UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

What a great season!

1-11 to 7-5 and really 4 or 5 plays away from 9-3 and the playoffs.

We'll need to replace some solid LBs and QB, RB and TE but we've got a lot of great players coming back next year so the future is very bright.

DLine needs to be beefed up in recruiting.

Quite frankly the only disappointing thing from this entire season is attendance. Will we even average 5,000? Yesterday was pitiful. That's hopefully Bensons #1 priority.

Edited by danefan

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Based on everything this year, I think this program is 1 or 2 solid CAA level recruiting classes away from doing damage.

Attendance during cold weather will always be rough...especially when last game is right near Thanksgiving. However, I agree that it needs to be a main focus. Total for yesterday was 4.1k

Based on everything this year, I think this program is 1 or 2 solid CAA level recruiting classes away from doing damage.

Attendance during cold weather will always be rough...especially when last game is right near Thanksgiving. However, I agree that it needs to be a main focus. Total for yesterday was 4.1k

4,100 was generous. I don't think there were that many in the seats.

Would you say 5.3k is a reasonable avg coming off a 1 win season? However, looking at the stats from last year, we averaged less, but had more fans show up. So seems like a mix bag. However, we seems to all agree this has got to be the main focus of our new AD.

Attendance ranked 78th in FCS (of 123), 46th in % of capacity. IDK if you want to compare this to the Northeast instead of nationwide. We're ahead (barely) of only Rhode Island in the CAA, just behind Maine. Maybe playing Buffalo next year, especially if we win, will boost the local perception of the level of football we're playing but we might have to play a power conference school for that. The non-conference home game we get will speak to that too.

http://stats.ncaa.org/rankings/change_sport_year_div attendance is under "Misc Reports"

Edited by UAalum72

Would you say 5.3k is a reasonable avg coming off a 1 win season? However, looking at the stats from last year, we averaged less, but had more fans show up. So seems like a mix bag. However, we seems to all agree this has got to be the main focus of our new AD.

I think it's honestly terrible. We should be able to average 7,000 without a problem. The school needs to address its marketing and community involvement immediately.

Not that we should be measuring ourselves against them or anything, but other than the first season at LaValle, Stony Brook never averaged 5000 until 2011, even with their supposed advantages of a larger, richer market and all the praise Fiore got as a publicity hound.

Let's give Mark Benson a fair chance. He is brand new and his is trying to tackle a problem which has existed forever. If there is anyone who is going to change student apathy and get the Capital Region behind UAlbany sports its Mark.

I'm not as pessimistic as others on this front. I don't think it will take a whole lot to turn this around. Keep building a winning culture and people will come with a bit off assistance from a revamped public outreach campaign, student engagement and advertising.

We have all complained how little was done in this realm in the past. Let's give the new ad a bit of time. This market will embrace UA.