UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

It's like when LSU played Sam Houston State. Or Michigan State vs Jacksonville State (who?). Or Oregon vs South Dakota. Really? That's like pitting UAlbany against the Seahawks. Why? IMO all you do is risk your kids getting injured by getting smoked by a safety or linebacker who is 10x bigger, 10x faster, and hits 10x harder.

But it's NOT like that. This isn't 15-year-old high school JV players against the Packers, it's players the same age with the same amount of experience and time in the weight room. Usually the difference is a small amount of size OR speed, not both. That difference can translate to a lot of points but not necessarily a lot of injuries.

Injuries happen at all levels of football. I heard these same concerns when Albany began playing CAA teams, but when I was at Delaware in 2006 it was the Blue Hens who kept getting helped off the field. I don't remember ambulances working overtime as Albany stepped up the competition.

I don't know if a study has ever been done to settle this question. Maybe there are fewer injuries at the top venues because the field conditions are better.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's like when LSU played Sam Houston State. Or Michigan State vs Jacksonville State (who?). Or Oregon vs South Dakota. Really? That's like pitting UAlbany against the Seahawks. Why? IMO all you do is risk your kids getting injured by getting smoked by a safety or linebacker who is 10x bigger, 10x faster, and hits 10x harder.

But it's NOT like that. This isn't 15-year-old high school JV players against the Packers, it's players the same age with the same amount of experience and time in the weight room. Usually the difference is a small amount of size OR speed, not both. That difference can translate to a lot of points but not necessarily a lot of injuries.

Yep

Injuries happen at all levels of football. I heard these same concerns when Albany began playing CAA teams, but when I was at Delaware in 2006 it was the Blue Hens who kept getting helped off the field. I don't remember ambulances working overtime as Albany stepped up the competition.

I don't know if a study has ever been done to settle this question. Maybe there are fewer injuries at the top venues because the field conditions are better.

And nobody in Great Dane land would have wanted to pass up playing Delaware, Montana, Georgia Southern, etc. etc etc..

with limited schollies and in the inferior NEC.

Gotcha.

Sigh...Gontarek wide open...Fiacchi overthrow. Need those against CAA top teams.

Agree. D1 QB has to hit that pass.

Thing that makes me most mad about DaneZone is that the tech team obviously had no clue something was wrong until I opened a tech support ticket. They did fix it quickly though. Just looked at my account history. Joined DaneZone in 2008. It has improved soooo much since then.

I'm loving this game!!!

My eyes cannot unsee the Columbia band.

This. WTH?

Their 'play' or whatever the hell that was at halftime was atrocious. When they said something about Albany being the capital only in name and NYC being the real capital, many of us (at least in 205) booed them. And then they were doing pushups after the touchdown? And evidently heckling our fans in a game where they were getting DESTROYED?

What a bunch of idiots.

My 70-0 thought was right on schedule until the second half.

There was another Fiachhi throw that seemed horribly short on a wide open receiver near the sideline.

Osbourne. The man. With help from the boys on the line.

Well, it's good to be 4-0. I'm enjoying this season so much more than last!!!!!!!

Let's bring our A game next weekend.

The Columbia fans were morons...I've never seen anything like it. In the second half I took my two boys on the berm to stretch their legs. When the game was 42-7 towards the end, they as a group continued to hackle UA. At one point they screamed in unison, what I can only assume is some form if Ivy League trash talking...saying, who wrote .....(I didn't catch the obscure piece of literature)... waited like 3 seconds and then together screamed, "They don't know" then proceed to deride the the state school education. I happen to be about 30 feet from them so I replied...hey Columbia, what's the difference in score on the scoreboards? They stood there flabbergasted,5 seconds went by and I asked them if they needed to get their calculators outs. Some of them laughed, others were visibly pissed...UA fans around me (there weren't that many) broke out in laughter.

They literally were the worst fans I've ever seen...hugely disrespectful. All game yelling that our school sucks, that our students are stupid (implying it). Their parting shot was a paragraph long chant on how Albany is a cultural wasteland.

Embarrassing display...whomever let them on at half time needs to be fired (tsk tsk)!

Edited by Clickclack