UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

vs. Cornell

Home and season opener, time to get it on!!!!!!

I honestly don't know what to expect, we are young and untested, they lost a ton from last years team. Tough to figure this game out especially with this being the opener for both.

Picked by coaches to finish 3rd in the Ivy League with one first place vote.

BLUE RIBBON ANALYSIS

BACKCOURT: B

BENCH/DEPTH: C

FRONTCOURT: C

INTANGIBLES: B

No one expects Cornell to replicate last season, especially given the turnover the Big Red has un-dergone. Still, the program has experienced too much success the last three years to fall off significantly. Nonetheless, it will be a rebuilding season. And it could be rough going early as players grow into their new roles and Courtney becomes comfortable as a head coach. It takes outsiders a bit of time to adjust to the peculiarities of the Ivy League, not the least of which are the Friday-Saturday conference games with long bus rides in between.

Don't look for Courtney to change Cornell's style of play too much. The players he inherited were all recruited to fit a specific system. The Big Red will falter if Courtney tries to take the players too far away from what they have done best the last several years, which is to shoot the ball from the perimeter. Of course, it helps to have a strong low-post player to keep the defense honest.

The other Ivy teams have grown weary of getting beat up by the Big Red and will be looking to exact their revenge this season. They'll show no mercy as Cornell goes through its growing pains.

The longevity of those growing pains will depend on how quickly Cornell establishes its rotation. The more Courtney has to tinker with the lineup, the more the Big Red will struggle. If the frontcourt assignments are settled quickly, Cornell might surprise some people.

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The staple of Cornell's game it shooting, I would expect Moore to start and be on Wroblewski their lone returning starter. The thing is, Wroblewski apparently is injured and might not play on Friday. Player recruited to Cornell by the previous regime are shooters, our D will have to be top notch.

Their top four reserves from last years team are also all back, not to mention a UMASS and Kentucky transfers coming on-line this season.

So in the video Coach Brown says the 9 man rotation will be 3 Freshman, 4 Sophmores, 1 Junior and 1 Senior.

3 Freshman - Devlin, Puk, Watts - Surprised 3 Frosh are getting some PT?

4 Sophs - Aronhalt, Black, Metcalf - who is the 4th of Lindfors, Tartt and Iati?

1 Junior - Moore - can Allen be considered a bust?

1 Senior - Ambrose

So in the video Coach Brown says the 9 man rotation will be 3 Freshman, 4 Sophmores, 1 Junior and 1 Senior.

3 Freshman - Devlin, Puk, Watts - Surprised 3 Frosh are getting some PT?

4 Sophs - Aronhalt, Black, Metcalf - who is the 4th of Lindfors, Tartt and Iati?

1 Junior - Moore - can Allen be considered a bust?

1 Senior - Ambrose

Based on positions..I think it must be Lindfors. Devlin, Puk and Metcalf will be playing the 4 and 5..need another front court player to add in there.

Previously I had thought we'd start:

Mike Black

Aronhalt

Moore

Devlin

Metcalf

Since Aronhalt is an OK but not great defender you put Moore on the other team's best perimeter player.

Off the bench:

Watts

Ambrose

Lindfors

Puk

I'd guess you move Aronhalt over to SF to get time for Tim. Playing Watts at the same time with Tim so you have a bigger guard to defend whoever Moore was defending. This theory will probably expire in four days if not before.

Unfortunate if Tartt doesn't make the rotation. I liked him at the start of last year but as someone else said he didn't see to be the same player later in the year, or after the CCSU game. Hopefully still time to turn that around.

I think Allen has been a good program guy if nothing else.

Unfortunate if Tartt doesn't make the rotation. I liked him at the start of last year but as someone else said he didn't see to be the same player later in the year, or after the CCSU game. Hopefully still time to turn that around.

I think Allen has been a good program guy if nothing else.

Some might say this is a bit unfair but...Allen has gotten plenty of chances to prove that he is a shooter. Shooting 26% from three is NOT a shooter. I know people will point to back surgery as the reason why he hasn't shot well and that's all good and well but it still doesn't prove that he deserves time on the court with that shooting percentage.

Good glue guy, spokesman for the program etc. But because of health concerns/back stuff 31% from three (last season) is NOT what this team needs.

As for the rotation, I wouldn't mind going 10 deep and giving Tartt some minutes to see if he can get his confidence up a bit and perhaps launch a shot once in a blue moon.

Reading between the lines, I think on Friday we start...

Black

Moore

Aronhalt

Devlin

Puk (YES PUK)

Bench - Watts, Ambrose, Jake and Metcalf

Bob Weiner from the Gazette is also talking about Puk starting. A little surprised that we might be starting two freshman. Haven't seen that much of Puk but he does seem like a better athlete. I don't know how they are basketball wise but the combo of he and Jake Lindfors are more athletic bigs that I'm used to see in the AE.

I find settling on an early rotation encouraging. I had thought there had been past years when Coach Brown tried to keep too many of his options open and didn't invest heavily in one group of guys. I don't think last year was an example of that.

Looking forward to hoop Friday, football Saturday and more hoop on Monday. That's the way to have a weekend.

Archived