UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

Game #16 (AET 2nd Round): 2/28/21 - 3:00PM vs Harford (Hartford, CT)

Eli

11 minutes ago, UA1882 said:

Good game.  I got my wish and they played as hard as they could. That being said I hope they let Brown go. I have been a season ticket holder for 10 years sitting center court.  He has made several coaching mistakes this year. If they bring him back I will support him but it's time.  A major mistake this game was :

down 2 with the ball. Offense completely lost.  Brown with 3 time outs does not call one.  Ball gets stolen that's really the game. 

Keep an eye out for Bing...stays in NY, Dempsey contract is over..much better facilities. They don't really give a $iena about winning.

Bring Brown back on an extremely short deal or move on.  He has done a ton for this university but sometimes change is good . The grass is not always greener but something has to change.  He is too loyal to get rid of his assistants.

No matter what happens I'll support the program.  

2 minutes ago, Clickclack said:

Keep an eye out for Bing...stays in NY, Dempsey contract is over..much better facilities. They don't really give a $iena about winning.

Good point.  Even Stoney Brook , which is where he is from . Not sure the contract terms for their coach though. Could come back as well.  But I assume if he was 100 percent coming back they would have extended him. 

Wow - talk about being thoroughly outcoached. Are you kidding me? A mediocre team losing to another mediocre team that was in foul trouble for 3/4 of the game. Great coaching by Hartford changing defenses all game to get through the foul issues. And we never made the necessary adjustments to take advantage of their problems. The announcers kept saying that Albany was a good defensive team - what team were they watching? Hartford shot 53% from the floor. UA could not get a stop and let a very mediocre team score 80 POINTS.  

Ho hum....Another year, another early exit. As I previously said, this team is no longer relevant - it’s now just another subpar team in a weak conference. What defines our team now? Who the hell knows! We have no true identity or plan.The longer this goes on, the more difficult it will become to recruit.

”But at least they have good grades!”

Sorry CB, we can lose with you, we can lose without you - it’s time for a change and a rebuild of this program. Change for change sake is sometimes necessary.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, UA1882 said:

Good point.  Even Stoney Brook , which is where he is from . Not sure the contract terms for their coach though. Could come back as well.  But I assume if he was 100 percent coming back they would have extended him. 

Dempsey is expired...ford has years I believe. Both of those situations are better then Albany with our arena. Hard to argue against the notion that the programs best years are behind them with this staff. It's not one rough year but 3 in a row. A lot of programs have passed us by.

Edited by Clickclack
  • Like 1

26 minutes ago, Eli said:

That's extremely telling.

Benson had his specific coaches he hasn't liked since he began and he has been vocal about it internally....again those coaches wouldn't be drinking buddies and get all friendly buddy buddy with him (which shouldn't be a job requirement)..or bend recruiting rules.

If he actually wanted to get rid of him for not winning that would be one thing...

Has Benson hired any winning coaches that took their teams to the NCAA? Asking because I actually don't know the answer.

Edited by MRSGDG

4 minutes ago, MRSGDG said:

Benson had his specific coaches he hasn't liked since he began and he has been vocal about it internally....again they wouldn't be his drinking buddies..or bend recruiting rules.

If he actually wanted to get rid of him for not winning that would be one thing...

Has Benson hired any winning coaches that took their teams to the NCAA? Asking because I actually don't know the answer.

This is the scary part...his track record is bad hiring coaches. One of the most significant issues is lack of support for things like summer school etc. If you go down this road, how will you improve the program other than coach? That has to be asked...program is definitely at a crossroads.

7 minutes ago, Clickclack said:

This is the scary part...his track record is bad hiring coaches. One of the most significant issues is lack of support for things like summer school etc. If you go down this road, how will you improve the program other than coach? That has to be asked...program is definitely at a crossroads.

Exactly. We are a low mid major. Describe what you're looking for in a coach. What resources will you give the coach? 

Where is Pres. Rodriguez on this unless he just trust his Admin Leaders to do the right thing for the university.

I know previous coach contracts actually cared about their student athletes academics. If I remember correctly there were incentives in the coaches contract to get your student athletes on the all academic teams. But I believe the most recent extension did not include that. 

We aren't going to be graduating any NBA players. I think that this is the part of the American East. And I think most teams know it. You get good smart kids who can play ball. And you try your best to get to the NCAA's. And if you don't like it then go root for a blueblood team. Unless Benson is taking this into a completely different route. But again he doesn't have a good record on hiring coaches who can win...

Edited by MRSGDG
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, MRSGDG said:

Benson had his specific coaches he hasn't liked since he began and he has been vocal about it internally....again those coaches wouldn't be drinking buddies and get all friendly buddy buddy with him (which shouldn't be a job requirement)..or bend recruiting rules.

This was my thinking as well...in terms of this is Bensons chance to get 'his' coach for the team instead of a coach he inherited.

8 minutes ago, MRSGDG said:

Exactly. We are a low mid major. Describe what you're looking for in a coach. What resources will you give the coach? 

Where is Pres. Rodriguez on this unless he just trust his Admin Leaders to do the right thing for the university.

I know previous coach contracts actually cared about their student athletes academics. If I remember correctly there were incentives in the coaches contract to get your student athletes on the all academic teams. But I believe the most recent extension did not include that. 

We aren't going to be graduating any NBA players. I think that this is the part of the American East. And I think most teams know it. You get good smart kids who can play ball. And you try your best to get to the NCAA's. And if you don't like it then go root for a blueblood team. Unless Benson is taking this into a completely different route. But again he doesn't have a good record on hiring coaches who can win...

Ultimately if he's here long enough he will be judged on his decision. The move to extend Gattuso has paid off in the short term. Having said that...we need to be competitive with top of the AE and if we are being fair we aren't and haven't been for a while. Point is Brown fair or not has given Benson an opening.

But count me as concerned, the guy has some bad hires and can't do simple things like put in a bag policy. In fact I'd fire him before Brown. I'm of the opinion that Benson is fairly well insulated from criticism and I'm not sure why. The guy is kind of a complete zero.

Edited by Clickclack
  • Like 3

Have to say I think it’s laughable that Coach Brown hasn’t been extended.  The results you get at UAlbany in relationship to the budget, facilities and other factors is beyond measure.  This does not mean from a coaching perspective it can’t be better, there is always room for growth and improvement.  But second guessing a coach is one of the easiest things one can do.  Based on what I know and have experienced, Coach Brown’s results far exceed the circumstances.  He is likely a victim of his own previous successes.  There was an inflection point with the program that the university missed that could have firmly rooted the program as a “Vermont” or similarly positioned low mid major.  Instead the program was left to succeed seemingly on the graces of the coaching staff.    And in today’s world of college athletics,  you simply need more than a good coach to be successful.  The support and commitment from the university and community are as necessary as Xs and Os.  My children have participated in college athletics at four division 1 universities and I have personally been involved with the college selections of at least 50 other kids over the years.  The fact that UAlbany has been closer to Vermont than Binghamton (sorry Mr. Terry) is due to one person; Coach Brown.  You can change coaches and make other changes to properly support the program but why do that when you already have a good coach. Make changes around him to help him compete. 

• Like 5