UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

MLAX - Game 12 Conference Game 6 Apr 23 (Sun) 12:00 PM Albany, N.Y. Bob Ford Field at Tom & Mary Casey Stadium

COLLEGE LACROSSE

Siena, UAlbany must win to get in

Men’s teams qualify for playoffs with league victories this weekend

By Mark Singelais

image.ashx?kind=block&href=HATU%2F2023%2F04%2F21&id=Pc0121200&ext=.jpg&ts=20230421053706
Provided by Siena Athletics

Siena fifth-year goalkeeper Chris Yanchoris will lead the Saints against MAAC leader Mount St. Mary's at 1 p.m. Saturday at Hickey Field.

The Siena and University at Albany men’s lacrosse programs face a similar situation this weekend. Win and they’re in their respective conference tournaments.

There is one big difference: The Great Danes are playing a top-20 nonleague opponent first.

UAlbany (4-6 overall, 3-2 America East) takes on 17th-ranked Yale (6-4) in a 7 p.m. Friday match at Casey Stadium. Then the Great Danes host America East newcomer Merrimack (6-5, 2-3) at noon Sunday.

“Obviously, Sunday’s game is the more important of the two,” UAlbany head coach Scott Marr said. “But we talked about today with the team, we really have to start thinking that we’re in the playoffs now, that we’re in playoff mode. We have to have that desperation to play.”

UAlbany is in fourth place, a game ahead of UMBC and Merrimack. A win over Merrimack would put the Great Danes into the four-team America East Tournament.

Siena (6-6 overall, 4-4 Metro Atlantic Athletic Conference) has just one match this weekend, but it’s a significant one. The Saints take on first-place Mount St. Mary’s at 1 p.m. Saturday in the regular-season finale at Hickey Field.

The Saints will qualify for the six-team MAAC Tournament with a victory over the Mountaineers (8-6, 7-1). Siena, in a four-way tie for fourth, can still get in with a loss and some help. But fifth-year goalie Chris Yanchoris isn’t approaching Saturday that way.

“I definitely don’t want this Saturday to be my last weekend of collegiate lacrosse, so it’s definitely do-or-die,” Yanchoris said. “I think everybody’s aware of it. We’ve been practicing really well over the past week, so I think we’re really prepared (for) Saturday.”

Both Siena and UAlbany are coming off a victory. The Saints easily handled Manhattan 10-6 in River-dale last Saturday, knocking the Jaspers out of a tie for first place. On the same day, UAlbany cruised to a 13-7 triumph over America East cellar-dwellar NJIT.

“We’ve been playing very fast and getting a lot of transition and I think at times (in losses) against Quinnipiac and Marist, it maybe hurt us a little bit,” Siena head coach Liam Gleason said. “So our focus was taking advantage of transition when it’s given to us, but also finding the time to get some good offensive possessions… That’s something we want to continue to harp on going forward against Mount St. Mary’s. They’re a team that wants to play fast.”

Marr pointed out Merrimack wasn’t added as an America East associate member until last July after the Northeast Conference stopped sponsoring men’s lacrosse. With Yale already on UAlbany’s schedule, that caused this weekend’s scenario of two games in three days.

“I think it’s awesome,” UAlbany senior attack Jack Pucci said. “I think it’s really prepping us for potentially the America East playoffs.”

UAlbany and Merrimack have never met in men’s lacrosse. Siena and Mount St. Mary’s haven’t played since the Mountaineers beat the Saints 7-6 in the 2010 MAAC title game. Mount St. Mary’s was a MAAC member in men’s lacrosse then. The Mountaineers have returned to the MAAC as a full member from the NEC this year.

In women’s lacrosse, the Great Danes (8-6, 4-0) play at noon Saturday against New Hampshire at John Fallon Field. With a victory, the Great Danes will clinch the No. 1 seed and host the America East Tournament.

UAlbany men’s lacrosse at Casey Stadium, Albany

■› Friday: vs. Yale, 7 p.m.

■› Sunday: vs. Merrimack, noon

Siena men’s lacrosse at Hickey Field, Loudonville

■› Saturday: vs. Mount St. Mary’s, 1 p.m.

UAlbany women’s lacrosse at John Fallon Field

■› Saturday: vs. New Hampshire, noon ▶› msingelais@- timesunion.com A 518-454-5509 A @MarkSingelais

• cwdickens changed the title to MLAX - Game 12 Conference Game 6 Apr 23 (Sun) 12:00 PM Albany, N.Y. Bob Ford Field at Tom & Mary Casey Stadium

A Great Dane win 13-11 with a brawl as the game came to an end.  From my view, completely caused by an unnecessary slashing event by a Merrimack player.  Not only did it take the referrers and coaches, but it also took additional staff including Mark Benson, Vic Cegles and at least one University Police Officer to separate the players and coaches.  Both head coaches exchange angry words from a distance and traditional post-game handshakes did not occur.  Merrimack gather at one end of the field for an extended post-game discussion before vacating the field with the assistance of University Police.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, cwdickens said:

A Great Dane win 13-11 with a brawl as the game came to an end.  From my view, completely caused by an unnecessary slashing event by a Merrimack player.  Not only did it take the referrers and coaches, but it also took additional staff including Mark Benson, Vic Cegles and at least one University Police Officer to separate the players and coaches.  Both head coaches exchange angry words from a distance and traditional post-game handshakes did not occur.  Merrimack gather at one end of the field for an extended post-game discussion before vacating the field with the assistance of University Police.

That was quite the brawl. Haven't seen Scott that fired up in a long time. Agree it was that late slash by Merrimack.

• Like 1

The game the brawl not withstanding was very entertaining. Merrimack was very physical and based not only on the games end, was very scrappy, one may even say "dirty." But UA never backed down. I would say in some games UA did seem soft at times, but NOT at all yesterday. And except for the 5-0 Merrimack run that almost wiped out UA's 9-3 lead, UA [except for too many TO's {maybe weather related}], played well in all aspects. Shot well and D kept mack at bay all game. I will say that the 5-0 run did catch UA off guard as mack basically went into a nothing to lose gambling end of the game type of play. Once UA caught on they weathered the attack nicely.

Of note, Pucci did not play at all and Hogg sat the whole second half. Pretty sure Pucci only limited time vs yale, as well as Hogg. Like "State", I'm wondering if serious or just pre-cautionary?? 

UA did have two goals called back because of crease violations. On the replays, both most definitely ball released before the violation. The first incident the scorer was pushed into the crease and by new rule goal should have counted. And I thought the new dive rule also allows a goal if shot before the violation?? Anyhow, absolutely the first one should have counted. Anyone know the exact rules; would appreciate.

Also, wondering if anyone knows when/if the Northeast Conference Lax hiatus ends. Bryant I know is all-in AmEast, but Merrimack like several other NEast teams have become "temporary" affiliates elsewhere??

Edited by dslyank

Another question fro anyone in the know:  Being that yesterday was senior day, do any of them have a covid year available? Particularly interested in Piseno? I thought last year was the last year of covid extensions? I know Gash has definitely used all eligibility, but someone said Piseno could return??

Anyone, know for sure if last year was the last year for extensions??

14 hours ago, dslyank said:

The game the brawl not withstanding was very entertaining. Merrimack was very physical and based not only on the games end, was very scrappy, one may even say "dirty." But UA never backed down. I would say in some games UA did seem soft at times, but NOT at all yesterday. And except for the 5-0 Merrimack run that almost wiped out UA's 9-3 lead, UA [except for too many TO's {maybe weather related}], played well in all aspects. Shot well and D kept mack at bay all game. I will say that the 5-0 run did catch UA off guard as mack basically went into a nothing to lose gambling end of the game type of play. Once UA caught on they weathered the attack nicely.

Of note, Pucci did not play at all and Hogg sat the whole second half. Pretty sure Pucci only limited time vs yale, as well as Hogg. Like "State", I'm wondering if serious or just pre-cautionary?? 

UA did have two goals called back because of crease violations. On the replays, both most definitely ball released before the violation. The first incident the scorer was pushed into the crease and by new rule goal should have counted. And I thought the new dive rule also allows a goal if shot before the violation?? Anyhow, absolutely the first one should have counted. Anyone know the exact rules; would appreciate.

Also, wondering if anyone knows when/if the Northeast Conference Lax hiatus ends. Bryant I know is all-in AmEast, but Merrimack like several other NEast teams have become "temporary" affiliates elsewhere??

Plus Starting LSD close D,  Runkle got injured on a cheap shot and missed part of the second and the entire 2nd half.   I have never seen anything like what happened after the game.  Their coach came after Marr, Officials separated them and he kept coming so Marr responded and the yelled at each other for a while.  The Benson and other coaches came out to force them apart.  Their players had two outright on purpose fowls at the end of the game- the first one a 1 minute non-releaseable slash with 27 second left, the second one the last one for unecessary roughness with NO time left on the clock - that is when our team ran out on the field.   Wonder if their coach will be suspended by the league?

Never seen such conduct at one of our games.  I guess they are a new rival.  Gonna be tough on their field next year.................

By the way - totally agree on the two called off goals.  Both obviously wrong calls by the officials. 

Edited by HOF2013
  • Like 1

By the way, as he always does Marr played seniors quite a lot.  Maxwell, # 37 has not played hardly at all his entire time at U A,  Played most of the 3rd at LS close D.  Hurt us a couple of times [they scored twice on hm during the 5 goal run] but Kudos for coach for doing that.  

Edited by HOF2013

1 hour ago, HOF2013 said:

Plus Starting LSD close D,  Runkle got injured on a cheap shot and missed part of the second and the entire 2nd half.

Runkle's family was in front of me. The hit looked like he was just trying to push him out of bounds, his knee twisted but they said it didn't look serious. I think they said it could've been worse but his shoe blew apart, took the strain off the knee.

5 hours ago, dslyank said:

Another question fro anyone in the know:  Being that yesterday was senior day, do any of them have a covid year available? Particularly interested in Piseno? I thought last year was the last year of covid extensions? I know Gash has definitely used all eligibility, but someone said Piseno could return??

Anyone, know for sure if last year was the last year for extensions??

They are able to & A lot of the seniors want to come back all depends on $ you still only have x amount of spots just b/c you use the covid year doesn’t mean you get your scholarship. Especially hard for Graydon who is from Canada so it would cost him a lot more .

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Laxdawg20 said:

They are able to & A lot of the seniors want to come back all depends on $ you still only have x amount of spots just b/c you use the covid year doesn’t mean you get your scholarship. Especially hard for Graydon who is from Canada so it would cost him a lot more .

Thanks for the update. I think Graydon has not had the type of year he or anyone expected. I personally would welcome him back and hope he gets a scholarship. After last summer on the Canadian National team, everyone at UA expected great things from him this year. I bet/guess he’d like another chance to prove himself?? 

As for Piseno, IMHO has had an awesome year and career and IMHO UA should do all possible to get him back.

5 hours ago, dslyank said:

Thanks for the update. I think Graydon has not had the type of year he or anyone expected. I personally would welcome him back and hope he gets a scholarship. After last summer on the Canadian National team, everyone at UA expected great things from him this year. I bet/guess he’d like another chance to prove himself?? 

As for Piseno, IMHO has had an awesome year and career and IMHO UA should do all possible to get him back.

Agree on all counts

10 hours ago, UAalum72 said:

Runkle's family was in front of me. The hit looked like he was just trying to push him out of bounds, his knee twisted but they said it didn't look serious. I think they said it could've been worse but his shoe blew apart, took the strain off the knee.

Two guys hit him one high and one low.  Looked like a cheap shot to me but I was watching from the second deck and may not have had the best view.