UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

vs. #5 Syracuse

Doc

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sure I'd love to have seen more production from our front court so far.. but I have 3 thoughts on that at this point.

First.. as mentioned, we've played 2 Top 10 teams through the first week with long, athletic and talented big men.. probably some future NBAers. Second.. again as mentioned, they're effectively playing injured. Devlin's still recovering from major back surgery and Puk has a bad wheel plus an infection. I'm more surprised Puk's even playing/walking than I am disappointed he hasn't put up a double-double or something.

Lastly.. the players don't play in a vacuum. The entire starting line-up can't average double-figures while getting deep bench production. There simply aren't enough possessions, shots, etc. Do we take 10-15 shots away from Suero/Aronhalt/Black because we want Puk/Metcalf/Devlin to end up with higher totals in the points section of the stat sheet each game? The Big Three are getting shots/points because they're our best offensive weapons. Seems to make sense to me.

Excellent points. I would add that as we get into conference play, when our foes might have a better opportunity to scout us (and play us twice), I would expect teams to "key in" on our scorers in the back-court. I think the best approach is one where we "take what the defense gives us," which means that our front-court may have higher scoring games if the defense is doubling and pressuring our back-court and leading scorers. I'm sure the coaches tell the players (and the players already know) that the open man and the high-percentage shot is the way to go, and if that means Puk or Devlin has a 20-point night, then that's an efficient offense!

Keep the turnovers down, the assists high, and distribute the ball for high-percentage, set shots (unless one of our players is slashing or driving to the hoop for a high-percentage shot and/or free-throw opportunity). :rolleyes:

First.. as mentioned, we've played 2 Top 10 teams through the first week with long, athletic and talented big men.. probably some future NBAers. Second.. again as mentioned, they're effectively playing injured. Devlin's still recovering from major back surgery and Puk has a bad wheel plus an infection. I'm more surprised Puk's even playing/walking than I am disappointed he hasn't put up a double-double or something.

I agree. I saw Puk's leg in Pitt and it looked rough. That kid is in pain and the fact that he's out there running around on the court w/ cellulitis, yikes. Hopefully he rests enough ..although I don't know enough about cellulitis to know how you cure it but I just want him healthy for conference play.

In fact, and I will get stomped for this...I thought he was awful against 'Cuse. Not that it would be unexpected against the zone...but I expected a little less out of control from him, and was slighlty disappointed with his play.

That said, I am sure he will be fine.

Agreed, nice job. How about throwing in some photos?

He added that one photo from Syracuse but was having issues posting the others. I think for future write ups he's going to try to insert more pictures into the road recaps. But I'll let him know more pics are good.

We had some good ones from Pitt but he didn't post the first write up.. the admin of the site did.

Way premature for that...apparently SU did a lengthy internal investigation a while ago and found nothing. Statute of limitation has apparently expired...SU appears to be fairing pretty well in any PR tug of war by getting out in front of it, sending letters out etc.

Just following this on twitter and stories that are being written, seems like a case of piggy backing on the Penn St. outrage to get a payday but we'll have to see what else comes out. Either way, to early to tell yet but if trued...what a disaster.

Archived