UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

MBB: vs. UMBC 1/6

From my vantage point with the band, and right next to the UMBC bench, I noticed that 2 of their bigs were getting attention to their backs throughout the game... Not sure how good their front court is when well, but I don't think we saw them at their best.

Yep, I let the refs hear it all night. Not sure where you sit, but if you're anywhere near me we need to team up next time.

LOL. If you are who I think you are, I am just a few (maybe 2?) rows behind you a little closer to center court (by a few seats). I don't normally raise my voice and yell at the refs that much, because I sometimes have my 9 or 6 year old with me, but on a school night I normally bring a friend and last night was so bad I couldn't help myself.

Funny how different perceptions are. Although attendance was decent I thought the crowd was dead. Maybe it was the pregame beer.

Could be where you sit? I got to listen to llko singing "One Way" all game to keep it exciting :)

That would be me, hahah.

I only sang it once, but I did threaten them that if they continued to make bad calls I'd sing it again. My favorite moment was when I randomly yelled and the guy missed the FT. I like to think that I had a play in that lol...I remember one game a few years ago I did that all game and literally the opposing team was like 4-15 from the line that game hah. Usually when we have a nice crowd I don't yell as much cause it's hard to be heard...I enjoy blowouts when it's quiet or games with little fans (occasionally) so I can be heard :P.

It's that short white haired ref, of all the refs we see he's the worst. Followed by the guy that looks like Stephen Collins (actor - Seventh Heaven, Revolution, etc.). The last guy in my Top 3 Worst Refs ever is this shorter black guy whose bald...looks a little like a bald version of David Oyelowo lol (Interstellar, Selma, etc.).

As for UMBC's guards...they had a bunch of turnovers in the 2nd half (at one point like 4 consecutive) where they turned the ball over after trying to get cute with dribbling, etc. They may be athletic, but I didn't think they killed us all that much. Hell, that Lyles kid had 6 TO's himself...although he did have 4 steals.

Edited by Ilko

Just watched some of the archived game and the beginning had the new intro video. They are certainly doing their best to make the game day experience better for fans. Just need to have it on a big time video board hanging from center court!

Full lighting over the bleachers during the game.

I noticed the blackout during the intros was causing problems for some people still trying to find their seats.

The white-haired ref is John Hughes, much-maligned not only here, but on the Siena board, the UVM board and probably anywhere else northeastern refs are discussed.

I am glad so many were talking about the ref's. My wife says I complain about the ref's no matter what; so I have been making a conscious effort to stop; but like someone else said, last night it was almost "weird." Travel calls both ways not made (@ one point Mike R pretty much shuffled/slided/skidded to the basket--no call); the charge on Stire who literally was just standing there with his hands up for what seemed like 5-10 seconds has to be included in the worse of all time [my wife says my all time worse list is too big to be considered a list in any sense of the word] and the foul by Lylies on Cremo was flagrant in every sense of the word. Speaking of charges, since the invention of the 6ft or whatever it is arc and the emphasis on "smoothing" the game and getting more scoring, it seems to me ref's no longer have any idea what's a charge and what is not. It has always been a difficult call to make, but now it seems almost totally arbitrary. And speaking of "smoothing" the game, I read an article that the ncaa is trilled with the results so far with scoring up, fouling and injuries down. I have NOT seen this at all in our games and games I have watched on tv?? Maybe it is true at the highest level where everyone is ultra athletic and a mickey-D all america? But @ lower levels where athletes are not as "smooth"?????????? Opinions??

Well, it sounds like I am complaining/rambling but actually I enjoyed last nights game very much. I thought we played well for the most part, had an answer for all of umbc's runs and the crowd seemed loud and into the game.

Edited by dslyank

And llko, that free throw you are mentioning made me laugh as well. You yelled at just the right moment where I am convinced that you made an impact. One of the worst free throws I have seen at the D1 level. Can't even call it a brick. It was long and wide and had a weird bounce of the backboard and rim. An airball would have been better.

• Like 1

I am glad so many were talking about the ref's. My wife says I complain about the ref's no matter what; so I have been making a conscious effort to stop; but like someone else said, last night it was almost "weird." Travel calls both ways not made (@ one point Mike R pretty much shuffled/slided/skidded to the basket--no call); the charge on Stire who literally was just standing there with his hands up for what seemed like 5-10 seconds has to be included in the worse of all time [my wife says my all time worse list is too big to be considered a list in any sense of the word] and the foul by Lylies on Cremo was flagrant in every sense of the word. Speaking of charges, since the invention of the 6ft or whatever it is arc and the emphasis on "smoothing" the game and getting more scoring, it seems to me ref's no longer have any idea what's a charge and what is not. It has always been a difficult call to make, but now it seems almost totally arbitrary. And speaking of "smoothing" the game, I read an article that the ncaa is trilled with the results so far with scoring up, fouling and injuries down. I have NOT seen this at all in our games and games I have watched on tv?? Maybe it is true at the highest level where everyone is ultra athletic and a mickey-D all america? But @ lower levels where athletes are not as "smooth"?????????? Opinions??

Well, it sounds like I am complaining/rambling but actually I enjoyed last nights game very much. I thought we played well for the most part, had an answer for all of umbc's runs and the crowd seemed loud and into the game.

The new rules confuse me, especially when it comes to the low post play. offensive player has his back to the basket and is trying to back down the defender. Defender is holding his ground and they are bumping. All of a sudden a whistle and I have no idea why the defender is getting a foul. Happened to Stire twice list night and happened twice to UMBC where I just don't understand why there was a foul on what looked like a standard low post play situation.

I mentioned the Stire one earlier in this thread when it happened. I saw him standing there when the UMBC player started his drive and figured he would try to go around him instead of into so he wouldn't be called for a charge. But instead he went right into him and it was a BLOCK?!?! I screamed at my TV at that point. haha.

• Like 1

The new rules confuse me, especially when it comes to the low post play. offensive player has his back to the basket and is trying to back down the defender. Defender is holding his ground and they are bumping. All of a sudden a whistle and I have no idea why the defender is getting a foul. Happened to Stire twice list night and happened twice to UMBC where I just don't understand why there was a foul on what looked like a standard low post play situation.

I mentioned the Stire one earlier in this thread when it happened. I saw him standing there when the UMBC player started his drive and figured he would try to go around him instead of into so he wouldn't be called for a charge. But instead he went right into him and it was a BLOCK?!?! I screamed at my TV at that point. haha.

This. I even sarcastically yelled to the UA guys to stop playing defense because they aren't allowed to. I dont' get some of the calls either, on both sides. Let them bump and be a LITTLE physical, sheesh.

And llko, that free throw you are mentioning made me laugh as well. You yelled at just the right moment where I am convinced that you made an impact. One of the worst free throws I have seen at the D1 level. Can't even call it a brick. It was long and wide and had a weird bounce of the backboard and rim. An airball would have been better.

No, when the player went to the line a guy behind me was already predicting he wouldn't hit the rim. That player didn't need any help from the crowd to miss his shot.

It's funny how quietly Evan Singletary goes about his business. I didn't even notice the night he put together - 14 points, 6 rebounds, 6 assists, 3 steals and only 2 turnovers. If you would have asked me after the game I wouldn't have said he had that great of a night. He just gets it done.