UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

Game #10: 12/13/21 - 8:00PM at Boston College

Eli

1 hour ago, nysteve661 said:

You forgot the Big10 win vs Penn St maybe 7 years ago.  And there was a win vs Utah in 2007 I believe it was, when they were Mountain West but they are now Pac12 so I count it as Power 5, lol.

well... I am in my sixties.... time to take that medication advertise on TV ...not available in my local CVS... lol

Look at it this way.... We have no idea how the team will perform in conference as the common opponents test suggest we will end in the bottom half of the conference, but you can't really use those as the team is all new, and the coaches are all new ...but if the team does happen to win the conference tournament this win will keep them out of the PIG game. Obviously way too early to think about that, but it is what it is.

1 hour ago, godanesgo99 said:

Look at it this way.... We have no idea how the team will perform in conference as the common opponents test suggest we will end in the bottom half of the conference, but you can't really use those as the team is all new, and the coaches are all new ...but if the team does happen to win the conference tournament this win will keep them out of the PIG game. Obviously way too early to think about that, but it is what it is.

Last night was fun...not going to try and extrapolate that into anything more than last night was fun. 

3 minutes ago, godanesgo99 said:

Agreed. My comment was a response to a few above us that were already mentioning the conference chip.... Lol. Talk about early.

I know...I have always said I just want to see some steady growth this season. I don't think this team will compete for the AE but who knows. Feels like we went from wow, this this is absolutely horrible to talking 'chip after one win. How...why? This team is very much a work in progress. 

• Like 2

After the bummer of a football season and a rough start to the DK era, the fans needed a feel good game too. And we got one. I think the thing that impressed me the most was that every time BC had a run, UA had an answer to shut it down and get back ahead. That goes a long way towards developing confidence as a team I should think. There's that tendency to fold when the going gets tough and they did none of that. Someone always stepped up. It really helps, I think, that we've got the grad students out there. For them, it's been there, done that at a decent NCAA level. 

• Like 1

In a previous thread someone yelled at me for pointing out the analytics after only 5 games. My response was that I would do that after 10, 15, and 20 games if I remember.

After last nights big win and the team now being 3-7: here are some interesting items from the barttorvik analytics site:

• UA now ranks third in the AE in adjusted defensive efficiency (193 overall) behind UVM and NJIT
  • UA now ranks 9th in the conference in adjusted offensive efficiency (345 overall - out of 358) ahead of only Maine
  • Overall UA projects at 8th in the conference ahead of Bing and Maine, and is #308 overall. No one in the AE is in the top 100. (UVM/108, SBU/177, and NH/192 are the only ones in the top 200)
  • There are 72 players in the AE that have played at least 100 minutes this season. Albany has 9 of them so minutes are being spread-out more than that average AE team
  • Matt Cerruti has the highest PRPG! score with 1.7, and is ranked 26th in the conference (Dre Perry is 35th with 1.3) 
  • UMBC has 5 players with a higher score than Matt, which suggests that no one on the UA team would start on that team (obviously ludicrous, but still a fun stat)
  • Jayden Martinez from NH is the highest ranked player in the league with a 5.4 and it isn't close. Ryan Davis and Ben Shungu from UVM are tied for second with a 3.4.
  • Champion is 68th with -1.3, Little is 66 with -1.2, Doles and Horton are 63/64 with -0.6, Newman is -0.4.
  • Neely (1.0), Hutch (1.0) are the other 2 UA players that are positive and 39/40
  •  Team is still playing REAL slowly, ranked 325 in tempo. I know the original plan was to run, but that hasn't happened yet
  • UA schedule so far is ranked as the 93rd hardest in division 1
  • This game was the only game UA has played above average D1 this season.
  • This was our second best defensive performance after Columbia
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Eli said:

An asterisk? As in not legitimate?

giphy.gif

Another jumping the shark remark from Eli....may I suggest you stop drinking the Tampa water....you just alot off these days

I just want to carryover my earlier thoughts: When you shoot 3 pointers better then you had in the previous nine games and had more than BC .... turnovers Albany 7 - BC 13 .... then some lady luck at the end... sounds like a formula for win .... can we repleciate this game ... perhaps ... however Vermont and Stony Brook have taken note .... so we have beaten a PAC12 team and an ACC team, in what 21 years of D1 balll... most mid major teams cannot say that....just a reminder...not the biggest upset within D1 perhaps Navy beating Virginia in the first game of the season by 10....Navy has had a good OOC record however unable to repleciate an upset...  yes...A Great Win!!! .... fingers crossed for Saturday...just a historic note...I may be one of a few people who comes to this forum that was in the Carrier Dome for Syracuse's 2nd round loss to Navy back in Navy's Robinson era....

Edited by cwdickens

36 minutes ago, cwdickens said:

Stats are great.... however Dwayne Killings expression dancing into the locker is memorable visit the UAlbanysports Instagram account for the play back

I saw it on twitter - definitely was memorable and a great moment. Hopefully it is a great event for the team to build on, continue to grow, and spring them into a streak. 

Doesn't mean we don't look at the stats and look at what needs to improve. While the goal for this year is growth and improvement, and the final record doesn't really matter - we still have the goal of winning the conference and dancing. To do that we need to know what needs to be improved and then find ways to improve those things. 

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, godanesgo99 said:

I saw it on twitter - definitely was memorable and a great moment. Hopefully it is a great event for the team to build on, continue to grow, and spring them into a streak. 

Doesn't mean we don't look at the stats and look at what needs to improve. While the goal for this year is growth and improvement, and the final record doesn't really matter - we still have the goal of winning the conference and dancing. To do that we need to know what needs to be improved and then find ways to improve those things. 

Analytics is a MAJOR aspect of sports these days which is why many programs and obviously pro clubs are investing heavily in entire TEAMS of analysts. Stats tell a HUGE part of the story.

If anyone is interested in commentary from the BC view on what UAlbany did right...what BC failed to do....a comment that the new BC is not living up expectations go to: https://www.bcinterruption.com/2021/12/13/22833398/mens-basketball-boston-college-stunned-by-albany-61-57  .... thought insightful...

Edited by cwdickens
correction