UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think it perpetuates the "Albany (NY) footnote that we always get in the press. IMO, I think it should just be a simple and clean "ALBANY", No U, no emphasis on NY.

Like Rutgers. They don't jazz it up with New Jersey, or a U....and people know who they are.

Two counterpoints

1. We needed the (NY) to differentiate ourselves from Albany State in Georgia (DII team). I'm not sure it matters anymore so it doesn't bother me whether people use the NY or not.

2. We have nowhere near the history nor the academic reputation that Rutgers has. We need to latch onto something other than "Albany"

Funny to see them embracing "SUNY". The exact opposite of the 90's.

I agree though. A national program (whether or not we or they are one) SHOULD embrace "New York" not midsized or smaller cities like Buffalo, Albany or Binghamton.

I am surprised too. Buffalo doesn't need to rally around SUNY or New York IMHO. It is a great university and was a fine college pre-SUNY days as well.

Although I cheer the most for UA, I have a degree from both UA and Buffalo, and I still think Buffalo sets the bar in the SUNY system academically and in athletics. Until we have AAU membership and are in a FBS conference, anyone will have a hard time convincing me otherwise.

Edit: Why don't we play Buffalo in any sports? I wish we would.

Edited by UA_MA_2000

Funny to see them embracing "SUNY". The exact opposite of the 90's.

I agree though. A national program (whether or not we or they are one) SHOULD embrace "New York" not midsized or smaller cities like Buffalo, Albany or Binghamton.

I am surprised too. Buffalo doesn't need to rally around SUNY or New York IMHO. It is a great university and was a fine college pre-SUNY days as well.

Although I cheer the most for UA, I have a degree from both UA and Buffalo, and I still think Buffalo sets the bar in the SUNY system academically and in athletics. Until we have AAU membership and are in a FBS conference, anyone will have a hard time convincing me otherwise.

Edit: Why don't we play Buffalo in any sports? I wish we would.

I don't have the same animosity that some have towards Buffalo. I wish we played them. When it comes down to it though, I rooted for SBU to beat UB.

I really don't have any problem with what we've done with UAlbany. Doing what we've been doing, winning and growing, is what's important to me. The UAlbany has been along for the ride, so I'm fine leaving it as is..... I'm fairly certain the women's basketball team will win a NCAA tournament game soon. I'd go out on a limb as say the same for men's lacrosse. I don't think it will take long for football to make some noise as well. What we need is for the men's basketball team, our other main sport, to start winning some NCAA tournament games. If all of this happens, we don't need to worry about a logo. I do say STICK with the purple and gold in our uniforms across all programs at UA... I can't stand seeing white uniforms.

I think it perpetuates the "Albany (NY) footnote that we always get in the press. IMO, I think it should just be a simple and clean "ALBANY", No U, no emphasis on NY.

Like Rutgers. They don't jazz it up with New Jersey, or a U....and people know who they are.

Two counterpoints

1. We needed the (NY) to differentiate ourselves from Albany State in Georgia (DII team). I'm not sure it matters anymore so it doesn't bother me whether people use the NY or not.

2. We have nowhere near the history nor the academic reputation that Rutgers has. We need to latch onto something other than "Albany"

1- We need to grow beyond the (NY) footnote. Properly marketing the ALBANY name (and winning!) will naturally get us there.

2- Again, marketing it properly and winning will establish history and name recognition. Rutgers is just one example.

True, but I can understand why they don't jazz it up with New Jersey, New Jersey is not New York! IJS!!

Bored at work this morning.

b_094738.jpg

We are gonna need that in a higher res then that...otherwise looks solid.

Agreed. I don't have any graphic design software on my work computer. Made that in Publisher.......

Ilko...if bored, polish this up...

Font: Palatino Linotype

Colors: Yellow PANTONE 124; Purple PANTONE 269

You can find the NYS silhouette logo a million places online.

If you want, I can send you the PSD file. I'm no pro with photoshop, but this was done in CS6. Now that I've shared it here and not looking at it from within PS, I see there is some 'white space' near the outline of the state, etc. Maybe you can do a better job of cleaning that up.

JPG Version:

qmqi.jpg

59qx.jpg

PNG Version:

4zwo.png

g9uy.png

Edited by Ilko

Eh, its not exciting or interesting. I like the concept but not with the wording. It looks like something that's a logo for a health care provider or a state pension fun. Nothing pops, and its only exciting to us who feel that Albany should be representing the state. It doesn't catch the eye of non-believers.

I made the logo that used to be used by "The Purple Nation" blog (for any of you that remember it) with a more modern/hip font...when I get home I'll see what I can do that isn't a direct copy of Danefan's work.I'm thinking something like:

Great Dane Nation

Your source for UAlbany Sports

Or something....along with our logo.

Edited by Ilko