UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

Win the Chance to Attend a Men's Basketball Closed-Door Practice

Who wants to pool resources? There is no way I am finding ten people that would go to a scrimmage...

Win the Chance to Attend a Men's Basketball Closed-Door Practice

Here is your chance to be the first to see the '09-'10 men's basketball team in action. Place a bid for an exclusive opportunity for you and nine of your friends to watch a UAlbany men's basketball closed-door practice. Take part in this exciting auction to benefit the men’s basketball program.

The winner of the auction and nine lucky guests will attend a UAlbany men's basketball closed door practice Saturday, Oct. 17, at 9 a.m. and a Q&A session with the players and coaching staff. Following practice, join Coach Will Brown for a tour of the facilities and a private lunch with the coaches and players. After lunch, take in the two-time NEC champion Great Danes football team as they take on the Bryant Bulldogs at 1 p.m.

Start your online bidding today! The bidding will close at 1 p.m. Friday, Sept. 11. The three highest bidders will be invited to join Coach Brown for cocktails and dinner on Monday, Sept. 14, at the UAlbany Men’s Golf Classic at Pinehaven Country Club in Guilderland where the auction will conclude and the winner will be announced.

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm totally in as long as Haggy isn't the one holding the money. The best part about going to the Golf Outing would be skipping to the dinner and drinks at the end without endangering any players or coaches by exposing them to my golf "game."

I'm totally in as long as Haggy isn't the one holding the money. The best part about going to the Golf Outing would be skipping to the dinner and drinks at the end without endangering any players or coaches by exposing them to my golf "game."

The only problem I see is that becuase the top three bidders get invited to the cocktail reception we would have to have an internal raffle or something to see who to send.

I do not think I can make the golf tournament this year (must guard my vacay time.) Even so, I wss thinking about paying for the cocktail reception.

BTW, it looks like DP has graciously agreed to front the money....

Clever, Haggy. That's why I'll be getting a seperate check from you at the Pub.

Three questions:

-where is the online auction?

-does this mean the end of the intersquad scrimmage? (were we not to win the raffle)

-was there any mention of what Varsity Club trips there would be at the open house the other day?

Three questions:

-does this mean the end of the intersquad scrimmage? (were we not to win the raffle)

-was there any mention of what Varsity Club trips there would be at the open house the other day?

I'll answer #3 and leave 1 and 2 to others.

They mentioned a bus to Syracuse and others will be determined for conference games once the conference schedule is releases. There also will be pre game gatherings before both Florida games at sites to be determined.

Also the lunch schedule was handed out. I don't remember if that was posted, so here it is:

9/17 Coach Ford and Coach Brown

12/3 Coach Patterson and Coach Brown

1/21Coach Brown, Coach Vives and Coach Marr

3/4 No coaches specifically mentioned, but Ualbany lacrosse, baseball and softball

BTW, there was a choice of either a purple shirt this year or gold. Most people took the purple shirt while I was there.

BTW, it looks like DP has graciously agreed to front the money....

Clever, Haggy. That's why I'll be getting a seperate check from you at the Pub.

Three questions:

I would also like to know if this auction means an end to the scrimmage open to the public?? I know raising money is very important, but so is maximum exposure of programs. I am getting a little concerned that the program is forgetting the common fan. For instance in the varsity club survey last spring I asked if there was any thought or concern about "lunches" which are difficult or not available to the "working fan". I received no reply and now I find out that the scrimmage may be open only to the highest bidder?? Also, working people generally mean they have incomes and perhaps money; who exactly are we going after with these lunches, either the elite or the un-employed?? I think both of these ideas-- auction and lunches need to be given some more thought.

I would also like to know if this auction means an end to the scrimmage open to the public?? I know raising money is very important, but so is maximum exposure of programs. I am getting a little concerned that the program is forgetting the common fan. For instance in the varsity club survey last spring I asked if there was any thought or concern about "lunches" which are difficult or not available to the "working fan". I received no reply and now I find out that the scrimmage may be open only to the highest bidder?? Also, working people generally mean they have incomes and perhaps money; who exactly are we going after with these lunches, either the elite or the un-employed?? I think both of these ideas-- auction and lunches need to be given some more thought.

I don't understand the negative attitude towards the lunches.

Would I prefer something in the evening. Of course. But they don't have to do the lunches and I think they are good thing for the coaches to do and I appreciate them taking the time for the fans. I don't know if I can make all the lunches, but I will make the ones I can.

Should the golf tournament be cancelled too since that is during the day when people are at work. I can't make it because of work. Maybe someone can install lights so we could have it from 7PM to 11PM.

More people were interested in having lunches, so there are 4 lunches scheduled. When there were lunches before at the Armory Center, they were always pretty well attended. Most working people, not just elite, get lunch breaks. I know, I always made the trip from downtown Albany. If we had events in the evening, we couldn't accomodate people working the night shift. There's always going to be persons who can't attend events. If they aren't successful, then there will be other events planned. I think the auction is for additional access to a closed door practice. I don't think it was replacing the scrimmage which was part of homecoming weekend. I don't know when practice officially starts, it may be after homecoming this year. If it is, I don't know when an open scrimmage would be held. I'll be glad to inquire.

During the homecoming weekend there will be just the closed door practice. From what I can gather the rest of us will not be left out in the cold though..... ;)

When does practice start. I thought it was around Oct 15th, but I don't know exactly.

Last year homecoming was 10/25, this year it is 10/10 so last year basketball was already practicing for at least a week.

During the homecoming weekend there will be just the closed door practice. From what I can gather the rest of us will not be left out in the cold though..... ;)

When does practice start. I thought it was around Oct 15th, but I don't know exactly.

Last year homecoming was 10/25, this year it is 10/10 so last year basketball was already practicing for at least a week.

bob,

First day of practice is Oct. 16th.

EDIT: I'm not 100% sure that the practice that is being auctioned off will be on homecoming weekend, based on the dates you posted, I don't know how it would be possible as teams can't start practicing until the 16th (Friday). The more I think about it......I assume that the auctioned practice would be on that Saturday the 17th. I know that the practice being auctioned happens to be the second practice of the season so the dates would work there.

More people were interested in having lunches, so there are 4 lunches scheduled. When there were lunches before at the Armory Center, they were always pretty well attended. Most working people, not just elite, get lunch breaks. I know, I always made the trip from downtown Albany. If we had events in the evening, we couldn't accomodate people working the night shift. There's always going to be persons who can't attend events. If they aren't successful, then there will be other events planned. I think the auction is for additional access to a closed door practice. I don't think it was replacing the scrimmage which was part of homecoming weekend. I don't know when practice officially starts, it may be after homecoming this year. If it is, I don't know when an open scrimmage would be held. I'll be glad to inquire.

Bob and 73, I do not really mean to be negative about the lunches, golf or auction scrimmage. Actually my point is just the opposite, the more activities and fund raising the better. My point is, include some evenings and/or weekends so more people may be able to attend and hence more money and interest generated. To not have the open scrimmage or at least a second one open to all is counter productive to maximum exposure and developing fan interest and support. Charge admission or pass the hat would be better than the auction idea; or have a second scrimmage open to all. The more things the better!!

Archived