UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

NEC preseason press conference

There is not a QB controversy IMHO. They will both play a substantial role with various packages. Fordy needed to send a message that both players will play and not send the "loser" of the competeition into the tank. So this is the way you handle a delicate situation with two kids that really want to play and excel. Or, he is sending a very LOUD message to the incumbent: your not guranteed to be the starter if you do not impriove in camp!!! Danefan our resident QB could add more to this paragraph I am sure.

I am encouraged that Coach thinks all the O line needs to do is gel. I rest a little easier knowing that he believes in them.

I believe being picked 4th (a slap in the face with the success we have had) will be a very good motivator for our players when the games begin. They SHOULD have a chip on their shoulder after last season. If I am a coach I am drilling the lack of respect the NEC has shown them into their heads.

Fordie has historically left the QB decision until last minute, which I believe he does to do as you said Ruler - keep the #2 in the game throughout camp.

I'm not a fan of that philosophy though, having lived through it myself. The QB needs to get his rhthym and the team needs a known leader and needs to get used to a QB's play calling and cadence rhythm. That is also the reason I do not like platooning at all.

IMO, the Spring is the time to determine your starter if there is any question.

http://www.northeastconference.org/News/fball/2011/8/9/FB-albpreview-11.asp?path=fball

NEC Countdown to Kickoff - Inside the Albany Great Danes

8/9/2011

UAlbany Great Danes – (2011 Poll Finish – 4th)

2010 Record: 6-5, 4-4

2010 NEC Finish: t-4th

There have been two constants through Albany’s tenure as a NEC member – Bob Ford and winning.

Albany had not suffered a losing conference record in any of its first 11 seasons as a NEC member. Just when it looked as if that streak was in serious jeopardy last year, redshirt freshmen Dillon Romain (Vernon, NJ/Don Bosco Prep) and Buddy Leathley (Manlius, NY, Fayetteville-Manlius), as well as a number of other youngsters, stepped up. Sitting at 1-4 in league play heading into November, the Great Danes closed the 2010 campaign on a three-game win streak to pull their conference record up to 4-4 and post a winning overall record for the fifth straight season.

As for Ford, the late-season surge ran his career win total to 247, the highest amongst all active NCAA FCS head coaches...

More at the link

Well, the three-game streak was against some of the weaker teams in the league. I don't think picked 4th is as insulting as Bob Ford's interview and questions cut off in the links to the preseason press conference.Soundbite link

FWIW Albany is the highest-rated NEC team in Sagarins' starting ranking

4th is low, but based on our inconsistent OLine play last year its not wholly undeserved. We're very unproven on the line and as Fordie said in the article - if you can't run the ball in the NEC you won't be playing in November.

Archived