UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

Administrator

dslyank

Eli, do you know you are blocked from receiving personal email requests? If by your choice your prerogative of course.   But wanted to let you know. I am  pretty sure Dane Pound is no longer in charge. So far no one has come forward to confirm this

Edited by dslyank
  • Like 1

19 hours ago, Eli said:

As far as anyone knows, it's always been @Dane Pound. I've asked to take over or at least help out many times and have been rebuffed.

EDIT: However, evidently DP hasn't been on the forum since May 26th...

@Dane Poundis around, as his bi-weekly column continues to appear in the Times-Union. However, I cannot recall if I ever saw him at any athletic events during 2022-223.

4 hours ago, cwdickens said:

Has anyone heard from Dane Pound?

I messaged him earlier today but so far no response. Still last login in May 26. I thought you had contact with him outside of this forum? If so, may want to alert him that folks miss him :).

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Eli said:

I messaged him earlier today but so far no response. Still last login in May 26. I thought you had contact with him outside of this forum? If so, may want to alert him that folks miss him :).

Yes, I have had contact with Dane Pound outside the forum in the past on a regular basis at UAlbany MBB and occasionally other sport events; however, since the Pandemic, I may have had contact once or twice in almost two years ago.  

Edited by cwdickens
clarify

• 2 weeks later...

No need to send out a search party for me. I'm still around.

Yank, I did respond to your messages. Not sure why you didn't see them but I will check again. Hopefully you don't give us a lousy Yelp review.

You're right about not seeing me at UA events. I haven't been going as much lately and probably won't in the near future. It's not a statement about the administration or anything. Recent life events have made me reshuffle priorities. Sports are great, but they are the dessert in life, not the main course. I've had to skip dessert recently and likely will for a while. 

Eli, you are more than welcome to build another forum with a similar mission. I'll keep this one up until you do and then pull the plug when you're done.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Dane Pound said:

Yank, I did respond to your messages. Not sure why you didn't see them but I will check again. Hopefully you don't give us a lousy Yelp review.

You're right about not seeing me at UA events. I haven't been going as much lately and probably won't in the near future. It's not a statement about the administration or anything. Recent life events have made me reshuffle priorities. Sports are great, but they are the dessert in life, not the main course. I've had to skip dessert recently and likely will for a while. 

Eli, you are more than welcome to build another forum with a similar mission. I'll keep this one up until you do and then pull the plug when you're done.

Glad to see ya around! No need to build a new forum, this one is just fine...but just offering to be QB2 😜

Be well sir! 

• Like 1

On 10/8/2023 at 10:09 AM, Dane Pound said:

DP, I hope everything works out. I've spent a lot of good and probably not so good times in my younger (immature)  days here but always appreciated having a place to go. Thank you. 

Edited by Clickclack

• 2 months later...

Community, it seems this topic is once again on peoples minds and being posted about (on the women's rowing thread).

In the interest of full disclosure and with ALL due respect for Dane Pound, I have offered to take over (fiscally and/or administratively) numerous times. Most recently I sent a message on 11/30/23 that has gone unanswered (and unviewed).

Personally, I have a VERY strong background in technology and have no issues starting a new board. I could have one up and running in a couple of weeks. In fact, I did one five years ago in 2018 on my own server and @Clickclack and a few others saw a demo of it. It was built during a period of time where the board was going down nearly daily due to unknown reasons. However, those issues stabilized and I didn't let my forum see the light of day.

All that being said, out of respect for what DP has built here over the last 20 or so years, I DO NOT WANT a hostile take over or hostile replacement. There is a WEALTH of history on this forum that I would 100000% prefer to preserve; the place just needs a remodel. I truly hope that DP is happy and healthy and just enjoying his life and not caring about the small things, but as Click said in the other thread - we need to have a plan in the event this forum goes dark one day and doesn't come back up; it could happen tomorrow for all we know.

There are a couple of us here who have IT backgrounds who could definitely keep this great community going and 2-3 of us (at least) who can probably split the bill, however big it may be.

The alternative is that y'all start to learn how to use Reddit or Discord lol.

Here is a screenshot of what I built on my local server back in 2018:

INyK97r.png

• Like 3

12 hours ago, Eli said:

There are a couple of us here who have IT backgrounds who could definitely keep this great community going and 2-3 of us (at least) who can probably split the bill, however big it may be.

I have no ability to help IT wise; but I am more than willing to contribute towards the bill. Also, it certainly would be nice to keep this blog going and as you say keep its history alive. I have no idea what the cost of a new blog would be; but also it seems unfair for DP to be paying for this one especially since his interest have changed and he is skipping "sports dessert" these days. I'm not sure why he seems reluctant to simply turn over the administration & costs for this blog?  Perhaps starting a new blog may the only option??

• Thanks 1

I cannot speak for what DP is paying right now, but I have a plan (if I need to put it into place) and the price is around $65/mo to start for just the forum software. Hosting is another $300-350/yr. So you're looking at around $1,000/yr + lots of volunteer hours initially.

The forum mock up I built 5 years ago was built on phpBB (for those who care). I would move this one or a new one onto a system call XenForo which is much more modern and built for todays web technologies.

I also do not know the hesitation on DP's part, considering he confirmed that IF I started one - he'd shut this one down. But why? Lets just keep what we have and change ownership to keep it going another 20 years if he feels he's no longer interested in investing his time and money into it. 

Edited by Eli
  • Like 1