UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

29 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 299
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So we will need a sizeable donation just to cover the buyout if we move in the future - yipes -sarge965

Here in is our problem - if we need a sizable donation for the buyout how do we afford increasing our budget by over $10 mill annually? ( Delaware 30+mill vs UA 14 mill)

So we will need a sizeable donation just to cover the buyout if we move in the future - yipes

There's always the chance the CAA will cover the buyout. They have a surplus of NCAA money from VCU's a final four run ey could use. VCU forfeited that $ when thy left.

I'm not the only person confused by what is going on. There are a lot of questions. What do other universities do with their larger atheletic budgets? Delaware, for example, apparently spends a lot more than UA. What does it spend it on and what does it get in return? If UA spent 50% more what would it do for us? How would we spend it? I have been and continue to be a competitive athelete. I am in a very competitive profession. I like competing against the best. It is the essence of competition. Isn't the competition in the AE comparable to the CAA? If we really want to get better competition don't we have to look much higher?

I'm not the only person confused by what is going on. There are a lot of questions. What do other universities do with their larger atheletic budgets? Delaware, for example, apparently spends a lot more than UA. What does it spend it on and what does it get in return? If UA spent 50% more what would it do for us? How would we spend it? I have been and continue to be a competitive athelete. I am in a very competitive profession. I like competing against the best. It is the essence of competition. Isn't the competition in the AE comparable to the CAA? If we really want to get better competition don't we have to look much higher?

I don't think it's unfair to say that the CAA is better than AEast in every sport. Especially in the ones that really matter to UA - basketball and lacrosse.

Not to mention a national TV deal with NBC Sports and a wider footprint to expand our brand name (no matter how bad it is).

and you don't get higher without stepping stones. The CAA and A10 are the feeder leagues for the Northeast big time conferences.

Look at expansion.

A10/CUSA pull from CAA -->. CAA pulls from SoCon/AEast --> AEast pulls from D2.

danefan, thank you for the comments. I am not in a position to challenge your assertion that the CAA has better competition than the AE. Is it simply a question of dollars spent? I have no data to support this but I think a lot of this is about perception. The AE is perceived to be weak. Because of the perception, better atheletes look to "better" programs. Are the members of the AE conference satisfied with its perception? Is UA satisfied with its perception?

My goal is FBS football. The MAC is the only FBS starter conference in the northeast.

Does the CAA all-sports decline help or hurt us in getting to FBS?

I initially thought it helped to go all-sports because we would have better funded basketball, which is a major sport. We would be in a better conference and thus more appealing.

Maybe declining the CAA for all sports helps us because the CAA was going to be more expensive. Now we can funnel that money into facilities like our stadium.

No one is going to dump more money into an AEast team. Very little ROI.

Let's wait and see what happens.

Your football team is an America East team????

It's kinda like you guys have forgotten that you ARE a member of the CAA Football conference.

How much does Duke have in common with the rest of the ACC, other than location (with the possible exception of Wake Forest)? How much does Villanova have in common with UConn? You go with the hottest girl who will dance with you, and sometimes those hot girls tend to be a little more expensive, but the rest of the fellas usually will notice you more.

Are you REALLY comparing Duke/ACC and UConn/Villanova basketball with Albany/Elon, Albany/Towson, Albany/Drexel, Albany/CAA basketball?????..........

Does anyone know if the current AE bylaws have any financial penalty for schools leaving...$250k one year notice/$1mil immediate departure?

there is no financial penalty as of right now - only prohibition from conference tournaments

Singelaise tweeted me that buyout is 500k for two or more years notice and 1 million with less then two years...check my twitter time line at clickclack1

This must be new since the BU move - interesting that it has flown under the radar where as the CAA buyout which is also 1 milion has been dscussed ad nauseam. Rumor was that BU would have had to come up with only 250K if they wanted to go to the Patriot League this past academic year and owed nothing if they stayed and were served with the post season tournament prohibition. If the buyout amounts are correct then no wonder Lowell is the new addition to the league.

And no wonder Elon is the new addition to the CAA..........

So we will need a sizeable donation just to cover the buyout if we move in the future - yipes -sarge965

Here in is our problem - if we need a sizable donation for the buyout how do we afford increasing our budget by over $10 mill annually? ( Delaware 30+mill vs UA 14 mill)

Adopt Stephen King as a new Dane fan???

So we will need a sizeable donation just to cover the buyout if we move in the future - yipes

There's always the chance the CAA will cover the buyout. They have a surplus of NCAA money from VCU's a final four run ey could use. VCU forfeited that $ when thy left.

How long do you think that CAA "surplus" is going to last???...........

I'm not the only person confused by what is going on. There are a lot of questions. What do other universities do with their larger atheletic budgets? Delaware, for example, apparently spends a lot more than UA. What does it spend it on and what does it get in return?

Lately?.......not much. No men's NCAA toruney bids since they joined the CAA. Thank god for Elena Della Donne!