UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

29 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 299
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We belong in the MAC. Focus on building out the stadium and beating up the AE. Hopefully when they look for an addition, we'll look strong.

Agreed. And in basketball focus on building a program of consistency like UVM has for the past decade. Then we will be ready for a league like the MAC in all sports or, who knows, a yet-to-be-formed league that suits us even better.

We belong in the MAC. Focus on building out the stadium and beating up the AE. Hopefully when they look for an addition, we'll look strong.

We don't have the funds to go caa where would we get money to move fbs? I can't see that happening for a longggg time. It'd be awesome to be able to. I don't know why, but I just feel like we took a step back just now. I probably would have been better off just not knowing about the whole caa.

As long as we are talking about pretty reliable sources, the last couple of days have showed just how reliable a lot of those are. My reliable source says BU did not pay one plug nickel to leave the AE. Maybe not reliable but I am pretty sure that it is true. Also, as far as leaving the CAA for football for the ALL NEW AMEAST FOOTBALL Conference, generally associate members do not pay an exit fee. We did not pay to leave the NEC and in fact I believe we were on one year contracts with them for the most part. I do not really know what our contract with the CAA specifies, but for an all sports northeast conference we WILL pay to get out if we have to.

I have said all along, we need a northeast ALL sports quality institution conference. No need to reiterate what the schools are, we have all speculated/hoped. Leave the South to the CAA or whoever; spend whatever (if anything) we saved [by not jumping the AmEast] on facilities; continue to dominate in a righteous way; and work for the above.

Dream FBS (or future FCS Tier 1) America East Football Conference:

North Division:

Maine

UNH

UAlbany

UMASS

Buffalo

Army

South Division:

Stony Brook

Rhode Island

UCONN

Delaware

*need two more state schools or suitable programs from the A-10, former Big East, or CAA. CCSU and Towson State if we had to.

Thoughts?

Edited by UA_MA_2000

North Division:

Maine

UNH

UAlbany

UMASS

Buffalo

Army

South Division:

Stony Brook

Rhode Island

UCONN

Delaware

*need two more state schools or suitable programs from the A-10, former Big East, or CAA. CCSU and Towson State if we had to.

Thoughts?

Never will happen. Why would UMASS, Buffalo, UConn and Army ever want any part of that. Never in a million years.

North Division:

Maine

UNH

UAlbany

UMASS

Buffalo

Army

South Division:

Stony Brook

Rhode Island

UCONN

Delaware

Thoughts?

Never will happen. Why would UMASS, Buffalo, UConn and Army ever want any part of that. Never in a million years.

If they were losing money at the FBS level or if the FBS becomes only the BCS conferences as we have read about on the blogs. For this to happen the FCS schools would have to up their commitment to football, and UCONN/UMASS/Army would realize and accept they are not Big Ten or ACC schools and can't make the jump to BCS FBS.

Edited by UA_MA_2000

North Division:

Maine

UNH

UAlbany

UMASS

Buffalo

Army

South Division:

Stony Brook

Rhode Island

UCONN

Delaware

Thoughts?

If they were losing money at the FBS level or if the FBS becomes only the BCS conferences as we have read about on the blogs. For this to happen the FCS schools would have to up their commitment to football, and UCONN/UMASS/Army would realize and accept they are not Big Ten or ACC schools and can't make the jump to BCS FBS.

I just can't see that happening. Has a current BCS school moved back down to FCS yet in the modern era? All I'm hearing is schools doing whatever they can to move up to BCS.

This last probably has to do with speculation that Division I splits into three levels - the Power Six BCS-type conferences, the lower FBS merging with the top, fully funded FCS, and then the partly-funded (NEC, Pioneer) and non-championship-participating leagues (Ivy, SWAC).

Also a very long shot.

We'll see what happens. UA will be making a larger commitment to football as part of our move to the CAA.

According to the USA Today, there were plenty of FCS universities funding above existing FBS universities. Most of the MAC was in the low $20Ms. Albany was at nearly $15M. SBU was actually ALREADY spending more money than MAC members Toledo, Ball State, Kent State and Bowling Green.

With our move to CAA football our expenditures would have to rise to the upper teens... once again, not far off the MAC

2012 NEC Albany - $15M

2012 MAC Ball State - $21M

That spread will be even smaller when 2013 is calculated.

One more round of stadium expansion and we've not that different from existing MAC schools like Ball State and Kent State, geographically, financially or institutionally.

Edited by SoCal_Dane

The stadium alone will help to close the revenue gap. It's not a cure all but it will help.

1) More seats equals more revenue

2) Better seats equals higher ticket prices and more revenue

3) More merchandising revenue via the stadium store

4) Naming rights potential revenue

5) Leasing revenue via concerts, events

6) Revenue potential if UA could lure a minor league team (soccer, lax, etc)

7) Box seat revenue

Add in revenue from guarantee games now that we're a counter or will be a counter

I don't think the gap between UA and Ball State will remain $6M

If you build it they will come should be our motto, if UB in a sub 500 year can draw 18k (2011) then Albany if we build our stadium (all phases) we should be able to meet that.

As for basketball we should have a few games each year at the TU center. It would give us a recruiting edge over all other AE institutions.