UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

http://www.ualbanysports.com/ViewArticle.dbml?SPSID=70366&SPID=8009&DB_LANG=C&ATCLID=209372013&DB_OEM_ID=15800

ALBANY, N.Y. – Newly appointed University at Albany head football coach Greg Gattuso has announced the addition of Bob Benson, Joe Bernard, Bernard Clark, and Jim Sweeney to his staff for the 2014 season.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wait, we hired a D-Coordinator to be O-Coordinator? HUH? Is that a typo about his experience? If not, he'll likely be more inept on offense than McCarthy was...GREAT. So much for someone who knows how to call plays to throw the ball into the slot/over the middle.

(Bernard)

I'm happy with the other 3 hire's...looks great on paper.

Edited by Ilko

Wait, we hired a D-Coordinator to be O-Coordinator? HUH? Is that a typo about his experience? If not, he'll likely be more inept on offense than McCarthy was...GREAT. So much for someone who knows how to call plays to throw the ball into the slot/over the middle.

(Bernard)

I'm happy with the other 3 hire's...looks great on paper.

I disagree. I think you'll see a simplification of the offense which i think will help. Our red zone troubles this year were in large part due to trying to do too much.

Maybe this will put some toughness back in our offense.

I guess I stand corrected...I've just personally never heard of a coach switching 'sides'...usually if you start on offense, that's what your career is focused on.

Well, I wish him the best of luck. All I want is some throws over the middle or quick slants. PLEASE.

Who cares what side of the ball they started coaching on? It is all scheme and relating with the players . Benson won at Georgetown which is an impossible feat. Benard was a successful HC at Fairfield and now has FBS experience.

The way to win at this level and I have said it for years. Huge offensive line and a big back!!!! See Towson from 2013. Massive O Line killer mutant RB (West). They rode him all the way to the National Championship game. Teams would stack 8 in the box and he would still make yardage. Priore down at SBU built his offense this way as did UMASS when they were FCS

Does any of this sound familiar? Big OL and big back (Gary Jones, David McCarty) That's how we won the NEC all those years. When you get fancy and away from the 3 yards and a cloud of dust principle it comes apart!

We will see a big influx of massive OL recruits and FBS transfers. We have some OK size now but they will need to get bigger over the next two seasons. This kid Senn will start this year despite all the new faces coming in.

Edited by Ruler

Winning with a big OL and back is nice but...

Well, I for one HATE ground and pound football (I'm a Jets fan), unless it equates to a nice 20+ yard run to get me out of my seat every now and then (due to wearing down the defense). If it's 3-4 yards all game long, no thanks. We can be a dominant run team, but I want an OC (and a QB) who will be able to call some shots down field. In other words, utilize the play makers. This is why I don't think a DC can make a great OC...he'll likely be TOO simple and too cautious unlike the Chip Kelly's of the world who have exciting offenses, think outside the box, etc. It is easy for a good DC to game plan for a simple and predictable offense, in my opinion. This is why we lost to Duquesne this year...they had like 2 weeks to prepare for us and took advantage of it. Their rookie QB shredded us...and that was our defense which wasn't as predictable. Imagine game planning for a predictable offensive unit?

That's like taking Rex Ryan the mastermind DC and making him an OC. It's not going to work good even if the offense will be super simple for Geno Smith to handle. There is a reason why when he had more say in the offense last year, it sucked (HC or not). He gave 100% of the control to Morninwheg this year and look what happened...at least a presentable offense most of the time, even though it was devoid of anyone good.

We can agree to disagree...but that's just my $0.02.

I've wondered if (esp. in an off week) the DC would scout our own offense, see if there were any trends or weaknesses that he would attack if he were defending against us. And the reverse - how much cooperation is there between units?

I've wondered this as well.

Edited by Ilko

I've wondered if (esp. in an off week) the DC would scout our own offense, see if there were any trends or weaknesses that he would attack if he were defending against us. And the reverse - how much cooperation is there between units?

Probably not that much because each unit is focusing on the other team. There are scout teams of course, but usually made up of inexperienced freshman coached by the GA's.

The big OL and big backs wear down a Defense and sets them up for the quick strike (WR TE or RB out of backfield). I probably wasn't clear but I meant to say grind it out and hit the quick play action as Ford & Co did all during the NEC era. Ford was never known as "Air Ford"

It is not always exciting but it wins games. How exciting was it when Terrance West from Towson hit the hole and exploded through it. Pretty damn exciting as he chewed up most D's in the CAA.

Big OL & big RB's wear out Defenses especially in college where there is a big drop off between starting DL and their backup.

Just my 2 cents

Probably not that much because each unit is focusing on the other team. There are scout teams of course, but usually made up of inexperienced freshman coached by the GA's.

That's what I figured, but if us bozos in the stands think our offense is too predictable, what would convince the coaching staff? Give them a defensive team's scouting report on us.

That's what I figured, but if us bozos in the stands think our offense is too predictable, what would convince the coaching staff? Give them a defensive team's scouting report on us.

Hopefully going 1-11.