UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

Some recruiting targets per the media

I don't see any 2012 recruiting thread ongoing but I wanted to share some names from the Buffalo News All-WNY teams released today:

Jordan Williams

School: Bishop Timon-St. Jude Position: WR

Height: 6-2 Weight: 175 Year: 12

Sure-handed receiver with 49 catches for 988 yards and 10 TDs. Holds school record for most yards receiving in a game with 267 on just five catches. "He pretty much caught everything that was thrown to him, he could go up and get it and he has some of the best hands I've ever seen," said coach Charlie Comerford. Considering Albany and Fordham. Has 92.8 average.

Miles Bartholomew

School: St. Francis Position: OL

Height: 6-5 Weight: 275 Year: 12

Had 117 pancake blocks in two years. Right tackle with a very good first step. Dominates opponents when he gets his hands on them. Disrupted offensive blocking schemes with penetration on the line of scrimmage. Level-headed leader served as team co-captain. Considering Brown and Penn as well as offers from Albany and Maine. Trench Trophy finalist.

Brandon Lathrop

School: Kenmore West Position: OL

Height: 6-6 Weight: 260 Year: 12

His skills at drive blocking helped spring Bulldogs RB Martin Bailey for 1,290 yards for the Class AA North champions. Finished with 48 tackles, including a season-high 11 in the season finale against Jamestown. A three-year starter. Trench Trophy finalist. Considering Albany. Also wrestles.

• 1 month later...

All-Greater Rochester released:

Cory Benedetto, Aquinas Senior/Quarterback

Future plans: Considering Monmouth and State University of New York at Albany, where he would major in business.

Christian Harris, Rush-Henrietta Senior/Defensive Back

Future plans: Considering State University of New York at Albany, Assumption, Wagner and Western Michigan. May major in criminal justice.

Parrish McKnight, Webster Schroeder Senior/Utility

Future plans: Considering State University of New York at Albany and Assumption. Interested in majoring in nutrition or English.

Ryan Owens, Letchworth Senior/Defensive Back

Future plans: Recruited by Wagner, State University of New York at Buffalo, SUNY at Albany and Colgate. Plans to major in criminal justice.

All-Greater Rochester released:

Cory Benedetto, Aquinas Senior/Quarterback

Future plans: Considering Monmouth and State University of New York at Albany, where he would major in business.

Christian Harris, Rush-Henrietta Senior/Defensive Back

Future plans: Considering State University of New York at Albany, Assumption, Wagner and Western Michigan. May major in criminal justice.

Parrish McKnight, Webster Schroeder Senior/Utility

Future plans: Considering State University of New York at Albany and Assumption. Interested in majoring in nutrition or English.

Ryan Owens, Letchworth Senior/Defensive Back

Future plans: Recruited by Wagner, State University of New York at Buffalo, SUNY at Albany and Colgate. Plans to major in criminal justice.

UAlbany beats all the others for studying criminal justice or business . . . for McKnight, the two possible majors mentioned might be worthwhile because as an English major, he will need a real job, maybe as a chef . . .

Agreed on the majors fitting well. UB is offering Owens to walk-on so he'd do better to get a ride in FCS. Not sure what he'd do here anyway since we don't offer criminal justice, unless he wants Sociology or Pre-Law.

Benedetto is nothing but a winner. He's played plenty of big games at Aquinas against one of the toughest schedules in NYS, with excellent athletes around him, and won. It would be something to watch he and Spelman battle for the job eventually.

• 3 weeks later...

Verbal Commit

http://poststar.com/sports/queensbury-s-ketter-heading-to-albany/article_7cb4dc88-464a-11e1-b86b-001871e3ce6c.html

Nic Ketter didn't have far to look when it came to choosing a place to continue his football career.

The Queensbury senior was sold on the University at Albany from the start.

Turned out, the Great Danes wanted the Spartans' versatile standout, as well.

On Friday, Ketter verbally committed to UAlbany. National Letter of Intent signing day for football is Feb. 1.

"Albany was my first choice," Ketter said. "They offered me $13,000 out of $18,000 for tuition, room and board. It's about three-quarters (scholarship), so it's a pretty good deal. It's great knowing you're going to a school where they want you."

And what college football team wouldn't want the physically gifted Ketter, who has great speed for his rangy 6-foot-4, 210-pound frame?

"It's a good move for him; I think he'll do well," Queensbury head coach John Irion said. "They could use him as a tight end or an H-back type. It seems like he would be an offensive position."

At Queensbury, Ketter played running back, tight end, cornerback and kick returner, and finished his senior season with 19 touchdowns. He was named Section II Class A and Post-Star Player of the Year and received all-state Class A third-team offense recognition.

Ketter made his official visit to Albany in early December, but he probably sold himself to Great Danes head coach Bob Ford and his staff at a summer 7-on-7 passing camp at the university.

"When I went to the Air Assault Camp, all the coaches seemed pretty impressed with me, and Coach Ford talked to me," Ketter said. "I've known Coach Ford a long time. I knew how interested they were in me."

"He knows from talking to us (Queensbury coach) how much we respect Bob Ford," Irion said. "He's a high-character coach."

Ketter was also recruited by New Hampshire, Maine and Towson - like Albany, all Football Championship Subdivision teams, formerly known as NCAA Division I-AA.

"I wanted to look at other options, but Albany is where I wanted to be," Ketter said.

Ketter said the Great Danes are bringing him in as a tight end.

"Most likely I'll redshirt as a freshman and put on some weight," he said. "They have four guys at that position. If I can work hard, who knows? They look at who they have as players and try to get their playmakers the ball. I'm going to try to be one of those playmakers down the road."

Read more: http://poststar.com/sports/queensbury-s-ketter-heading-to-albany/article_7cb4dc88-464a-11e1-b86b-001871e3ce6c.html#ixzz1kV5Vm93A

Section II Class A player of the year.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ogWl_XVUGOc&feature=related

Nice...and nice that we were in the convo with Towson, Maine and UNH...our true PEERS!

BTW, we lost a nice kid from Lincoln high school to Rhode Island. Best line I read, "they showed me video of sold out home games..." Really?!?! That's like saying BU sells out hoop games.

Holy Spirit High School's Domenic LaFragola looks forward to the next time he'll see fellow senior and best friend Ethan Gambale on the football field.

For the first time, they will be opponents.

LaFragola, a 6-foot-3, 290-pound offensive lineman, committed to the University at Albany this week. Albany plays in the Northeast Conference along with Monmouth University, where Gambale will play next year.

"Monmouth and Albany are hardcore rivals. I really can't wait to see Ethan at middle linebacker," LaFragola said Tuesday.

The 17-year-old Little Egg Harbor Township resident will receive a partial athletic scholarship to Albany, which competes in the NCAA's Football Championship Series. He also was contacted by University of Delaware, New Hampshire, Maine, Stony Brook and Monmouth.

LaFragola was a second-team Press All-Star and a team captain who helped Holy Spirit to a state Non-Public II championship last fall.

The Spartans' offensive line was one of the team's biggest assets.

"He was our most aggressive and physical lineman that we had and a big part of that unit's success," Holy Spirit athletic director Keith Gorman said.

LaFragola said he was impressed with the Great Danes' program, which has won the NEC title five times in the last decade. Albany was 8-4 last season, 7-1 in conference play.

He is thrilled to play for longtime coach Bob Ford, whom LaFragola called a living legend among the Albany community. Ford has been Albany's only head coach since the program was reinstated in 1970 after a 46-year absence. Under Ford, the Great Danes are 80-52 as an NCAA Division I FCS program.

"For me, the stuff he taught me in several short days of meeting him and the wisdom I got from him is limitless already," LaFragola said.

LaFragola, who also wrestles at Holy Spirit, credited Albany assistant coach Jamie Casullo and others involved in his recruiting process for selling the program to him.

"I really couldn't turn down the package they gave me," he said.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3qLdV1vTnG8

http://www.pressofatlanticcity.com/sports_hs_football/holy-spirit-s-domenic-lafragola-commits-to-play-football-at/article_a067d1f4-4789-11e1-821c-0019bb2963f4.html

Another Spring enrollment.

Webster Schroeder senior Parrish McKnight's days in high school may come to an end soon, if he has his way.

McKnight gave a verbal commitment to play football at the State University at Albany on Tuesday and hopes to enroll at the college this weekend.

The 2011 All-Greater Rochester selection said he expects to hear from Albany's admissions department and coach Bob Ford this week about whether his plan is possible.

"I want to play spring ball and since I was capable of graduating, I decided to just do it," McKnight said.

McKnight may follow the path taken by more college football recruits in the last five years, early admission into school to get acclimated in the classroom and on the field.

National signing day, when recruits can begin to formally accept athletic scholarships or financial aid packages, for football and a handful of other sports is Feb. 1.

Athletes, their families and schools in Section V and around the country will celebrate during the next month.

There were six players from local high schools on Albany's roster last season, including Devon Maio and Clay Harris, AGR players at Rush-Henrietta.

"I've always followed Albany," McKnight said. "When the season was over, I hoped for good news from them, and it happened.

"It's like an extension of what I've learned under (Schroeder) coach (Kali) Watkins the past four years. It wouldn't be hard to get used to the environment."

McKnight, listed at 5-feet-11 and 195 pounds, played quarterback, receiver, running back and defensive back at Schroeder.

When McKnight finished the final of four varsity seasons this past fall, he had passed for 3,522 yards with 33 touchdowns, ran for 2,004 with 18 touchdowns and had 755 receiving yards with 5 touchdowns.

Albany may use him at running back or safety, according to McKnight.

http://www.democratandchronicle.com/article/20120126/SPORTS08/201260322/National-singing-day-Parrish-McKnight-ice-hockey-Pittsford-Pink-the-Rink-Fairport?odyssey=tab%7Ctopnews%7Ctext%7CSports

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K-SCqcGnnSM

Holy Spirit High School's Domenic LaFragola looks forward to the next time he'll see fellow senior and best friend Ethan Gambale on the football field.

For the first time, they will be opponents.

LaFragola, a 6-foot-3, 290-pound offensive lineman, committed to the University at Albany this week. Albany plays in the Northeast Conference along with Monmouth University, where Gambale will play next year.

"Monmouth and Albany are hardcore rivals. I really can't wait to see Ethan at middle linebacker," LaFragola said Tuesday.

The 17-year-old Little Egg Harbor Township resident will receive a partial athletic scholarship to Albany, which competes in the NCAA's Football Championship Series. He also was contacted by University of Delaware, New Hampshire, Maine, Stony Brook and Monmouth.

LaFragola was a second-team Press All-Star and a team captain who helped Holy Spirit to a state Non-Public II championship last fall.

The Spartans' offensive line was one of the team's biggest assets.

"He was our most aggressive and physical lineman that we had and a big part of that unit's success," Holy Spirit athletic director Keith Gorman said.

LaFragola said he was impressed with the Great Danes' program, which has won the NEC title five times in the last decade. Albany was 8-4 last season, 7-1 in conference play.

He is thrilled to play for longtime coach Bob Ford, whom LaFragola called a living legend among the Albany community. Ford has been Albany's only head coach since the program was reinstated in 1970 after a 46-year absence. Under Ford, the Great Danes are 80-52 as an NCAA Division I FCS program.

"For me, the stuff he taught me in several short days of meeting him and the wisdom I got from him is limitless already," LaFragola said.

LaFragola, who also wrestles at Holy Spirit, credited Albany assistant coach Jamie Casullo and others involved in his recruiting process for selling the program to him.

"I really couldn't turn down the package they gave me," he said.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3qLdV1vTnG8

http://www.pressofatlanticcity.com/sports_hs_football/holy-spirit-s-domenic-lafragola-commits-to-play-football-at/article_a067d1f4-4789-11e1-821c-0019bb2963f4.html

Going to defer to Danefan on this one: what is the level of talent in Jersey he is playing against?

I ask b/c the line he plays on looks huge...the guys he is playing against look average sized...no real technique or speed. That said, the kid really powers his legs and finishes his blocks well, and looks solid at shedding the first level of defenders in the running game.

So...I am having a hard time figuring out if he is really "THAT GOOD"...or simply solid. I will say he needs to improve his footwork because he doesnt appear very quick in general, something he will have to face with the top teams of the NEC and most of our solid OOC schedule, but he can run for his size.

Overall...I like what I see out of this kid...but film is film. But it's good to get back to recruiting HOGS. His frame looks like he can easily toss on 15-20 lbs for the guard position yet keep his speed (footwork...another story).

You know...i just watched that film again...and he reminds me a lot of a guy I coached at Albany Academy, Mike DePalma...who went on to star at UNH as their tight end. Similar hobbies as well, which is scary. This kid has some serious potential.

Another Spring enrollment.

Webster Schroeder senior Parrish McKnight's days in high school may come to an end soon, if he has his way.

McKnight gave a verbal commitment to play football at the State University at Albany on Tuesday and hopes to enroll at the college this weekend.

The 2011 All-Greater Rochester selection said he expects to hear from Albany's admissions department and coach Bob Ford this week about whether his plan is possible.

"I want to play spring ball and since I was capable of graduating, I decided to just do it," McKnight said.

McKnight may follow the path taken by more college football recruits in the last five years, early admission into school to get acclimated in the classroom and on the field.

National signing day, when recruits can begin to formally accept athletic scholarships or financial aid packages, for football and a handful of other sports is Feb. 1.

Athletes, their families and schools in Section V and around the country will celebrate during the next month.

There were six players from local high schools on Albany's roster last season, including Devon Maio and Clay Harris, AGR players at Rush-Henrietta.

"I've always followed Albany," McKnight said. "When the season was over, I hoped for good news from them, and it happened.

"It's like an extension of what I've learned under (Schroeder) coach (Kali) Watkins the past four years. It wouldn't be hard to get used to the environment."

McKnight, listed at 5-feet-11 and 195 pounds, played quarterback, receiver, running back and defensive back at Schroeder.

When McKnight finished the final of four varsity seasons this past fall, he had passed for 3,522 yards with 33 touchdowns, ran for 2,004 with 18 touchdowns and had 755 receiving yards with 5 touchdowns.

Albany may use him at running back or safety, according to McKnight.

http://www.democratandchronicle.com/article/20120126/SPORTS08/201260322/National-singing-day-Parrish-McKnight-ice-hockey-Pittsford-Pink-the-Rink-Fairport?odyssey=tab%7Ctopnews%7Ctext%7CSports

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K-SCqcGnnSM

Good lord...this kid is simply a football player. A hair faster...a few inches taller...he is going somewhere else. I don't even know what position he would be good at: very physical corner; safety (in our scheme yes, others...he would have to put on 20-30 lbs to be really solid); or running back.

I didn't like the fact that he ran so upright; he will get killed at this level doing that...but I think it is more of a product of him running out of the gun, the wildcat, and from the receiver spot on running plays.

Either way it will be interesting to see whether we red-shirt him...or he gets time right away. I'd like to see him toss on 10 more pounds. But I like his game (and I like that we can use him in our version of the wildcat/qb if needed like Drew Smith.

I know the program has been option style for years in the past. Looking at these films and the commit of Monroe-Woodbury quarterback Ryan Spelman, I seriously think the offense is heading back to be a major option heavy offense again. Look at the film of all these guys. Run blocking, short yardage play. Not saying it is a bad thing. If Spelman or any of these QB's can play a strong option offense, but have the goods to throw it down field, UA could be a real tricky offense to play against.

Archived