UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

American U

Just an observation....Last year it seemed people were upset that we had some many guys in and out and there was no real set rotation; players couldn't get in their grooves. This year we're told there will be a 9 player rotation and that it should help get the young players situated in their roles (rather than using all 14 people on the roster). The Danes have played 2 games, lost both and we are out our main PG. The sentiments of the forum seem to be that Brown should drop the idea of a set rotation and just do what he did last year and throw anyone in that could get the team going. I'll ask.. if he does that, will it result in the same thing that happened last year (losses)? Will those who are urging him to now put anyone in to jump start the team be annoyed later if he does that and the team still loses? Or should he try something different than last year since that didn't work out to well? I don't know the best thing, but I almost rather him try keeping a set rotation this season since throwing anyone and everyone in last year didn't seem to work. But I just coach from my chairback not the bench so my thoughts are null anyways haha.

msgdg- good point, I thought of that myself. first of all, the Free Tartt is a bit tongue in cheek. But I think you're concern would be more valid if Black hadn't gone down- we're not opposing the 9 man rotation, but wouldn't mind seeing Tartt slide into that 9th spot vacated by Black's injury. Iati is a defensive liability- there's few players he could match up with in the AE let alone against GTech. It'd be nice to see at least a more athletic, higher ceiling guy like Tartt get those 10+ minutes at the end of the bench for now.

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I remember watching Logan's debut game last year and remarking on his nice shooting touch. Now, his shot seems awkward - perhaps a consequence of his foot problems? Either way, it's too inconsistent. Just watch his shot and then compare to someone like Ambrose - it's weird! Did anyone else notice this as well?

Bottom line: Aronhalt needs to figure out which shots he can make consistently and take those - and only those!

I don't recall what Logan's shot looked like before but I know what I am seeing now. He's throwing up knuckle balls. If he would get under the ball a little more it would roll off his hand better and provide a little more (some) back-spin.

I agree with your point on his shot selection. More than anything else I don't think the D1 game has slowed down for him yet. He's still rushing shots when he doesn't have to. If I were on the staff I'd have him watch film of Jason Siggers operating inside CB's offense. Siggers was an inside/outside threat and was run off a bunch of screens like Logan is...but Siggers was always very calm running off those screens. Hopefully at some point soon we'll see Logan start playing as if everything around him has slowed down a bit.

Something in Andrew Santillo's blog just reminded me of a question I had about the American game:

Why did the refs keep calling fouls on UAlbany while the Danes were on offense? I seem to remember at least four or five but I couldn't see what happened from my seat. Illegal screens, maybe? It was always called by the same referee, too! Does anyone know/remember?

I was watching ESPN's inside look at Duke a week a go and coach K was sitting in the film room lecturing his team on poor ball screens that accomplished nothing...I can't help but notice the number of wasted screens inside this offense right now....accomplishing nothing but wasted fouls. In my opinion it's not the guys setting the screens, it's the guys running off them and not using them.

I was watching ESPN's inside look at Duke a week a go and coach K was sitting in the film room lecturing his team on poor ball screens that accomplished nothing...I can't help but notice the number of wasted screens inside this offense right now....accomplishing nothing but wasted fouls. In my opinion it's not the guys setting the screens, it's the guys running off them and not using them.

I don't know whether it is the guy setting the screen of the kids using the screen but what I do see and have seen for a couple years is that even coming off a screen the defensive player is right on our guy. Many times the pass is even contested. On the other end of the court the opponent seems to get much more separation from our players when they come off screens.

Something in Andrew Santillo's blog just reminded me of a question I had about the American game:

Why did the refs keep calling fouls on UAlbany while the Danes were on offense? I seem to remember at least four or five but I couldn't see what happened from my seat. Illegal screens, maybe? It was always called by the same referee, too! Does anyone know/remember?

First of all...welcome to the board. Always great to have a new poster on board. This place is intense in our passion for our Danes, you seem like you'll fit right in.

The refs kept calling elbowing, a few were on Puk the others were on Devlin. It was stupid, I didn't see a single one.

Thanks, clickclack! That makes sense now. And I'm so happy I found this place...none of my friends at UA know (or care about) basketball so I'm glad to find like-minded fans!

Welcome to the purple-and-gold asylum AE-Bunny!

That's a great point. I noticed that a few times as well the other night. I think Clickclack mentioned some guys being tentative taking shots when they found themselves open and this seems like another example of that. They're getting the corner but aren't taking it. Hopefully it will change with more experience.

There are an a lot of those little details that can take away from what you're trying to do. Not to get on Logan but I was thinking about that when two or three times he jumped out into the passing lanes to go for a steal and didn't get one. That gave up a couple of easy baskets. In his defense I'm sure he was just trying to make something happen. They're small mistakes but they were ones American didn't make and we did.

All I have to say is LAZY D! I can deal with rusty O, actually thought there were promising post-Ambrose offense indicators but the lazy, stand around and look at the ball, man, play pass you by D was the most frustrating because it should be something any team, no matter what the talent, can do - HUSTLE!

Archived