UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

UB Lobbying

ATL_DANE

I'm sure Glick is probably worried about what this would do to CUNY funding.

When is someone from the Capital Region going to go on record opposing this bill. I haven't read anything, have any of you?\

Here is Stony Brook's companion bill which is in Higher Ed Committee.

http://assembly.state.ny.us/leg/?bn=A07841

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Finally some hope in stopping UB2020!

SUNY Buffalo, the lesson here is to work with your colleagues (aka 4 SUNY Centers) to move ahead. The "only us" approach is doomed to failure. You should have learned that in kindergarden.

----------------------------------

http://www.buffalonews.com/home/story/696336.html

Quotes

“The bill itself has numerous problems and opposition from various quarters,” said Assemblywoman Deborah Glick, a Manhattan Democrat.

While UB took a step closer to achieving more autonomy Wednesday when the Senate approved the bill, it still has to get the OK from the Assembly.

And before it’s voted upon, the bill must pass through the Assembly’s Higher Education Committee. Glick, chairwoman of that committee, indicated it isn’t going anywhere.

“I can tell you, in its current form, it’s certainly not going to be voted on by the committee,” Glick said.

This quote is important:

“I can tell you, in its current form, it’s certainly not going to be voted on by the committee,” Glick said.

Because that means that the Senate would have to amend their bill to match whatever changes the Assembly wants to make and revote. With only a short amount of session left, it would have to be a priority of both houses to move it quickly again through the Senate.

Finally some hope in stopping UB2020!

SUNY Buffalo, the lesson here is to work with your colleagues (aka 4 SUNY Centers) to move ahead. The "only us" approach is doomed to failure. You should have learned that in kindergarden.

----------------------------------

http://www.buffalonews.com/home/story/696336.html

Quotes

"The bill itself has numerous problems and opposition from various quarters," said Assemblywoman Deborah Glick, a Manhattan Democrat.

While UB took a step closer to achieving more autonomy Wednesday when the Senate approved the bill, it still has to get the OK from the Assembly.

And before it's voted upon, the bill must pass through the Assembly's Higher Education Committee. Glick, chairwoman of that committee, indicated it isn't going anywhere.

"I can tell you, in its current form, it's certainly not going to be voted on by the committee," Glick said.

This quote is important:

"I can tell you, in its current form, it's certainly not going to be voted on by the committee," Glick said.

Because that means that the Senate would have to amend their bill to match whatever changes the Assembly wants to make and revote. With only a short amount of session left, it would have to be a priority of both houses to move it quickly again through the Senate.

Good point. Timing is very important here, especially given the fact that Zimpher is doing her own review of the system. There was a part of that article that I thought was interesting - the point about Simpson not giving Zimpher any time to review the bill and give her input, officially at least. You would think that UB would want Zimpher on their side, but they didn't even give her a chance.

Perhaps they know something we don't or got some sort of bad indication about Zimpher's plans for UB.

The thing that irks me about this whole mess is that I really agree with UB. What is in the bill is essential for the future success of UB. The same types of changes are necessary for all SUNY centers future success. If nothing else, UB has done the leg work to put pen on paper for what kind of changes the system needs.

The autonomy is necessary for the future growth. I'm just not sure why UB didn't get the other SUNY centers in on this. I think if they had, this bill would have been more likely to pass.

Has anyone been able to figure out what the negatives to UB would have been had the other SUNY centers been included in the bill? To me it doesn't look like anything would have chaged for UB.

There are no negatives to UB including the other SUNY Centers. They're just being A-holes. It was in everyone's best interest to pass this bill and include all four centers. They're acting like the spoiled child that says "I'm taking my ball and going home". There is plenty of room in New York for 4 state research centers. As I've said before, UC has 10 campuses in their system. Most states have at least two schools... Texas also jumps to mind.

I reiterate, they were being A-holes and this legislation should fail. If they were in kindergarten their report card would say "does not work and play well with others". F

Draft of an email template to send to Higher Ed Committee members. Feel free to change whatever you like. I haven't quite finished it yet but I just thought it would be easy for people to start with something.

And BTW, I took someone's structure from the UB board and changed the focus to amendment. :D

To whom it may concern:

I write this letter in an attempt to implore you to consider the AMENDMENT of the UB 2020 Flexibility and Economic Growth Act to include all four SUNY centers (Buffalo, Albany, Stony Brook and Binghamton). The SUNY system, as currently operated, treats the SUNY centers (and other SUNY colleges) as part of a NYS agency system. Doing so stifles growth and ultimately hinders the ability for New York citizens to obtain the best education possible through our public university system.

The UB 2020 Flexibility and Economic Growth Act is the most complete and ultimately viable solution that I have seen to date. However, the bill is not without its faults. The bill, as presented and passed in the Senate last week, only applies to free UBuffalo from the beurocratic shackles of the SUNY system. This bill should apply to all four SUNY centers. As the flagship Universities of the SUNY system, the four SUNY Centers are the forefront of education in NYS. This bill, if amended, will allow the Universities to reach the forefront of education in the US and the World. Passing the bill as written, will certainly help UBuffalo reach its goals. However, I implore you to reach beyond just Buffalo. This is a chance to take serious steps in furthering the development of Governor Rockefeller's SUNY vision.

Amending and passing this bill is not only vital for the growth and continued viability of the four University Centers as major research institutions, but also the critical piece in revitalizing the struggling economies of the four locations in which the SUNY centers sit.

If you have not yet taken the time to review the full details of this act, I beg of you to do so at your earliest convenience. I urge you to reach out to all FOUR SUNY CENTERS for this insight as well. I have no doubt that you will see the inherent benefits that would result of this action being put into place for all four SUNY Centers.

I thank you for your time, consideration, and most importantly, your diligent commitment to public service and the betterment of New York State.

With kindest regards,

Please feel free to use this e-mail list. Most e-mail providers (yahoo, google, hotmail etc.) separate multiple recipients with a comma, you can simply cut and paste this list (Higher Ed.) and send the BCC. I used the e-mail template from the UAlbany blog. We should advocate for the inclusion of the other SUNY Centers not necessarily for this bill to be killed IMO.

Please remember to BCC

GlickD@assembly.state.ny.us,

AlfanoT@assembly.state.ny.us,

BarronI@assembly.state.ny.us,

ButlerM@assembly.state.ny.us,

CahillK@assembly.state.ny.us,

Castronl@assembly.state.ny.us,

ConteJ@assembly.state.ny.us,

CusickM@assembly.state.ny.us,

EddingP@assembly.state.ny.us,

EngleS@assembly.state.ny.us,

FitzpatrickM@assembly.state.ny.us,

GottfrR@assembly.state.ny.us,

JaffeeE@assembly.state.ny.us,

LavineC@assembly.state.ny.us,

LiftonB@assembly.state.ny.us,

LupardoD@assembly.state.ny.us,

MageeW@assembly.state.ny.us,

MillerJ@assembly.state.ny.us,

MorellJ@assembly.state.ny.us,

PaulinA@assembly.state.ny.us,

PeopleC@assembly.state.ny.us,

PeraltJ@assembly.state.ny.us,

PheffeA@assembly.state.ny.us,

QuinnJ@assembly.state.ny.us,

StirpeA@assembly.state.ny.us

Things just got a little more interesting:

http://www.timesunion.com/AspStories/story...?storyID=808223

ALBANY -- In a dramatic late afternoon overthrow of the Senate leadership, Senate Republicans joined by two dissident Democrats took control of the upper chamber and installed Sen. Pedro Espada as president.

Eventually, Breslin recognized the vote and left with lawyer Keith St. John so that Republican lawyer Jack Casey and Winner could take the stage. After Espada and Skelos were sworn in, Libous won another resolution to restructure the powerful Rules Committee and cancel all chairmanships and committee appointments.

"Legally, we're absolutely assured," Espada said. "This is about getting a government that works."

Clearly shaken, Democrats left the chamber after the leadership vote, although they first attempted to adjourn. That vote was rejected by Republicans and Espada's allies. As the new leadership began their actions, the lights were turned off in the chamber. They were put back on five minutes later.

Assuming this holds up against forthcoming legal challenges, this is a huge victory for SUNY, IMHO. Letf-wing and right-wing politics aside for the moment, Stavisky (D), the chairperson of the Higher Education Committee was in favor or UB 2020, helped it get through the Senate, and has a son who lobbies for SUNY Buffalo. Moreover, Stavisky is an alumna of CUNY. And it is rumored to be true that she is a more of a fan of CUNY than SUNY, whatever this means.

So, with the flipping of the Senate, I assume we get new chairpersons, etc. Would LaValle (alumnus of Stonybrook, I think) be placed back in control of the Higher Education Comm.? Who knows, as long as it's not Toby A. Stavisky.

My $.02 and reaction to the current events on New York's capital hill. Go DANES! Is it basketball season yet? :(

Remember this Republican coup was engineered and backed by Golisano, who even though he recently announced he was leaving NY for Florida, has always been an advocate of making Buffalo into the University of NY.

Assuming this holds up against forthcoming legal challenges, this is a huge victory for SUNY, IMHO. Letf-wing and right-wing politics aside for the moment, Stavisky (D), the chairperson of the Higher Education Committee was in favor or UB 2020, helped it get through the Senate, and has a son who lobbies for SUNY Buffalo. Moreover, Stavisky is an alumna of CUNY. And it is rumored to be true that she is a more of a fan of CUNY than SUNY, whatever this means.

So, with the flipping of the Senate, I assume we get new chairpersons, etc. Would LaValle (alumnus of Stonybrook, I think) be placed back in control of the Higher Education Comm.? Who knows, as long as it's not Toby A. Stavisky.

My $.02 and reaction to the current events on New York's capital hill. Go DANES! Is it basketball season yet? :(

Great...that's what we need more of...SB's sugar daddy funneling more funding to SB, what a new football stadium and a complete renovation of a fairly new arena not enough for them? Pick your poison....Stavisky (pro UB) or LaValle (keep rewarding the failure that is SB).

Great...that's what we need more of...SB's sugar daddy funneling more funding to SB, what a new football stadium and a complete renovation of a fairly new arena not enough for them? Pick your poison....Stavisky (pro UB) or LaValle (keep rewarding the failure that is SB).

That's what happens when you have no champion for UAlbany in the Senate. Neil Breslin was at the helm of the Senate when the Republicans overthrew the dems. He voted FOR the UB2020 bill in the senate........and not surprisingly, he didn't respond to an email asking him why.

As much as I despised Bruno, what a waste it was to have him in office and not get him on board with the athletic capital funding. The man was incredibly powerful. I was reading a quote the other day from his office after the stadium wasn't included in the 2007 budget. It was about the fact tha Bruno was never even told the stadium was in the Assembly bill and not included in the Senate bill...... :glare:

That's what happens when you have no champion for UAlbany in the Senate. Neil Breslin was at the helm of the Senate when the Republicans overthrew the dems. He voted FOR the UB2020 bill in the senate........and not surprisingly, he didn't respond to an email asking him why.

As much as I despised Bruno, what a waste it was to have him in office and not get him on board with the athletic capital funding. The man was incredibly powerful. I was reading a quote the other day from his office after the stadium wasn't included in the 2007 budget. It was about the fact tha Bruno was never even told the stadium was in the Assembly bill and not included in the Senate bill...... :glare:

Yeh...*sigh*

As much as we might despise him now especially in light of his recent legal troubles, he got stuff done for this area. We probably would be building our stadium by now if he was brought on board a couple of years back.

Yeh...*sigh*

As much as we might despise him now especially in light of his recent legal troubles, he got stuff done for this area. We probably would be building our stadium by now if he was brought on board a couple of years back.

AGREED!

Archived