UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

29 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I'm not the only person confused by what is going on. There are a lot of questions. What do other universities do with their larger atheletic budgets? Delaware, for example, apparently spends a lot more than UA. What does it spend it on and what does it get in return? If UA spent 50% more what would it do for us? How would we spend it? I have been and continue to be a competitive athelete. I am in a very competitive profession. I like competing against the best. It is the essence of competition. Isn't the competition in the AE comparable to the CAA? If we really want to get better competition don't we have to look much higher?

I don't think it's unfair to say that the CAA is better than AEast in every sport. Especially in the ones that really matter to UA - basketball and lacrosse.

Not to mention a national TV deal with NBC Sports and a wider footprint to expand our brand name (no matter how bad it is).

and you don't get higher without stepping stones. The CAA and A10 are the feeder leagues for the Northeast big time conferences.

Look at expansion.

A10/CUSA pull from CAA -->. CAA pulls from SoCon/AEast --> AEast pulls from D2.

What are those Northeast "big time" conferences????

• Replies 299
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So we will need a sizeable donation just to cover the buyout if we move in the future - yipes -sarge965

Here in is our problem - if we need a sizable donation for the buyout how do we afford increasing our budget by over $10 mill annually? ( Delaware 30+mill vs UA 14 mill)

To be clear...no one said we needed help with the buyout...that's pure conjecture by this board.

I'm not the only person confused by what is going on. There are a lot of questions. What do other universities do with their larger atheletic budgets? Delaware, for example, apparently spends a lot more than UA. What does it spend it on and what does it get in return? If UA spent 50% more what would it do for us? How would we spend it? I have been and continue to be a competitive athelete. I am in a very competitive profession. I like competing against the best. It is the essence of competition. Isn't the competition in the AE comparable to the CAA? If we really want to get better competition don't we have to look much higher?

jeff, are you gonna deny this to be true?

I don't think it's unfair to say that the CAA is better than AEast in every sport. Especially in the ones that really matter to UA - basketball and lacrosse.

Not to mention a national TV deal with NBC Sports and a wider footprint to expand our brand name (no matter how bad it is).

and you don't get higher without stepping stones. The CAA and A10 are the feeder leagues for the Northeast big time conferences.

Look at expansion.

For a school like us, CUSA, MAC, AAC would be the ultimate top level. Maybe not Northeast, but you know what I mean Jeff.

jeff, are you gonna deny this to be true?

And it's more due to geography than anything else. I truly believe that. When you are located in the Mid-Atlantic/South like the CAA......you have many more options available. And in addition, Southern schools place much more emphasis on sports than Northern schools do. Can you argue with either of those facts?

And finally........

Albany/Stony Brook/Binghamton/UMass-Lowell > Elon/C of C/Georgia State/Drexel/Hofstra

The only desirables that left AE that I'd still want back are Delaware, Towson and Northeastern.

Look at expansion.

For a school like us, CUSA, MAC, AAC would be the ultimate top level. Maybe not Northeast, but you know what I mean Jeff.

Those conferences are not in the Northeast, so no......I didn't know what you meant. Do you know what Conference USA looks like right now? The MAC is DOA. The ACC?........UConn can't even get in so I doubt that Albany is on their wish list anytime soon!

Here's what I see developing for the CAA........if Albany doesn't throw them a life vest..........the remaining SoCon teams will be BEGGING to get in. I just don't see how the CAA's march South doesn't continue. And by the way, JMU will be gone by July 1st.

If it weren't for the money, UA would be gone ASAP...all this we are happy in the AE stuff is nonsense...

Yeah.......America East has been such a miserable place for Albany. The long travel.......the lack of success. And then there is football........too bad that you were never able to join the CAA.........oh yeah, that's right.........you already are a member! You know who you guys sound like right now?........JMU fans........except they actually have a reason to p*ss and moan. They've got an FBS ready stadium just collecting dust and all of their natural rivals have left the league.

Do yourself a favor and look at a map of the CAA and the make-up of remaining schools..........after JMU, Delaware, and W&M.........pickings are pretty slim.

I hope this was a wake up call to the AE to become more proactive. Bring in NJIT (10 is better than nine), sponser Football bring in (CCSU and Bryant), solidify this conference at 12 (NE and Mid-Atlantic Schools) and grow.

UA should follow the example in Davidson, beat up on the AE, continue to have our name be relivent and grow our product. Trust me Siena to the A-10 would be a disaster for them (see DU, LU, FU).

I hope this was a wake up call to the AE to become more proactive. Bring in NJIT (10 is better than nine), sponser Football bring in (CCSU and Bryant), solidify this conference at 12 (NE and Mid-Atlantic Schools) and grow.

UA should follow the example in Davidson, beat up on the AE, continue to have our name be relivent and grow our product. Trust me Siena to the A-10 would be a disaster for them (see DU, LU, FU).

Agreed on everything. I think that if JMU leaves the CAA......that will be the impetus for America East to move on football. W&M is gonzo to the Patriot if/when JMU leaves IMO.

If it weren't for the money, UA would be gone ASAP...all this we are happy in the AE stuff is nonsense...

Yeah.......America East has been such a miserable place for Albany. The long travel.......the lack of success. And then there is football........too bad that you were never able to join the CAA.........oh yeah, that's right.........you already are a member! You know who you guys sound like right now?........JMU fans........except they actually have a reason to p*ss and moan. They've got an FBS ready stadium just collecting dust and all of their natural rivals have left the league.

Do yourself a favor and look at a map of the CAA and the make-up of remaining schools..........after JMU, Delaware, and W&M.........pickings are pretty slim.

I'd appreciate it if you didn't put words in my mouth...by your own admission this whole CAA/AE thing is very personal with you...that's pretty messed up...

Yet another reason I really hope we are considering this:

http://colonialacademicalliance.org/?DB_OEM_ID=8500

About the Alliance

The Colonial Academic Alliance develops, promotes and facilitates collaborative programs and resource sharing to enhance academic quality and institutional effectiveness throughout our member institutions.

Activities in each of our strategic areas are developed by interest groups led by our provosts, composed of institutional representatives, and coordinated through the Alliance office.

In each area, we concentrate on:

• Providing new and expanded opportunities for students
  • Sustained information sharing and benchmarking
  • Faculty and staff development
  • Sharing unique programs and facilities among the 12 CAA institutions

The Colonial Academic Alliance was founded in 2002 by the provosts of the institutions of the Colonial Athletic Association. Our membership includes: The University of Delaware, Drexel University, George Mason University, Georgia State University, Hofstra University, James Madison University, University of North Carolina Wilmington, Northeastern University, Old Dominion University, Towson University, and The College of William and Mary.