UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I like all of these though I am surprised the most with McCarthy. He was in the running for a few other jobs, including the head job at Castleton State. I think he will do well in this role. I am not surprised Mike Simpson is not coming back. I have a feeling that he was latched to Coach Ford.

Director of Ops, as Danefan pointed out previously, is a no brainer.

Greg Gattuso, Head Coach

Bob Benson, Defensive Coordinator/DB

Joe Bernard, Offensive Coordinator/RB

Bernard Clark, Assistant Head Coach/LB

Jim Sweeney, OL

Ryan McCarthy, QB/Pass Game

Aaron Smith, WR/Recruiting Coordinator

Matt Scott, OLB/Special Teams Coordinator

Jeff Dittman, Director of Football Operations

Eleven coaches are allowed, leaves room for a Defensive Line coach, and one other - kicking? or does the department's strength coach (Tullock) count if he's used by the football team?

Greg Gattuso, Head Coach

Bob Benson, Defensive Coordinator/DB

Joe Bernard, Offensive Coordinator/RB

Bernard Clark, Assistant Head Coach/LB

Jim Sweeney, OL

Ryan McCarthy, QB/Pass Game

Aaron Smith, WR/Recruiting Coordinator

Matt Scott, OLB/Special Teams Coordinator

Jeff Dittman, Director of Football Operations

Eleven coaches are allowed, leaves room for a Defensive Line coach, and one other - kicking? or does the department's strength coach (Tullock) count if he's used by the football team?

Football has it's own strength coach.

And wouldn't special teams coordinator oversee the kickers?

That being said, not a fan of McCarthy being retained as QB/Passing Game coach...looks like we won't be throwing over the middle AGAIN next year. Everything will be a screen pass (also rare) or an out route. Obviously the OC/HC would over ride him on calls, but if can't teach the kid(s) to throw those types of passes, those plays won't be successful.

Edited by Ilko

And wouldn't special teams coordinator oversee the kickers?

That being said, not a fan of McCarthy being retained as QB/Passing Game coach...looks like we won't be throwing over the middle AGAIN next year. Everything will be a screen pass (also rare) or an out route. Obviously the OC/HC would over ride him on calls, but if can't teach the kid(s) to throw those types of passes, those plays won't be successful.

To reiterate what Ilko said...not happy with the continued presence of McCarthy and his input on the throwing game. Guy proved last year to be a horrific offensive mind, why was he retained?

Guys, just because last year was bad offensively doesn't mean that he is a bad coach. People forget about the stuff in the quote below. He is going to be QB coach and not running the offense or doing any in game play calling. And he has been here for 13 years, commitment. Maybe the players really like him and Gattuso thinks it will help with player relations to have him around them. So many reasons why they would keep him.

The offensive coordinator from 2008-13, McCarthy’s mentees have rewritten the Great Danes’ record book, including quarterbacks Vinny Esposito (5,692) andWill Fiacchi (4,514) who rank second and third, respectively, for career passing yards. In addition, Dan DiLella (2,804) broke the single-season passing yards record in 2011 en route to one of six NEC championship titles that were won since McCarthy joined the staff.
Edited by DanesRGood

The guy is one of the best coaches you will ever meet. They played this year with average NEC talent. It sucks when kids can't execute what you are asking an coaching them to do at a high level. It's extremely frustrating. Your scheme is your scheme. The meat and potatoes of this offense has been the same or years with much success.

The guy is one of the best coaches you will ever meet. They played this year with average NEC talent. It sucks when kids can't execute what you are asking an coaching them to do at a high level. It's extremely frustrating. Your scheme is your scheme. The meat and potatoes of this offense has been the same or years with much success.

I hope you are right...

Thank you for posting this because it's important. While McCarthy has frustrated me--before this season--this was a WHOLE new level for everyone on the staff. I think he failed in some ways but he's a good coach. He can use this opportunity to continue to learn. The players like him and I'm sure this played a huge part in him staying.

He's also going to be able to concentrate on the QB's and this is something he is pretty good at doing. Whomever our QB is this season, it's gonna be another learning curve. I honestly believe the position is up for grabs and Fiacchi has to listen to McCarthy and grow. I think McCarthy will enjoy working with the group.

My only surprise was that he didn't move on to take another Asst. job or HC (Castleton) on his own accord. Says a ton about his own personality as he was likely very disappointed with not getting the job and not keeping his current job. I respect him a way bit more now.