UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

Game 2 - Saturday, September 2, 2023, 6:00 PM Joan C Edwards Stadium, Huntington, WV

I believe this is the first time any UAlbany has visited Huntington, WV and this program along the shores of the Ohio River.  This is Marshall's first game of the season.

Sep 2 (Sat) 6:00 PM

at 
Huntington, WV

Weather forecast for the game, Saturday: Sunny, with a high near 88.

Saturday Night: Mostly clear, with a low around 63.

Not much data for the computers yet, but:

Sagarin favors Marshall (#70) over Albany (#174) by 29 points

Massey Ratings predict Marshall (#79) over Albany (#177) by 30, gives us 2% chance of winning

Didn't see any betting lines on Draftkings or a few other sites

Game is on ESPN+

I know the chances of a win are extremely small, but I'd love to see it kept close and a game. Local rag covering Marshall calling it a glorified scrimmage for their team is good locker room fodder....

https://www.register-herald.com/sports/besides-winning-staying-healthy-is-herds-objective-in-week-1/article_4ff3aa72-46af-11ee-9350-47038d6eba1e.html

Edited by godanesgo99
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, godanesgo99 said:

I know the chances of a win are extremely small, but I'd love to see it kept close and a game. Local rag covering Marshall calling it a glorified scrimmage for their team is good locker room fodder....

https://www.register-herald.com/sports/besides-winning-staying-healthy-is-herds-objective-in-week-1/article_4ff3aa72-46af-11ee-9350-47038d6eba1e.html

I hope the players enter the game with with the same attitude.......................................

UALBANY FOOTBALL

Burti gives Danes lowdown

By Mark Singelais

image.ashx?kind=block&href=HATU%2F2023%2F08%2F31&id=Pc0200400&ext=.jpg&ts=20230831064945
Courtesy of UAlbanyAthletic Communications

UAlbany sophomore wide receiver Caden Burti said he can't wait to return on Saturday to Marshall University, where he spent last season.

ALBANY — University at Albany sophomore wide receiver Caden Burti has some inside information about Marshall University that might surprise you.

It has nothing to do with the Thundering Herd football program, where Burti played last season.

“Best Italian food I’ve ever had in my life,” said Burti, who grew up in Marlton, N.J.

Italian food? In Huntington, W. Va.?

“Promise. Really good,” Burti said. He raved about a restaurant called La Famiglia, about a mile from Marshall’s football stadium.

The UAlbany assistant coaches and teammates have picked Burti’s brain about Marshall, but not the culinary choices. They’d like to know more about the Thundering Herd, whom the Great Danes face at 6 p.m. Saturday at Joan C. Edwards Stadium in Huntington.

“I don’t mind,” Burti said. “I’m part of Albany now, so this is my team and I’ll help any way I could.”

Burti transferred into UAlbany this season. He made one catch in last Saturday’s season-opening win over Fordham at Casey Stadium.

He said offensive coordinator Jared Ambrose and wide receivers coach and passing-game coordinator Will Fiacchi, among others, have asked questions about Marshall’s personnel and the tendencies of their defensive backs.

“I was there for a year and a half, so I know all the guys pretty well,” Burti said. “All stuff that’ll help us out in the long run to get this win, for sure.”

Asked about the challenges Marshall presents, Burti pointed to a defense that ranked in the top 10 in the Football Bowl Subdivision last season.

Marshall hasn’t been very helpful supplying information, according to UAlbany coach Greg Gattuso, who said the Thundering Herd won’t give him their depth chart.

“No, it’s not typical,” Gattuso said. “It doesn’t matter. I don’t care. I just think it’s kind of silly.”

While UAlbany’s depth chart is public knowledge because the Great Danes have played a game, this game is Marshall’s season opener under coach Charles Huff.

“It’s not a big deal,” Gattuso said. “We know they’re going to be good. It doesn’t matter who’s where. They’ve got a bunch of talent running around. I’m not sure why they wouldn’t give us a depth chart. It’s very rare.”

Gattuso said he didn’t plan on asking Burti for Marshall intelligence, except for local dining tips.

“We don’t want to put him in that situation,” Gattuso said. “He’s happy here. He’s part of it. I know some of the coaches have probably asked him some questions. I really haven’t. I asked him really where a good place to eat and stuff like that. Football’s a funny sport to me. It’s about being physical and tough. I don’t even mind practicing on (Marshall’s) field, if they want to watch, because you still have to stop it. I’m not really big into the secrets game and stuff like that.”

Burti played in two games without a reception last season for Marshall, a member of the Sun Belt Conference. He didn’t play in the Thundering Herd’s victory over UConn in the Myrtle Beach Bowl.

He entered the transfer portal in April after the spring game.

“Just wasn’t the right fit at the time,” Burti said. “Looked for other opportunities and Albany came up. Came on a visit, thought, ‘Sure, why not?’ It’s a great school. Love Coach Fiacchi. Love Coach Ambrose and get me a little closer to home.”

At the same time, he’s happy to return to Huntington. Joan C. Edwards Stadium seats 30,475 fans and drew 24,607 for last year’s opener against Norfolk State.

“They love football and they love Marshall,” Burti said. “It’ll be a good atmosphere for sure. First game of the year, they’re excited to get back out there.”

He has texted his old teammates.

“I can’t wait,” Burti said. “I’ve got too many friends on that team. It’s going to be a blast to get back there, for sure.”

Finally got the game 6 minutes left in the 1st...Not happy with ESPN right now.  Literally on hold for an hour and then over 3 hours {I was NOT happy] trying to figure out what was going on - all of a sudden it started working????

Edited by HOF2013