UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

Season ticket renewals.

Alum 92 nails it... One of the best post on the subject. I love being lectured that it's a "few bucks" per game as his tickets almost double.

And yet there are crickets as to an explanation. This is not the way to run a business. I don't know about others but I'm neither poor nor broke but as a consumer I have an expectation that if you are going to double prices to double digit increases, it's incumbent on you the entity raising prices to tell me what I'm paying for. At bare minimum demonstrate demand... That I would understand... Not here though. 50% full... Let's double the price.

We'll see what this does to attendance. In the meantime a coach who's been to the ncaa 5 times is basically a lame duck. That, Benson can't get done...boggles the mind that this administration thinks a way to grow the season ticket base is to increase season tickets by 30-50% and on top of that demand another $500 for parking. Neither commodity is sold out...

Edited by Clickclack
  • Like 1

I love how you assume that Benson "can't get it done". Do we know that either side has even a attempted to get it done?

I do!

Would you have preferred if I point out that going into year 3 of his administration we still have a 30 year old website? Can he get that done?

Better question may be what can he do other than double ticket prices with limited demand and extort parking donations.

Edited by Clickclack

I also wonder what deal you had last year as my seats only went up 33% which according to my math isn't close to double.

It's not my job to defend the department as I probably have less inside information than many on the board. I just think the argument is silly over such a small raise in real dollars.

The amount of trust the board shows for the program and leadership is sad really. I guess this is what it feels like to be a Met fan? I know it reminds me of being a Yankee fan in the early 90s...

RE: Limited demand

From an economics point of view: there is a percentage of fans that will buy seats no matter what the cost increase is. It is the job of an actuary to determine the economic risks of each price point. Now I would guess they didn't hire an actuarial firm before deciding on the increase, but I am guessing that as a business school they might have done the calculations:

X# of season ticket sales X $150 = Last Year's number

Y# of season ticket sales X $200 = This years number

If 25% of season ticket holders decide not to buy tickets then they end up with the same $$ at the end of the day. Do you think 25% will cancel seats over $50?

With the Siena game, I wouldn't be surprised if they end up selling more tickets. I personally know of at least 4 season tickets are going to be purchased by a Siena fan I know that has never set foot in SEFCU.

Edited by godanesgo99

RE: Limited demand

From an economics point of view: there is a percentage of fans that will buy seats no matter what the cost increase is. It is the job of an actuary to determine the economic risks of each price point. Now I would guess they didn't hire an actuarial firm before deciding on the increase, but I am guessing that as a business school they might have done the calculations:

X# of season ticket sales X $150 = Last Year's number

Y# of season ticket sales X $200 = This years number

If 25% of season ticket holders decide not to buy tickets then they end up with the same $$ at the end of the day. Do you think 25% will cancel seats over $50?

With the Siena game, I wouldn't be surprised if they end up selling more tickets. I personally know of at least 4 season tickets are going to be purchased by a Siena fan I know that has never set foot in SEFCU.

How's that going to go next year when Siena isn't in the schedule?

I also wonder what deal you had last year as my seats only went up 33% which according to my math isn't close to double.

It's not my job to defend the department as I probably have less inside information than many on the board. I just think the argument is silly over such a small raise in real dollars.

The amount of trust the board shows for the program and leadership is sad really. I guess this is what it feels like to be a Met fan? I know it reminds me of being a Yankee fan in the early 90s...

How are you going to increase demand, by raising season tix by 33%. Only time will tell if this strategy will work. It will either be great if it will crash and burn. Scheduling teams like St. Francis and Oneonta will not help. If the administration is banking on the Siena game to bring in new UA season ticket holders they are out of their mind. Game will be on TV either way locally and it will be the first time in a long time that we will be heavy underdogs.

Hey don't mean to hijack this thread but wanted to advertise the second half of my four season tickets for football. My wife is due with twins around the start of November. We hope to go to the first half of the season but the second half is a definite no. I already paid for the tickets in full before we found out our good news. I want these tickets to be used so if anyone wants them for free PM me, only catch is you have to pay for parking.

• Like 1

It's not small dollars. For me and you, perhaps. I only pay for one seat which is $210 (don't pay for women's because I don't go to the games)...not sure how many you pay for. But for me, whatever, I'm blessed enough to afford stuff like that with ease. But what about Alum who paid $1800 for a long time and now has to pay $3300? Imagine when I become a family man and want to get my kids tickets...it won't be just $210. It'll be $1k, etc. Now imagine that you're paying that much with ZERO information about the future of the program...everything has been status quo since BoFo went up and the process jumps 33%. I'd be pissed.

And to Bob's quips about $10-20 on snacks a game...Bob, you bring your family to games? I know for a fact a few people in my section spend MORE than that because they bring their kids. Popcorn is like $5, bottle of water is $3, bag of M&M's is like $3, hotdog is $4. That crap adds up, QUICK. Families can't always 'eat ahead' because their time is sometimes even more limited than mine, a single chap. It wasn't necessarily a statement about my spending although between a bottle of water, M&M's and sometimes popcorn will add up for anyone.

B9j, congrats homie!

Those who say stop complaining about a few bucks, and prices did not double are missing the point! IT IS NOT ABOUT THE MONEY!! But for your benefit, last year I paid $130 for two seats (not Gold but as near to Gold as you could get). This year I paid $145 for one seat. Any way you look at it to get two seats, I would have to pay more than TWICE (double) as much. The point is my extra seat sat empty all but one game and so did much of the rest of the seats in my row. So basketball this year goes from $300 to $410 (36%, I get it not double, but % wise still a pretty hefty number considering inflation has been running near zero for years). A couple years back, I gave up one of my BB seats (for reasons. totally unrelated to anything here). I found I was still able to use that seat pretty much whenever I wanted to. Feeling guilty, I since bought it back; but the point, the DEMAND for seats is NOT there. Those who say stop complaining, need to explain how does raising prices HELP promote demand? Of course, one answer would be, the increased revenue will help us put a better product on the court and create better facilities. {Both of which could be done with fund raising without discouraging demand.} And if a better product and facilities is the intent, then advertising it as such would be a GOOD idea you would think.

Edited by dslyank
  • Like 1

It's not small dollars. For me and you, perhaps. I only pay for one seat which is $210 (don't pay for women's because I don't go to the games)...not sure how many you pay for. But for me, whatever, I'm blessed enough to afford stuff like that with ease. But what about Alum who paid $1800 for a long time and now has to pay $3300? Imagine when I become a family man and want to get my kids tickets...it won't be just $210. It'll be $1k, etc. Now imagine that you're paying that much with ZERO information about the future of the program...everything has been status quo since BoFo went up and the process jumps 33%. I'd be pissed.

And to Bob's quips about $10-20 on snacks a game...Bob, you bring your family to games? I know for a fact a few people in my section spend MORE than that because they bring their kids. Popcorn is like $5, bottle of water is $3, bag of M&M's is like $3, hotdog is $4. That crap adds up, QUICK. Families can't always 'eat ahead' because their time is sometimes even more limited than mine, a single chap. It wasn't necessarily a statement about my spending although between a bottle of water, M&M's and sometimes popcorn will add up for anyone.

B9j, congrats homie!

How many times have we talked about having a place where the community goes for the "EXPERIENCE". What that means to me is, comfortable seats, good basketball, decent enough concessions. I go with my two boys, they LOVE picking out candy or a soda, to them this is part of the experience. They get plenty of it at home but they love to watch the games and snack etc.

Perhaps I should stop at CVS before games, buy them a can of soda (just one, can't afford two with 33-36% increase in tickets) and say here...you drink this in the teachers parking lot boys and then we'll walk in the dead of winter for 15 minutes so you can experience the joy of UA basketball. The fact that people make dumb comments like eat before you go the game shows the small-minded mentality of what a sporting even can/should be. If I want to buy a hot-dog that isn't cold, steamed 48 hours earlier, I should be able to.

Again, it's not about the $$...I said it before and I'll say it again, how will raising the ticket prices spur demand for a product at best 50% capacity? How will the increased prices correlate to a better fan experience (to those of us who care about such things)? Nothing, crickets...just trust us!

Edited by Clickclack

I'm surprised Benson has not forced Brown to sched two exhibition games at SEFCU instead of the closed scrimmages so he can charge season ticket holders for another two games.

Yeah, thanks for the idea...and you'll have to park for this in the teachers lot as well or give an additional $200 donation.

• Like 2