UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

21 minutes ago, Dane96 said:

I've said it to multiple people.  We have a big issue with our linebackers and having both Burton and Gray out for the season at Safety is a huge issue.

Reeder has nailed this to a "T".

Where have they been all spring ball, off season workouts and training camp? They can't do the fundamental things. 

The offense wasn't the problem. It was the defense. If you look at the stats, the offense was fairly good. I know that includes possessions against their second and third lines, but still. 

How many stops has the UA defense gotten all season? I could be mistaken, but I think when the team is within 20 points the defense has given up a score on every single possession (or very close to that). It's painful to say it because the defense has been the strength of the team for the last few years. 

If your defense is strong, and your offense sucks, you stay in games but lose close (see 2017). If your defense can't stop anyone, it really doesn't matter how good your offense is. You won't win a shootout. You need at least an average defense just to win 4-5 games. 

Is Bernard completely in control of the D? If so, it appears that is the teams problem. No O last year, no D this year.

The team can still have a good year if they turn the D around, but confidence is extremely low. 

On a different note, did Stire make the team? Any chance we get to see him in a game? 

Edited by godanesgo99
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, godanesgo99 said:

The offense wasn't the problem. It was the defense. If you look at the stats, it was fairly good. I know that includes possessions against their second and third lines. 

How many stops has the UA defense gotten all season? I could be mistaken, but I think when the team is within 20 points the defense has given up a score on every single possession (or very close to that). It's painful to say it because the defense has been the strength of the team for the last few years. 

If your defense is strong, and your offense sucks, you stay in games but lose close (see 2017). If your defense can't stop anyone, it really doesn't matter how good your offense is. You won't win a shootout. You need at least an average defense just to win 4-5 games. 

Is Bernard completely in control of the D? If so, it appears that is the teams problem. No O last year, no D this year.

The team can still have a good year if they turn the D around, but confidence is extremely low. 

On a different note, did Stire make the team? Any chance we get to see him in a game? 

I know people will bristle but there is very little talent on defense...they don't pass eye test. They can't get any pressure, secondary short and appears to be slow, they can't do the basics like wrap up. Coaching makes them worse. This is a problem years in the making and will take a few cycles to correct. 

That's why I'm done reading recruiting thread or listening to gg... Everyone talks like we finally have recruits and a CCA roster and then they step on the field. We are trending way down from Ford days... 

1 hour ago, jimbo said:

This coach and team are 1-8 in their last 9 games. 

That's ridiculous. What coach would survive a 1-8 YEAR? NONE. ALL would be fired. Yet, our leadership gave him an extension because his losing record was over two years (1-6 to end last year). 

Seriously. WHAT. THE. HELL? Makes no sense. Makes me slightly angry. 

Edited by Eli

1 hour ago, jimbo said:

Don't know about Stire, but Bernard Clark is gone....huge loss in my mind.

I was talking about Joe Bernard. The guy who made the UA Offense suck so he moved to defensive coordinator and special teams coordinator and apparently found a way to make both those groups suck too. 

Edited by godanesgo99
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

I haven't found the stats anywhere, but can anyone find or share some stats on the defense?

How many stops has the team gotten this year? How many of our opponents drives ended without a score? I know the team didn't allow Pitt to score in the second half, but how many stops did the team get while within 3 scores so far this season? Has it happened once? Twice?

It seems that every possession that an opponent has had while UA still had a shot to be in the game ended with an opponent TD. I have to imagine the D is close to the worst rated in all of D1 after 2 games. 

1 minute ago, godanesgo99 said:

I haven't found the stats anywhere, but can anyone find or share some stats on the defense?

How many stops has the team gotten this year? How many of our opponents drives ended without a score? I know the team didn't allow Pitt to score in the second half, but how many stops did the team get while within 3 scores so far this season? Has it happened once? Twice?

It seems that every possession that an opponent has had while UA still had a shot to be in the game ended with an opponent TD. I have to imagine the D is close to the worst rated in all of D1 after 2 games. 

I looked up total defense rankings, and UA is 64 out of 116 FCS schools. That can't be right. 

6 minutes ago, godanesgo99 said:

I was talking about Joe Bernard. The guy who made the UA Offense suck so he moved to defensive coordinator and special teams coordinator and apparently found a way to make both those groups suck too. 

And my point was in addition to moving over the bad Bernard.. You lost the good Bernard. 

1 hour ago, godanesgo99 said:

I looked up total defense rankings, and UA is 64 out of 116 FCS schools. That can't be right. 

I don’t know what rankings you’re looking at but:

Pitt scored touchdowns on their first 5 possessions including every possession in the first half.   

Rhode Island scored on their first 7 possessions - 6 touchdowns and 1 field goal including every possession in the first half.

• Sad 1

39 minutes ago, reeder said:

I don’t know what rankings you’re looking at but:

Pitt scored touchdowns on their first 5 possessions including every possession in the first half.   

Rhode Island scored on their first 7 possessions - 6 touchdowns and 1 field goal including every possession in the first half.

I just brought up total defense on the NCAA FCS rankings page. Your stats above pretty much confirm exactly what I was saying. 

The offense has done pretty well (even though they are lower ranked on that same rankings page using total offense) but you can't expect to score every time down the field. Have a good scoring percentage, and get a few stops and you are in the game. If you can't stop your opponent even once in the first half, you better receive to start the game and hope to have 100% scoring as well. 

That is an utterly ridiculous stat. Thank you for confirming my guess.  

• Like 1