UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

Football - Game 1 Saturday, August 26, 2023, 7:00 PM Bob Ford Field at Tom & Mary Casey Stadium

Excellent result. Announced crowd 8500. Way too many low snaps. O line started slowly run blocking.  They improved as the game went on. Too many false starts. Punter was impressive. WRs got open a lot. D back play was much improved.  I think we had 9 sacks, which was great. Kick return game was good. Kick coverage was ok, but could be improved. 

Team seems much improved in my eyes.

• Like 1

Started slow.  Never saw ANY of the procedure penalties during practice.  I think lots of pressure to do well maybe.   Don't personally like the secondary coverages but they came through when needed.   Finally changed the kickoff kicker and put in Hogan [Glens Falls] transfered from Utah. Kid can kick. Kicking game looked good.

OLine has to block better for the run - looked better after 1st 1/4

Much improved.  The next two weeks wil help show if we can play up.......  

8 or 9 sacks, Simon and Jucaj each had three. I think Kelly had 2 or 3 as well

399 yds offense

Poff had 253 passing anf 4 TD's

Here's what I noticed:

1) With the exception of some snaps and false starts (assume jitters?) the team actually looked really well coached. 

2) The secondary helped the D-Line dominate.  9 sacks ain't no joke and while I know little about Fordham, I know this has traditionally been a very pass happy team which means they build from the O-line out.

3) This isn't Juwan and everyone else.  There are 3-4 good receivers on this team.

4) Poff is legit.  For a guy with his mobility, he actually rarely throws the ball poorly or up for grabs post-scramble  His arm looks significantly stronger than last year and his accuracy so the WR could YAC was really impresssive.  The one bad throw I saw, that the LB dropped for a pick-6 looked like the TE slowed his route and Poff was still trying to lead him.  

5) No clue if Fordham is good this year but they were picked to finish 2nd in the Patriot and made the playofs last year scoring no less than 40 points a game.  

Mahalo,

D

• Like 1

Without looking at the stats, it seemed like the run defense didn't put up much resistance at the start; stiffened later, or - Fordham started throwing more because they were behind, which is also why we got so many sacks.

Injury to Aden or no, looked like Larkins wanted to take over the starting RB spot.

We were already ahead, but when the FU linebacker dropped the pick-six chance it looked like we had it wrapped up.

The game felt a lot longer that the 3:22 it actually took. Sixteen penalties, numerous replays, half a dozen injury stoppages.

8500 but many of the gold seats were empty. Can they give away t-shirts to students at every game?

The band was up to 55 players, almost double the last few years. Not sure they were all playing together, though.

• Thanks 1

On 8/27/2023 at 12:20 AM, HOF2013 said:

Don't personally like the secondary coverages but they came through when needed.

Both secondaries seemed to get away with several pass interference no calls or waive offs?  Anyone Know, Have they changed the rules and allowing more contact?? At one point a UA player got beat, never looked back and gave a push to the Fordham player; no call? Saw similar no calls against Fordham. Was at the game, but wondering if anyone on steam noticed these and if the announcers had any commentary?? Really seemed from Gold seat view at least 2-3 pass interference calls against Fordham not made and at least one, perhaps 2 UA got away with??

ps IMHO college football needs to change 15 yd interference call to something MORE significant!  One of these days some receiver is going to be killed or seriously injured:  beat badly & going for a TD, the beat defender might as well Blast the receiver and take the 15yd penalty rather than a long gain or TD.

• Like 1

I was wondering if they changed the way they were calling PI. I suppose some of them might've been holding if the ball wasn't in the air yet.

Any comments on the Flo broadcast? Fordham fans complaining about poor production, homer announcers, etc.

And can we get a stadium announcer who doesn't say it's a UALBANY THIRD DOWN when the other has the ball? At least the third year he's been doing this.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, jimbo said:

Not sure why, but the entire game is on YouTube. FloFootball channel.  Easier to find if you just search Albany Fordham Football. Starts off on another game and then switches over. 

It was glitchy until about the middle of the 1st quarter.

4 hours ago, dslyank said:

Both secondaries seemed to get away with several pass interference no calls or waive offs?  Anyone Know, Have they changed the rules and allowing more contact?? At one point a UA player got beat, never looked back and gave a push to the Fordham player; no call? Saw similar no calls against Fordham. Was at the game, but wondering if anyone on steam noticed these and if the announcers had any commentary?? Really seemed from Gold seat view at least 2-3 pass interference calls against Fordham not made and at least one, perhaps 2 UA got away with??

ps IMHO college football needs to change 15 yd interference call to something MORE significant!  One of these days some receiver is going to be killed or seriously injured:  beat badly & going for a TD, the beat defender might as well Blast the receiver and take the 15yd penalty rather than a long gain or TD.

I think the pros should adopt the college rule

1 hour ago, UAalum72 said:

I was wondering if they changed the way they were calling PI. I suppose some of them might've been holding if the ball wasn't in the air yet.

Any comments on the Flo broadcast? Fordham fans complaining about poor production, homer announcers, etc.

And can we get a stadium announcer who doesn't say it's a UALBANY THIRD DOWN when the other has the ball? At least the third year he's been doing this.

I can't stand the job our announcer does. Every gain or loss is "about" a yardage.  Agree on the 3rd down call. It's hideous. 

• Like 1