UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

Tournament technical fouls

I was very surprised by the two technical fouls called on Gifford and Connelly on Sunday, but I am keenly aware of my obvious prejudice and figured I was just over-reacting because they were called on "my" team.

But, the technical foul called on Siena's Ronald Moore last night was even more absurd, and I should note that there was one common official.

None of these three calls even seemed boarderline good to my eyes, and especially given the time of season and ramifications. I'm just curious to ask everyone's thoughts.

I was very surprised by the two technical fouls called on Gifford and Connelly on Sunday, but I am keenly aware of my obvious prejudice and figured I was just over-reacting because they were called on "my" team.

But, the technical foul called on Siena's Ronald Moore last night was even more absurd, and I should note that there was one common official.

None of these three calls even seemed boarderline good to my eyes, and especially given the time of season and ramifications. I'm just curious to ask everyone's thoughts.

I'm struggling to remember Connelly's technical. Gifford was slammed hard, and had good reason to trip him up. They should have reviewed the situation and IF ANYTHING, called a foul on umbc. But, certainly not a technical in a semi final for that situation.

As for Moore, that was absolutely ridiculous. The ball bounced right into his hands, and he turned and tried to throw it to the official. Amazingly stupid call.

I'm struggling to remember Connelly's technical. Gifford was slammed hard, and had good reason to trip him up. They should have reviewed the situation and IF ANYTHING, called a foul on umbc. But, certainly not a technical in a semi final for that situation.

As for Moore, that was absolutely ridiculous. The ball bounced right into his hands, and he turned and tried to throw it to the official. Amazingly stupid call.

Even though I watched most of last nights Siena v Niagara game.....I didn't see the Moore play. Didn't the same official call the tech as the one who called UA for our two techs? IIRC the same guy called Giff and Brian.

I don't have a problem with Giff's T, he grabbed the player's leg to basically tackle him, in response to an elbow/neck wrap - on which the call was a travel (and THERE'S yer problem).

You could see on the replay of the game last night, Connelly said something to the ref after the foul on Ambrose, must have been a magic word.

Moore's tech was awful. Maybe one of the worst I've seen. He did nothing to get a foul as far as I could see.

In the UNH-Bing game Dane Dilagro got a tech in pretty much the same way Connelly did. He must have said something as he turned up court. I thought it was bizarre because Rivera had made a huge fuss over a foul call right before that with no effect.

In my opinion, and I also had the benefit of watching the game on TW3 and seeing it the situation replayed a couple of times..

Gifford traveled

Gilliam from UMBC absolutely clocked Gifford knocking him backwards to the floor

Gilliam almost stepped on Giff

Giff grabbed his leg

legitimate "T" for Giff's action

with that said Gilliam after the travel flagrantly fouled Giff knocking him to the floor.

the travel call against Giff doesnot excuse or permit a player to aggressively foul another because the clock is stopped.

at worst it should have been a "Double T" with a flagarant on Gilliam

Gilliam is the same kid who got a flagarant with ejection for hitting a Matt Wolff below the belt in a BU/UMBC game this year.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Connelly "T" I originally thought was on Timmy for jumping up and down after being called for a foul.

Brian must of said something to the ref, but in that situation the ref showed have said something to Brian and not "T'd" him. If Brian said a magic word then the "T" was deserved.

In my opinion, and I also had the benefit of watching the game on TW3 and seeing it the situation replayed a couple of times..

Gifford traveled

Gilliam from UMBC absolutely clocked Gifford knocking him backwards to the floor

Gilliam almost stepped on Giff

Giff grabbed his leg

legitimate "T" for Giff's action

with that said Gilliam after the travel flagrantly fouled Giff knocking him to the floor.

the travel call against Giff doesnot excuse or permit a player to aggressively foul another because the clock is stopped.

at worst it should have been a "Double T" with a flagarant on Gilliam

Gilliam is the same kid who got a flagarant with ejection for hitting a Matt Wolff below the belt in a BU/UMBC game this year.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Connelly "T" I originally thought was on Timmy for jumping up and down after being called for a foul.

Brian must of said something to the ref, but in that situation the ref showed have said something to Brian and not "T'd" him. If Brian said a magic word then the "T" was deserved.

I forgot about Gilliams hack-a-nut on Wolff!

I wonder why he never came to UA???? ;)

1. Is this the same Gilliam who was being recruited by UAlbany a year or so ago? If so, how did he end up at UMBC. Said differently, what happened with him coming to UA, as I vaguely recall was the plan?

2. Doesn't suprise me that Gifford got the technical. The America East hates him, and I have no idea why. I think he gets shafted by the refs more than any big man in the league. Ironically, that incident with Gifford was about the same very spot on the floor where Giffy got into a heightened tustle last year in our home game against Maine, at which time I believe Gifford received his last technical foul.

Sad to say, that was a huge play in that game. Not only the foul on Giff and the shots that followed, but our coach always does the right thing and sat the player down. Seemed to get Giff out of his rhythm and he was not as effective (and I don't think even on the floor as much) in the second half.

Sad to say, that was a huge play in that game. Not only the foul on Giff and the shots that followed, but our coach always does the right thing and sat the player down. Seemed to get Giff out of his rhythm and he was not as effective (and I don't think even on the floor as much) in the second half.

coach brown gave it to gifford on the side lines. it was a dumb play and he made a mistake. his adrenaline was probably through the roof, but that is no excuse. should have learned from that maine game. I remeber that game clearly. It was like a 7 point swing.

coach brown gave it to gifford on the side lines. it was a dumb play and he made a mistake. his adrenaline was probably through the roof, but that is no excuse. should have learned from that maine game. I remeber that game clearly. It was like a 7 point swing.

I don't know. At 20 years old, somebody hammers me(if I were 6'11" 270lbs) like Gilliam did after the whistle, we're gonna have a problem. I'm older and wiser now and in the heat of battle would still react worse than Giff did.

I see both sides on this issue but Giff just can't get that "T". But I must admit if someone assaulted me the way Gilliam did, I don't know if I would have the self control I'm expecting Giff to have.

I wonder if the league or the officials reviews stuff like that for future consideration regarding a player or an official.

1. Is this the same Gilliam who was being recruited by UAlbany a year or so ago? If so, how did he end up at UMBC. Said differently, what happened with him coming to UA, as I vaguely recall was the plan?

2. Doesn't suprise me that Gifford got the technical. The America East hates him, and I have no idea why. I think he gets shafted by the refs more than any big man in the league. Ironically, that incident with Gifford was about the same very spot on the floor where Giffy got into a heightened tustle last year in our home game against Maine, at which time I believe Gifford received his last technical foul.

If memory serves me correctly, Gilliam committed to UA, and then decommitted and decided to go to prep school for a year before deciding on UMBC...not exactly sure of any details besides that

Archived