UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

29 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

What a weird statement by the SoCon on Elon leaving.

The SoCon comish also literally said: "They're your problem now CAA" on the teleconference.

SPARTANBURG, S.C. – Southern Conference Commissioner John Iamarino released the following statement regarding Elon University:

“In recent years, it became increasingly evident that Elon’s negative view of the diversity in the Southern Conference was not shared by the majority of the membership. Our core group remains firmly committed to each other and to the academic and athletic success of the Southern Conference. We are preparing specific initiatives to achieve that success.”

Wow...LOL...maybe I'm reading that wrong but...ummm...are they to "Christian"?

Edited by Clickclack

• Replies 299
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Does anyone know if the current AE bylaws have any financial penalty for schools leaving...$250k one year notice/$1mil immediate departure?

there is no financial penalty as of right now - only prohibition from conference tournaments

Actually Sarge, I am hearing from MULTIPLE people I trust...and some within the AE front-office...there is indeed a buyout...and it is REALLY BIG. If we intended to go in 2013-14.

Edited by Dane96

Does anyone know if the current AE bylaws have any financial penalty for schools leaving...$250k one year notice/$1mil immediate departure?

there is no financial penalty as of right now - only prohibition from conference tournaments

Singelaise tweeted me that buyout is 500k for two or more years notice and 1 million with less then two years...check my twitter time line at clickclack1

Edited by Clickclack

Now this explains a TON!!!

I would gather that maybe, just maybe, the CAA teams are deciding whether or not to chip in on this bill; they are flush with cash from ODU, GMU and VCU leaving NCAA $$ on table.

Most of us didn't know the details of the AE exit fee, but the university and the athletic department has known.

And regardless, it appears that they've been discussing/talking the possibility of changing... so maybe you're on to something 96.

Edited by uofalbany

My goal is FBS football. The MAC is the only FBS starter conference in the northeast.

Does the CAA all-sports decline help or hurt us in getting to FBS?

I initially thought it helped to go all-sports because we would have better funded basketball, which is a major sport. We would be in a better conference and thus more appealing.

Maybe declining the CAA for all sports helps us because the CAA was going to be more expensive. Now we can funnel that money into facilities like our stadium.

My goal is FBS football. The MAC is the only FBS starter conference in the northeast.

Does the CAA all-sports decline help or hurt us in getting to FBS?

I initially thought it helped to go all-sports because we would have better funded basketball, which is a major sport. We would be in a better conference and thus more appealing.

Maybe declining the CAA for all sports helps us because the CAA was going to be more expensive. Now we can funnel that money into facilities like our stadium.

No one is going to dump more money into an AEast team. Very little ROI.

Let's wait and see what happens.

Honestly, Elon is one reason why I don't want to move to the CAA. We have zero in common with that school.

I feel the same way. And about several of the schools in the CAA.

Question: Did we receive a formal invitation to join the the CAA, or is this just blog talk?

Honestly, Elon is one reason why I don't want to move to the CAA. We have zero in common with that school.

I feel the same way. And about several of the schools in the CAA.

Question: Did we receive a formal invitation to join the the CAA, or is this just blog talk?

The way these things have worked is that you only get a formal invite if you agree to accept.

How much does Duke have in common with the rest of the ACC, other than location (with the possible exception of Wake Forest)? How much does Villanova have in common with UConn? You go with the hottest girl who will dance with you, and sometimes those hot girls tend to be a little more expensive, but the rest of the fellas usually will notice you more.

That last part was a recruiting metaphor in case you were a little confused.

I'm not suggesting dumping money in AE teams.

I'm suggesting putting money that would have been paid in exit fees or to compete in the CAA all-sports into our stadium so our CAA football team can jump to the MAC when a spot is available. We're talking about no longer spending millions more to upgrade all sports. Put that into facilities.

Singelaise tweeted me that buyout is 500k for two or more years notice and 1 million with less then two years...check my twitter time line at clickclack1

This must be new since the BU move - interesting that it has flown under the radar where as the CAA buyout which is also 1 milion has been dscussed ad nauseam. Rumor was that BU would have had to come up with only 250K if they wanted to go to the Patriot League this past academic year and owed nothing if they stayed and were served with the post season tournament prohibition. If the buyout amounts are correct then no wonder Lowell is the new addition to the league.