UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

New Facilities

It's too bad I won't be able to regularly enjoy this type of thing if UA ever upgrades due to my move. Was hoping SEFCU would get reno'ed but that doesn't seem to be on the horizon anytime soon...congrats to the Maine fans/alumni!

There is NO ONE with Alfond type money in the capital region. You are talking 5 billion wealthy plus the foundation, which has another couple of billion.  

Financially, known public wealth for UA Alumni would be:

Hamdi Ulukaya at around $2 billion (if memory serves)

Thomas Clarke (President of Nike)- his stock worth is in the 20 million

Monte and Avery Lipman (Founders of Republic Records, now part of the Universal Music Group)- combined estimated net worth of 60 million

There are some pretty big heavy hitting alumni at Goldman Sachs and some major, major law firms.  One of those big hitters donated a large sum to Casey Stadium's initial build, and Dan Nolan (Ayco, which is now a Sachs company) donated a million.  Combined, with the four above...you don't even come close to the Alfond money.  The family trust just donated $500 million this year alone to New England universities.  They basically built UMAINE's athletic programs and their fledgling engineering school.

Edited by Dane96
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Eli said:

Yeah...so impressive. UA is falling behind fast.

I don't think it is fair to compare this Maine deal to anything.  That said, Benson has been on the job for almost 3/4 of a decade...makes over a quarter of a million dollars (I believe second highest in the SUNY system).  It's part of the job description and, in my opinion, not being overly critical, however it is time for Benson to show some big moves.  COVID notwithstanding, the Casey Family gift of $10 million is not enough.  And there is a debate on whether that gift was teed up already, however credit is due for closing the deal (or assisting on the close).

The ADEPT is in need of THREE critical facilities:  Indoor Practice Facility; Sports Department Building/Endzone complex (it will benefit all teams in some respect); and an upgrade or new basketball facility (if new, then you can get a fourth facility in an indoor track).

Do you all realize that their is NO AC in the football lockerroom?  That's crazy. 

• Thanks 1

Golubs, Wright’s (SI Group), Dakes (Stewart’s), Standish (Albany Int), Breyo (Ayco/Goldman Sachs) and a few large local developers would be in the lead pack.  Nobody remotely approaching Alfond family.

There’s an Amy Goldman Fowler in Rhinebeck that has a $3.1B net worth. Anybody have any connections?

Edited by McFan

On 2/18/2021 at 5:12 PM, Dane96 said:

I don't think it is fair to compare this Maine deal to anything.  That said, Benson has been on the job for almost 3/4 of a decade...makes over a quarter of a million dollars (I believe second highest in the SUNY system).  It's part of the job description and, in my opinion, not being overly critical, however it is time for Benson to show some big moves.  COVID notwithstanding, the Casey Family gift of $10 million is not enough.  And there is a debate on whether that gift was teed up already, however credit is due for closing the deal (or assisting on the close).

The ADEPT is in need of THREE critical facilities:  Indoor Practice Facility; Sports Department Building/Endzone complex (it will benefit all teams in some respect); and an upgrade or new basketball facility (if new, then you can get a fourth facility in an indoor track).

Do you all realize that their is NO AC in the football lockerroom?  That's crazy. 

Speak it into existence! And seeing some of those images of the locker rooms and then looking at ours...man. Even half of what Maine has would be a day and night difference for our boys and girls.

The proof will be in the actually completion of the projects....based on past articles that I have seen on the University of Maine, Orono has had trouble recruiting and retaining students outside of Maine...further it faces some of the funding issues UAlbany faces as a publicly financed institution in particular with sports (sounds little like UVM and the State of Vermont).  A family with a deep Maine history have stepped up.

5 hours ago, cwdickens said:

The proof will be in the actually completion of the projects....based on past articles that I have seen on the University of Maine, Orono has had trouble recruiting and retaining students outside of Maine...further it faces some of the funding issues UAlbany faces as a publicly financed institution in particular with sports (sounds little like UVM and the State of Vermont).  A family with a deep Maine history have stepped up.

Don't think public/state funding matters much when you have a wealthy private family willing to pony up the cash.