UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

2 minutes ago, bob87 said:

What do you expect a coach to say? Would you be happier if he was the first coach ever to say we are going to lose every game next season. 

What else can he say? Just the thought of another year with him at the helm is discouraging. I’d be happier if he said that he has failed to meet the expectations of his position and will be resigning so a new coach can be hired. In a perfect world of course. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

47 minutes ago, bob87 said:

What do you expect a coach to say? Would you be happier if he was the first coach ever to say we are going to lose every game next season. 

Could have started with...I'm horrible at this coaching thing, so I'm considering taking up great dane dog breeding instead. If Mark Benson fires me, it will be a just end to me stealing from the University for 8 years. I'm sorry I suck so much. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, bob87 said:

I don't have the full quote in front of me and probably can't get it due to TU and their pay wall but...

We have 8 years of his MO in the interview room to go on. My guess is he did NOT say:

"I failed this year. I didn't put my guys in the best position to win. Perhaps we have some restructuring that is needed on the staff in order to maximize the talents of everyone on the program. It starts with me and I need to do a better job for the sake of this program and this fine university."

My guess is the full quote is probably more along the lines of:

"The QB didn't play well and we had no good running backs to backup Karl. We'll have a great year in 2022. I've been doing this for 30 years and I know what I'm doing. I don't care what fans think. *blow hot air*"

(btw, that last bit was literally in an email to me years back - let's just say it didn't age well cause he clearly has no clue if Monday morning quarterbacks like me and others see the issues and he can't fix them 😂

I'll be happy to be wrong but we know that GG is notoriously unable to take ownership. That's his biggest issue and IMO is what makes him unable to right the ship. Ever. 

Anyway...now we wait...hopefully the shoe drops quickly. If he's still here by Christmas then we are stuck with him for another year. At least. 

14 hours ago, jimbo said:

Per TU: “We’re going to come back and have a great year in 2022,” Gattuso said in a postgame Zoom call. “That’s exactly what we’re going to do.”

Groan....based on what, exactly? 

If the decision to fire Greg Gattusso has been already made, the shoe will drop today.  Otherwise, Greg Gattuso will meet with Mark Benson and Vic Cegles, tomorrow,  outline his plan for winning record in 2022.  At the very least expect several assistant coaches are gone.  With MBB starting off at 0-4, likely going to 0-6, Benson  has learned a new coach does not mean immediate success.

I like to know what Greg based his comment on....the Great Danes were wiped yesterday.

Edited by cwdickens
  • Thanks 1

They lost 80% of their 2021 games....80%.  Eight years into his coaching stint. They were blown out in their last game by their arch rivals. They gave up 321 yards rushing to SBU. They didn’t score until 38 minutes into the game and by then they were down by 26.  They gave up another TD on special teams.  They fumbled at the 5. The team is broken. The coach has GOT to go. It’s over. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Coach Greg Gattuso: "We didn't show up physically in the first half. Mistakes that haunted us in the early parts of the season, with giving up points, were very hurtful. We knew we were going to need to score points to win the game, but a fumble at the five-yard line, a punt-block, those are misses that are hard to overcome. It's disappointing, I feel bad for our seniors. Our effort level wasn't what it had been and Stony Brook wanted it very badly."

And just WHO is responsible for all of the above?????🤪

• Thanks 2

Also in the TU story

I’ve been self-evaluating for the last four weeks and I’m evaluating each of my coaches,” Gattuso said. “We have talent coming back and I’m excited about that and I’m going to evaluate our football team as a whole and there’s some things we’ve lost that we haven’t been able to do because of the world situation (with COVID-19) at times, just little things of how we do our leadership groups and how we interact with kids and spend time with them. I can’t wait to get back to those.”

Gattuso, who has one year left on his contract, said the staff will begin recruiting in a week.

“We obviously need to be better than we were this year,” Gattuso said. “When you look at this season, it’s flashes of really good things and mental mistakes. At the end of the day, I told my coaches, when we lose close games, I feel very much responsible for that as a coaching staff. We’re going to look and evaluate everything we do and we’re going to come out of it with a plan. We’ve been actively recruiting some really good football players to join our football team.”

If we agree that his recruiting evaluations haven't been stellar, how could we trust him to self-evaluate? That has to be done by someone more objective.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, UAalum72 said:

Also in the TU story

I’ve been self-evaluating for the last four weeks and I’m evaluating each of my coaches,” Gattuso said. “We have talent coming back and I’m excited about that and I’m going to evaluate our football team as a whole and there’s some things we’ve lost that we haven’t been able to do because of the world situation (with COVID-19) at times, just little things of how we do our leadership groups and how we interact with kids and spend time with them. I can’t wait to get back to those.”

Gattuso, who has one year left on his contract, said the staff will begin recruiting in a week.

“We obviously need to be better than we were this year,” Gattuso said. “When you look at this season, it’s flashes of really good things and mental mistakes. At the end of the day, I told my coaches, when we lose close games, I feel very much responsible for that as a coaching staff. We’re going to look and evaluate everything we do and we’re going to come out of it with a plan. We’ve been actively recruiting some really good football players to join our football team.”

If we agree that his recruiting evaluations haven't been stellar, how could we trust him to self-evaluate? That has to be done by someone more objective.

Clueless and delusional as always....have to suffer one more year of this loser...what...he thinks even if he wins 5 or 6 games he'll get reupped again...just resign in shame.

4 hours ago, UAalum72 said:

Also in the TU story

Thank you for posting the whole quote or what not. My earlier comment still stands more or less but at least he didn't blame everything on the players. He spread the wealth to include blaming COVID-19 as if his team is the only one that had to face it. Lol. You don't see many other teams in our league winning only 2 games because of things they lost due to COVID like ability for some leadership groups. 

Ridiculous. And typical. Excuses excuses. 

16 hours ago, Clickclack said:

Clueless and delusional as always....have to suffer one more year of this loser...what...he thinks even if he wins 5 or 6 games he'll get reupped again...just resign in shame.

Concur, however, this begs the question: What has Benson and Cegles have been doing concerning evaluating and providing feedback to Gattuso over the last four years?  Has Gattuso been allowed to run rogue without concern of any fall-out and assistant coaches failing to obtain results without  any consequences?  UAlbany situation sounds like institutional failure.