UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

Game #22: 2/2/22 - 7:00PM vs UMBC

Eli

On 2/2/2022 at 12:37 PM, dslyank said:

ps.  if you read "the league said" you notice brook crying about the decision, even though they voted for the policy when it was initiated and voted for leaving BU out when it moved to the Patriot . How hypocritical is that?🥲

maac & lcc claim they are taking the "high road" by letting Monmoth compete for championships. Of course with a ONE MILLION DOLLAR exit fee they can afford to be "magnanimous."

Pretty sure the AmEast exit fee is minimal at best, if there is even one at all? [anyone know for sure??]

I don't have any inside information; but why do you infer UA voted to let brook play??? AND except for people on this blog, I never read anywhere that UA wants out of the AMEast. In fact IMHO, the University and its athletic department has never shown any inclination to leave the AmEast. Just because people on this blog and they ALL have a right to their opinions and desires, does NOT speak for the University and its plans. On the contrary, it seems more often than not UA Athletics pays little or NO attention to what is posted here.

10 minutes ago, dslyank said:

On the contrary, it seems more often than not UA Athletics pays little or NO attention to what is posted here.

They do. But not as much as they should. I even once got a phone call asking me to effectively edit my post about something or other (might have been the new logo). However, it doesn't seem that anyone here (the "diehards") are part of their focus groups so really, they make decisions without our input and I think THAT is where they need to improve. We should be the first people they get an opinion from, followed by the casual fan, since we are the ones who are dumping money left and right into the program(s).

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dslyank said:

I don't have any inside information; but why do you infer UA voted to let brook play??? AND except for people on this blog, I never read anywhere that UA wants out of the AMEast. In fact IMHO, the University and its athletic department has never shown any inclination to leave the AmEast. Just because people on this blog and they ALL have a right to their opinions and desires, does NOT speak for the University and its plans. On the contrary, it seems more often than not UA Athletics pays little or NO attention to what is posted here.

Just assuming, but what other team would be trying to get in besides Albany? UMBC maybe because of location. Either way the puzzle pieces fit. Benson and Albany released an unnecessary statement the day the move to the CAA was announced by Stony Brook. There was ZERO reason for Albany to do so.

If either SBU or Albany thought the policy about keeping teams who were leaving the conference out of the AE Championships, they've had 10 years to work to change the rule. They didn't do that.  Likely because they know Vermont, Maine, UNH and Bing are unlikely to leave the conference and wouldn't change the rule anyway.

I don't think any of us posting under handles on a message board should be heard any louder to the administration. 

The administration does seem to have some understanding of fan angst. Annoucing the Gattuso extension on Dec. 23rd was pretty much evidence they knew it was going to be unpopular and did it during a quiet media time when it could fly under the radar.

I thought the announcement of the restarting the Albany-Siena game during the middle of the season was also weird. Those announcements have almost always happened during the off-season when the rest of the scheduling is done. Kinda felt like that was throwing a bone to the fans. Like the administration was saying "We know you're pissed about us extending the football coach with the losing record. So here's the rivalry game you wanted back."

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, dslyank said:

You'd be wrong on both accounts.  And I will leave it at that as to not reveal my own sources. 

Let's just say that Albany not leaving isn't because there isn't a want to leave. 

38 minutes ago, Dane Pound said:

If either SBU or Albany thought the policy about keeping teams who were leaving the conference out of the AE Championships, they've had 10 years to work to change the rule. They didn't do that.  Likely because they know Vermont, Maine, UNH and Bing are unlikely to leave the conference and wouldn't change the rule anyway.

I don't think any of us posting under handles on a message board should be heard any louder to the administration. 

The administration does seem to have some understanding of fan angst. Annoucing the Gattuso extension on Dec. 23rd was pretty much evidence they knew it was going to be unpopular and did it during a quiet media time when it could fly under the radar.

I thought the announcement of the restarting the Albany-Siena game during the middle of the season was also weird. Those announcements have almost always happened during the off-season when the rest of the scheduling is done. Kinda felt like that was throwing a bone to the fans. Like the administration was saying "We know you're pissed about us extending the football coach with the losing record. So here's the rivalry game you wanted back."

100% agree on the administration and they most certainly read tis board.  I've discussed it with former coaches/adept staff members and I have even discussed it with those in the ticket office.

UNH, Albany, and Maine are all at risk to leave the AE.  UNH is the crown ask of the CAA (along with Howard) but have rejected in years past.  Maine is spending money that will put them at the top of most leagues on the Eastern Seaboard, for athletics.  Depending on what happens with realignment, and due to football, all three could leave if presented the right opportunity.  Imagine the CAA North breaks off (I am almost certain that league will split, and people who are part of that league feel the same)....the three football schools get an invite and all of a sudden you have an all sports league of Maine, UNH, Albany, SBU, Hofstra, Drexel, Northeastern (if it is not poached by the PL), Delaware, and Towson as a starting point...with spots for three more schools.  Howard, if it were in the league would likely go as well.  That's a monster all sport league at this level.  

Or imagine that the PL wakes up from its slumber, and changes its AI / Scholarship policy and goes after the ONLY crown jewel left in the CAA: William and Mary, a long-time target.  You add Northeastern in the North...Richmond and Villanova come over as football affiliates...and the PL Is a MONSTER East Coast league...arguably stronger than the Ivy League. 

A lot of things will change and as much as I question some of Benson's moves...I think this one he has under control and is careful with his words for good reason.  Albany is most certainly evaluating the market and once our facilities are up to par (specifically SEFCU and the bubble), a move could be more likely than many think.  

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

21 hours ago, Dane96 said:

You'd be wrong on both accounts.  And I will leave it at that as to not reveal my own sources. 

Let's just say that Albany not leaving isn't because there isn't a want to leave. 

First of all how can I be wrong? I just asked a question: " but why do you infer UA voted to let brook play???"  Secondly, I do not have the "SOURCES" you have; but have never read or heard in any news publication or media outlet of any interest in UA leaving the AmEast. I am in no way doubting your sources, just making a 100% honest claim that I personally {though well read and very interested in all thing UA} have never heard, read or seen any statement or rumor to the effect UA was looking to exit the AmEast. I might be ignorant of the workings and plans of UA and its athletic department; but how is asking a question for clarification "wrong" and making a claim that I am unaware of UA plans "wrong", especially since never has there ever been a single communication by a single official of UA that would indicate UA has/had an interest in changing conferences.

Lastly, I repeat, I DO NOT doubt your sources and I do understand why UA might be num on conferences plans etc. But no way am I "wrong" that UA, especially under the current athletic administration does an absolutely horrible job of communication with their fan base and the community in general. IMHO this is no way to build/run a program.

7 minutes ago, dslyank said:

ps. If Albany wants to leave wouldn't it be a good idea to let the people who support the team financially and otherwise KNOW. Perhaps they might lend support to the effort, if they KNEW; and were made aware of the advantages/necessities of such a move. JUST ASKING A QUESTION!!🤫 

Edited by dslyank

11 minutes ago, dslyank said:

ps. If Albany wants to leave wouldn't it be a good idea to let the people who support the team financially and otherwise KNOW. Perhaps they might lend support to the effort, if they KNEW; and were made aware of the advantages/necessities of such a move. JUST ASKING A QUESTION!!🤫 

I would be very sure that any MAJOR donors are being drummed up.  Otherwise, it would not be prudent for Benson and his staff to let this cat out of the bag; not the way business is done in college athletics (or elsewhere for that matter) when dealing with a major move that is academically, politically, and financially sensitive.  I have ZERO issues with them keeping this quiet if it is indeed a possibility or they are working on upgrading the program to move.