UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

It’s hard to tell much from A&M’s romp over SFA, and SFA’s national rankings of 10, 12, and 13 seem right this early on with not much to go on. TAMU piled up 539 yards, and held SFA to 31 net rushing yards but 235 passing – Jeremy Moses is setting all kinds of passing records at SFA and for the Southland Conference, and he has some receivers to throw to, no doubt. But even top 10-15 FCS teams should be able to get more than 31 yards rushing against a middle-of-pack Big 12 team, so who knows.

On Saturday, SFA could be either really determined to get things rolling at the expense of what they are considering a walkover opponent (result: blow-out), or they be figuring to coast while waiting to take on a legitimate ranked FCS team the next week (result: upset, or near-upset, or at least a respectable loss to a team playing regularly a step or two above us . . .for now!) I mean, no loss is “respectable,” but I think SFA will be the best team we play in the regular season.

Interesting trivia we can’t forget playing someone like SFA: almost all of their players are Texas-bred, and so SFA is drawing from 1,200+ public schools and another 200+ privates in Texas, almost all of them playing 10-game schedules (state champions play 15-16 games). (A saying: “The only place you can be rabid without getting shot by animal control is in Texas, where you can be rabid about high school football.” Two weekends ago, the two arch rival high schools in Austin opened the season before 30,000+.) Add in 6 junior colleges feeding FBS/FCS regularly. A lot of guys on SFA and the like could be 3rd- or 4th teamers at UT, A&M, Tech, TCU, Houston, etc., or maybe even higher except for size or speed, but want the chance to play more regularly.

BUT: it’s still 11 on 11 on the field, and while I’m not sure how much we really know based on the Maine game, I have no doubt that Ford/coaches will have us ready to play, and a lot of the players already have been in the same kind of atmosphere (at Ga Southern). I think the keys will be (a) limiting Moses and his receivers to 250 yards or under, (B) finding our own consistency in passing/running with someone – not just Smith, but someone else – have a breakout game, and © hanging in close well into the 3rd quarter, for shock value if nothing else. If we’re 20+ points down in the 3rd, it’s going to be difficult to overtake the Lumberjacks. But with a lot of things falling right – A LOT – they can be had, in a squeaker.

If nothing else, it will be good for our guys to get into that kind of atmosphere (for football, I mean) – the weather will probably be hot and humid, as SFA is in deep East Texas, piney woods and red dirt roads and that sort of thing, where sometimes the air is so thick mosquitoes can walk from one person to the next.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nice preview D4E!

I think you're right on SFA. I'm not quite sure what to think, but I know we've played teams better then them in the past. Remember they got absolutely destroyed at Montana in the playoffs last year (51-0 I think it was).

We need to get the red zone offense in the game and you are right, someone other then Drew Smith has got to step up.

We need to control the clock and keep Moses off the field. That's the only way we'll be in it.

Kudos for getting the game notes up quickly, but the SID needs to edit with more skill:

... UAlbany was involved in the program's lowest scoring game ... the

Great Danes previously lost to Springfield, 6-0, on Oct. 3, 1986 ...

Stephen_f_austin.jpg

The Real Steve Austin. "Father of Texas"

Hey! Native Texan that I am, I can't let the Father of Texas be called "Steve."

Seriously, as a digression, how about this for a "6 degrees of separation" thing . . . my brother down in Texas was the principal for when Steven Austin (real name then: Steve Williams:) was in high school, in Edna, Texas (the Wikipedia entry is wrong). Remembers him as, well, just a standout HS jock in a small town, not troublemaker or anything like that. Then Steve Williams went to play, eventually, at my hometown college (and alma mater for one degree), University of North Texas (then called North Texas State Univ.). Finished his eligibility, quit school, and went off to do . . . something, I don't remember what.

Back to Great Danes football. I think they have a chance, but alot of things have to fall right. I have no hesitancy in pulling for UA in this one!!

Nice preview D4E!

I think you're right on SFA. I'm not quite sure what to think, but I know we've played teams better then them in the past. Remember they got absolutely destroyed at Montana in the playoffs last year (51-0 I think it was).

We need to get the red zone offense in the game and you are right, someone other then Drew Smith has got to step up.

We need to control the clock and keep Moses off the field. That's the only way we'll be in it.

Last year they also scored over 40 against Eastern Washington (playoffs), Sam Houston St. and SE Louisiana, 65 against North Dakota, and 92 (!) against Texas College, so if they get going they have no qualms about running it up.

Also, by looking at the 2-deep, their DTs are 292 and 310 pounds, so running up the middle won't be easy. (310 lbs. at 6-feet even? yikes!)

Also, by looking at the 2-deep, their DTs are 292 and 310 pounds, so running up the middle won't be easy. (310 lbs. at 6-feet even? yikes!)

That's what you end up with with a diet consistently mostly of BBQ and chicken fried steak (breaded veal cutlet, smothered in an inch of thick white gravy, with 1/2 the plate being french fries), followed by pecan pie or peach cobbler (with ice cream) and 4-5 big glasses of sweet iced tea. Ymmmmmm. Only about 2000 calories and 500 grams of fat.

Archived