UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

Football - Game 1 Saturday, August 26, 2023, 7:00 PM Bob Ford Field at Tom & Mary Casey Stadium

On 8/28/2023 at 12:47 PM, UAalum72 said:

And can we get a stadium announcer who doesn't say it's a UALBANY THIRD DOWN when the other has the ball? At least the third year he's been doing this.

Somebody on this blog must know someone who can relate this ERROR to the game announcer??  Like 72 says when the opposition has a 3rd down; IT IS NOT a "UA on/with third down."

I keep thinking if the UA defense on the field hears this and wonders, What the F$%^?

Edited by dslyank
  • Like 1

On 8/27/2023 at 10:02 AM, BestDaneSinceHamlet said:

Here's what I noticed:

1) With the exception of some snaps and false starts (assume jitters?) the team actually looked really well coached. 

2) The secondary helped the D-Line dominate.  9 sacks ain't no joke and while I know little about Fordham, I know this has traditionally been a very pass happy team which means they build from the O-line out.

3) This isn't Juwan and everyone else.  There are 3-4 good receivers on this team.

4) Poff is legit.  For a guy with his mobility, he actually rarely throws the ball poorly or up for grabs post-scramble  His arm looks significantly stronger than last year and his accuracy so the WR could YAC was really impresssive.  The one bad throw I saw, that the LB dropped for a pick-6 looked like the TE slowed his route and Poff was still trying to lead him.  

5) No clue if Fordham is good this year but they were picked to finish 2nd in the Patriot and made the playofs last year scoring no less than 40 points a game.  

Mahalo,

D

The QB's throw into a 3' X 3" 'net' that is on a stand about 6' high - from 15 yrds out to 50 or so yards.   It is pretty amazing how accurate most of them are after doing that for the entire pre-season.

On 8/28/2023 at 12:47 PM, UAalum72 said:

I was wondering if they changed the way they were calling PI. I suppose some of them might've been holding if the ball wasn't in the air yet.

Any comments on the Flo broadcast? Fordham fans complaining about poor production, homer announcers, etc.

And can we get a stadium announcer who doesn't say it's a UALBANY THIRD DOWN when the other has the ball? At least the third year he's been doing this.

Kinda like that - it's a motivational thing I'd guess.  Gets the crowd noise going.

20 minutes ago, HOF2013 said:

Kinda like that - it's a motivational thing I'd guess.  Gets the crowd noise going.

This isn't the old guy saying "Third down and Great Danes on the defense", this is "Great Danes third down" when Fordham has the ball. Nobody talks football that way.

Edited by UAalum72
  • Like 2

I have no inside look at the production, and don't have a leg to stand on, but I can say that I have run the scoreboard and audio system at a baseball field. I used an app on my android phone and tablet to record a ton of comments, player introductions mixed with their chosen songs for walk-up music, common things that would be said on the PA during the game, sound effects like broken glass for a foul ball, all the things you would expect from a high end stadium. Then it wouldn't matter if I was running the booth or if someone else was, the user just had to push the right button at the right moment.

I recently thought about using one of those AI generators to redo some of my audio clips with Bob Sheppard's voice so that the kids would get the Yankee Stadium treatment LOL. I know some apps let you pay for MLB or NFL stadium announcers to record your intros.

It would surprise me if they didn't use something similar - hopefully way upgraded - at the games. Consistent sounds, tones, inflections, etc. They probably were just hitting the wrong button, or they need to rerecord the third down vocals.  

22 hours ago, UAalum72 said:

This isn't the old guy saying "Third down and Great Danes on the defense", this is "Great Danes third down" when Fordham has the ball. Nobody talks football that way.

Still like it...

6 hours ago, alum73 said:

By the way, did anyone have any thoughts on the cashless concessions?

The small concession stand in the Gold section seemed to be much slower and the Line was longer by far. Not sure if it was due to crowd size or inefficiency. 

I just avoid the concessions. 

• 3 weeks later...

When I saw this article, I was reminded that Ethan Gilson was in the stands with his dad for this game.  Was he scouting out UAlbany or just watching a game?

H.S. BOYS’ ATHLETE OF THE WEEK

Gilson, Nisky ascending

By James Allen

READERS’ PICK

Caleb Eastman, Colonie football: The senior quarterback connected on 23 of 34 passes for 251 yards and four touchdowns in a 50-43 win against Guilderland.

image.ashx?kind=block&href=HATU%2F2023%2F09%2F21&id=Pc0180400&ext=.jpg&ts=20230921060913
Jim Franco/Times Union archive

Niskayuna QB Ethan Gilson, shown last season, is coming off a big game against Averill Park.

Cam Grasso lights up and speaks with reverence when the subject of Ethan Gilson comes up. Grasso, the talented sophomore wide receiver for the Niskayuna football team, believes Gilson is as good of a quarterback as Section II has. In a rematch of the 2022 Class A Super Bowl on Sept. 14, Gilson put together a tremendous display of throwing prowess and understanding of how to break down a defense.

Gilson’s first toss of the game was a spectacular connection down the right sideline that helped his team reach the end zone on its opening possession. Niskayuna put together six touchdown drives in producing a resounding 41-7 victory over Averill Park. Gilson, a junior who is in his second season as a starter, was nearly perfect on the evening, finishing 14-for-15 passing for 258 yards and three touchdowns.

Gilson’s lone miss was on a ball that slipped out of his hand. He thinks his first season starting, a campaign that resulted in the program’s first sectional title with a win against Averill Park, accelerated his learning curve.

“I think me being able to identify coverages, go through progressions and make reads has all developed to a level I didn’t know I could get to,” Gilson said. “I have gotten smarter and physically gotten stronger and that has helped me develop into a better quarterback.”

For his efforts, Gilson has been selected as the Times Union’s Boys’ Athlete of the Week for Sept. 11-17.

The Gilson-to-Grasso combination is one of the area’s most prolific. Grasso finished with six receptions for 154 yards and two touchdowns. The junior quarterback spread the ball around to both tight ends in Dan Miller and Garrett Gillooley, plus worked to running backs Chase Nappi and Isaiah Linyear.

“Cam can take over a game anytime he wants to and it makes the defense want to take him away, so it is nice to have other options,” Gilson said. “I know they will be able to make the plays.”

Niskayuna (2-1 overall, 0-0 Grasso Division), ranked No. 8 in the state, opens its division schedule Friday against No. 23 Burnt Hills-Ballston Lake.

“We know they are a great team, but there is a lot of belief in us and our team this year,” Gilson said. “We are not going to be surprised by anything when we go out there and compete.”