 point advantage for the home team. On the one hand I'm kicking myself for breaking a pledge not to attend without a better deal. On the other hand I haven't missed one since the Nixon Administration and believe if I start breaking my routines, my life might become more exciting than I can handle and the downward spiral will accelerate.

For the seven UA players who 'never heard of Siena' - enjoy the crowd of 14,000. You won't see it again for another year. (Same goes for all you Saint Indians fans). Please don't tell me that the game has no more significance than any other game. That's an insult to people like me - and there are many of us.

'Game should be fun, really UA is sitting in a good position.'

I travel to this game every year and I don't sit in a good position. I sit in the end zone.

From what I've seen, Siena is a more talented team, until they have to go to their bench. UA is going to have to beat the full court pressure early, shoot a better percentage than they have been, and is going to have to get a few of them into foul trouble.

Other than that, I see this as the same story. We play in their home building, as visitors - which is at least a 5 point advantage for the home team. On the one hand I'm kicking myself for breaking a pledge not to attend without a better deal. On the other hand I haven't missed one since the Nixon Administration and believe if I start breaking my routines, my life might become more exciting than I can handle and the downward spiral will accelerate.

For the seven UA players who 'never heard of Siena' - enjoy the crowd of 14,000. You won't see it again for another year. (Same goes for all you Saint Indians fans). Please don't tell me that the game has no more significance than any other game. That's an insult to people like me - and there are many of us.

A good portion of those that travel like you do are c-N-UH fans....if it didn't mean anything, people wouldn't be coming out of the woodwork's. It is kind of a big deal, what other sporting even in the area gets this kind of crowd?

We've already determined your average attendance... 4-5k.

There's no need here to try and pump up the numbers.

The additional 10k is a treat for both teams. Both teams don't play in front of big crowds, except for a few road games.... The Aints get to play in front of a big crowd Sat. - that should be a treat for them as well. The only other times the teams play in front of crowds like this, is in the NCAA tournament games.

Both teams have the same pressure placed on their shoulders. It's the game determining who is Albany's superior NCAA D1 basketball team for the year, in the city of Albany. Proof of how big the game is: how your boys were jumping up and down like little school girls after last year's win.

The gap has narrowed. Each year, both teams have the chance of winning.

To be fair....c-N-UH got 6626 into the building against Boise and 7575 against Cornell, for an average of 7100 in two games. Say what you will but for a mid major from a borderline mid major conference c-N-UH has very very good fan support. I'm far from being a c-N-UH apologist but you gotta give them credit, they draw very well. They just play in a bad facility that is simply to big for them. If they were in a place that could fit 8K max they would be golden. 7K in the TUC is not good. If we get 14K into the TUC on Saturday it will be a HUGE boost in their average attendance numbers and they stand to make a ton of money. Although if memory serves we get a nice payday also.

If you want equatable terms (and yes I don't think they are equatable right now) we have to win some games. 1 and 8 or what ever it is does not give us a whole lot of leverage unless we want to walk away. Why would we walk away and give up 30K or 40K (I hope I'm not way off on this number, just a quick guess) and a chance to play in front of a large number of UA fans, more then we get at any other game. I'd love to see a couple of win in this contract cycle so we can be in a better bargaining position next time the renewal comes around.

In our three home games we are averaging 2546...hopefully that number will pick up a bit or it will be a sizable drop from last year. I suspect it will once we get into conference action.

Fair enough... I didn't realize that this year's attendance so far has been significantly higher than previous years.

And if someone ends up quoting last year's average attendance at their home bball games, be sure to exclude the UAlbany game.... which would DRASTICALLY skew the number.

Still, having a packed tu center (14k) is completely foreign to them.

Archived