UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

New dorms to be built

UAalum72

T-U story announces construction of more dorms on the southeast end of the campus, beginning next year.

The councilman who complains of a lack of notice apparently missed the environmental impact scoping meeting held last March.

The T-U also had an interview with George Philip yesterday but I didn't see it online. More personal than university-related.

i think it is a good idea. It seems they are trying their best to get all upperclass students out of the regular dorms (be it these new dorms and empire commons are for them) to make room for frosh and sophs.

This brings two ideas to my mind...

1) Are they trying to get rid of the downtown dorms?

2) While some hope something will come of Project 2010, I would think the plans are shrinking, being one of the soccer fields they wished to put in is right in this area?

I think it is a good move overall.

i think it is a good idea. It seems they are trying their best to get all upperclass students out of the regular dorms (be it these new dorms and empire commons are for them) to make room for frosh and sophs.

This brings two ideas to my mind...

1) Are they trying to get rid of the downtown dorms?

I doubt it, as enrollment is still growing, however slowly

2) While some hope something will come of Project 2010, I would think the plans are shrinking, being one of the soccer fields they wished to put in is right in this area?

Here's the map from the environmental impact meeting (Project numbers have no relation to priority). There was only one practice field in the area of the housing project.

We need the Harriman campus. Now!

UAlbany is squeezed in on the uptown campus. There isn't any more growth available there. Yet right next door is a campus of equal size waiting to be used for a worthy purpose. The state should transfer that campus from that state agency to the state university. The economic impact of UAlbany certainly outweighs what the state is getting from the site... which isn't much. Move those workers to another office building on less prime real estate.

Take that campus and build a stadium, more housing and add in some shops & restaurants. Build the college community you expect to see at a state center/flagship.

By the way, I know we have a few people in there but we need to go waaaaay beyond that.

Haven't most of the state workers there been moved downtown?

No, only one of the buildings was demolished, none of Pataki's development plans have found any takers, the ten-year plan to move the civil servants out of all but two of the buildings is at least five years behind schedule.

But there's still a fair amount of room on the west end of the Harriman Campus, especially if you rearrange the roads while building.

]

Any chance the dorm can be multi-purpose? Say a dorm/football stadium. Call it the Gridiron Quad.

Gotta love DP's posts.

Yet right next door is a campus of equal size waiting to be used for a worthy purpose. The state should transfer that campus from that state agency to the state university. The economic impact of UAlbany certainly outweighs what the state is getting from the site... which isn't much. Move those workers to another office building on less prime real estate.

Harriman has been discussed in other threads but in regards to the stadium... this is something I posted a bit ago from another thread: I think the complex is a subsidiary of the Empire State Dev. Corp which is a public authority. Whether who owns it I didn't find that when I looked quickly online ( http://www.harrimancampus.com/ ) . If the state holds the property then I don't know if it could donate land to UA... maybe transfer the land over to UA and have them own the land since both are State entities but I don't know much about how different state entities donate land and sharing (doesn't seem to happen often haha).

On your post though, Harriman houses more than just one state agency, I believe there are many.

Harriman campus provides the perfect opportunity for UA ... unfortunately, Mayor Jennings, County Exec. Breslin and others have little interest in new public development on that site... all about private investment/increasing the tax roll ... but it is sweet to contemplate what could be

• 4 weeks later...
I am posting this just because ppl have mentioned Harriman...

UPDATE: $40M food lab planned for Albany's Harriman campus

http://www.timesunion.com/AspStories/story...?storyID=828839

What a stupid use of this prime real estate. UAlbany is completely boxed in on a tiny campus. Instead of turning that space over to the university, their going to build a state building there. They can contruct that building anywhere. UAlbany will eventually be forced to buy land in other locations and then shuttle students and staff around. Bone head state government.

Any chance the dorm can be multi-purpose? Say a dorm/football stadium. Call it the Gridiron Quad.

Not as far-fetched as it sounds. D3 Springfield College in MA has a housing complex adjacent to football stadium

I couldn't find a good photo, but here's the description from their website

"About the Townhouses

Built in 1991, the Townhouses served as the first apartment-style residence hall on campus. The Townhouses are next to Stagg Field, where most fall and spring sporting events are played."

I seem to remember from a campus visit that from some rooms you can see the field.

It must not be a huge issue for UA... since they are on the board....

"In May of 2004, the Empire State Development Corporation (ESDC) established a subsidiary, the Harriman Research and Technology Development Corporation (HRTDC), to lead the redevelopment process. Its Board includes representation from each of the major stakeholders – the New York State Office of General Services (OGS), the University at Albany, the City of Albany and the Upstate New York’s Tech Valley business leaders."

Archived