UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

New Athletic Director: What do you look for?

Dane96

I wasn't aware Dr Jones and Dr McElroy's relationship was so strained.

The article makes it sound like McElroy was striving for greatness and Dr Jones was a break... at least that's what I took away from the article whether it's true or not.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Of course this Is only Iorizzo's take on it. He's usually on Wyland's radio show on Monday around 10:20 -10:40, maybe he'll have something to add.

Still, it's hard to have a coherent plan with seven presidents (most temporary/ interim) in fourteen years.

I find it interesting that McElroy is clearly trying to paint the picture of Jones having lack of vision on athletics.

Pot meet kettle.

How many years did we ask for a plan. How many years did we get nothing. Having to search through hundreds of pages of budget documents for any bit of info. McElroy could have easily stood up like other SUNY ADs and said "This is what I want our athletic department to look like and I'm going to work within the university and outside it to get that done."

Did anyone ever hear that?

Edited by danefan

I wasn't aware Dr Jones and Dr McElroy's relationship was so strained.

The article makes it sound like McElroy was striving for greatness and Dr Jones was a break... at least that's what I took away from the article whether it's true or not.

There has always been rumors or some sort of stain, To be clear I don't think it was personal or even nasty (semi-informed speculation) but it stands to reason that people like Pres. Jones usually bring in their own people to fill out their team. To danefans point...the communication and ability to market this great program was at an absolute ZERO! That's on McElroy.

I wish Dr. McElroy nothing but the best as he moves on...hopefully Pres. Jones hires a guy who can move this program to the next level.The school at the very highest level needs to decide what they want out of this department and then hires the person to execute that vision. I'm not sure there has always been a clear directive from up top...

Edited by Clickclack

On the radio, Iorizzo didn't have much to add to his column. As for a replacement, he sounded like he knows about as much as we do, speculating on someone from the Midwest.

While he mentioned that Albany's football budget was the smallest in the CAA, without the numbers we can't tell how much of the difference is because we're still ramping up to the full number of scholarships.

As to his contract about to expire, it reminded me of the way Will Brown was kept hanging, except that this time there don't seem to have been any negotiations going on.

Our numbers are smaller in comparison but is this a true comparison?

We just finished the stadium. That will increase ticket revenue, event revenue etc. This is not included.

As stated full scholarships are not included in our numbers yet.

It just feels like its premature to judge our revenue. It's like saying the new restaurant on its first day open hasn't had the sales of a restaurant that's been opened for 20 years. Let's look at next quarter or next years sales and then judge.

• 1 month later...

Wonder if there will be news on this front soon. Part of me is surprised there's really been nothing in the media..candidates, search status, etc..but the other part of me has gotten used to the lack of real reporting/coverage.

I thought I remember word that the university wanted a new AD in place around the beginning of the semester. Approaching soon.

Edited by Phoenix

"...there's really been nothing in the media..candidates, search status, etc...." a "status story" is newsworthy, too -- , a story saying "there is no news on the search right now" or "UA officials are not releasing any information right now" . . . or "UA officials expect to be able to release new information in a few days/weeks" . . . my guess is that the TU has not asked . . . waiting for UA to take the initiative and offer something to say via press conference or handout or arranged interview . . .