UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

MBB - Game 22/Conference Game 7 - @ Patrick Gym, Burlington, VT, Thursday, February 1, 2024, 7:00PM

Odd stuff.  I thought the language around Neely was a sign too.  As I recall it was something like "he's been cleared to play and will play when Justin and his family feel it's the right time".  Sure enough he's done for the season.   Now this.  "Wasn't feeling right about playing"?  He's been a different player most of the year.  Numbers are similar but he's lost a ton of aggressiveness both offensively and defensively.  It's really odd to watch a kid (yes, still a kid) go from over the top aggressiveness (recall the T's) to this.  Let's see where this goes but I'm not liking the language or the body language.  

Thomas and Marshall would both need to sit a year if they transferred unless they got a waiver. Edmead didn't get a waiver even though he was transferring back to his previous school, so unless they graduate this year, my guess is no transfer for them.

I'm not at all negative about this team, yet. While they definitely have their issues and areas that need improvement, they are still the most entertaining UA team to watch in a while. They've shown, when healthy, that they can play with anyone in the league. Barring a huge collapse and tumble, there is no reason they can't squeak into the 4/5 game in the AE playoffs (possibly at home even) and have a shot at dancing with a few good games in March. I mean they are just as likely to collapse and have to play in Burlington in the first round, but I doubt things could get that bad again.

Edited by godanesgo99

2 hours ago, godanesgo99 said:

Thomas and Marshall would both need to sit a year if they transferred unless they got a waiver. Edmead didn't get a waiver even though he was transferring back to his previous school, so unless they graduate this year, my guess is no transfer for them.

No, they would not. That rule went bye bye this year. 

2 hours ago, godanesgo99 said:

I'm not at all negative about this team, yet. While they definitely have their issues and areas that need improvement, they are still the most entertaining UA team to watch in a while. They've shown, when healthy, that they can play with anyone in the league. Barring a huge collapse and tumble, there is no reason they can't squeak into the 4/5 game in the AE playoffs (possibly at home even) and have a shot at dancing with a few good games in March. I mean they are just as likely to collapse and have to play in Burlington in the first round, but I doubt things could get that bad again.

When your star says that he doesn’t feel comfortable playing without notifying the staff before the game, that’s a problem.  When your star pg throws mini-fits and takes plays off in frustration, that’s a problem. 

The Neely thing I can’t judge. The injury could have been much worse than all led on to, he could just mentally not be there yet, or he wants to leave…I have no idea. 

Even with Neely there, the team lacks a shooter who can create for himself and another big that can provide defense, 7-8 / 5-6 a game, aka Travis Charles or Levi Levine type of guy. 

it’s a poorly constructed group of athletes…not Edwin ubiles or Bryant type of athletes…just athletes. 

16 minutes ago, Dane96 said:

When your star says that he doesn’t feel comfortable playing without notifying the staff before the game, that’s a problem.  When your star pg throws mini-fits and takes plays off in frustration, that’s a problem. 

The Neely thing I can’t judge. The injury could have been much worse than all led on to, he could just mentally not be there yet, or he wants to leave…I have no idea. 

Even with Neely there, the team lacks a shooter who can create for himself and another big that can provide defense, 7-8 / 5-6 a game, aka Travis Charles or Levi Levine type of guy. 

it’s a poorly constructed group of athletes…not Edwin ubiles or Bryant type of athletes…just athletes. 

Don't disagree with much of this... Just trying to stay positive and having hopes for the best.

20 minutes ago, Dane96 said:

No, they would not. That rule went bye bye this year. 

If they changed the rule, why is Edmead still sitting? I thought I read they were investigating changing it but hadn't yet. Haven't heard that lately, and frankly I'm too lazy to look now, but I thought this was just discussed a few weeks ago in the football transfer thread that the rule hadn't changed, unless football is different than basketball in that way.

8 hours ago, dslyank said:

From TU:  "Beagle played only eight minutes, all in the first half, and wasn’t even on the bench after halftime because he “wasn’t feeling right about playing,” according to Killings." 

What the HE!! does that mean??  Later went on to say we will talk about it.  

Is Beagle sick or just sick of playing??☹️🥴

7 hours ago, tnehurley said:

What a crock of you know what! Possibly he may be sick of playing…..against Vermont? My guess is he will no longer be “ill” and feel right about playing on Sat. at home vs. a 1-6 UMBC team. We will see. An interesting development though. Things getting a bit tense between player and coach? Or was he just too sick to play? Either way, this team certainly needs him on the floor.

My concerns about Jonathan Beagle started with the UMass-Lowell game.  I am not sure if he has an issue with Killings and/or one or more of the assistants and/or one or more of his team mates.  He just not seems to be himself.  I know Marcus Jackson tried speaking with him during the Bryant game on the sidelines and Jonathan would have nothing to do with the talk.  Whatever the issue, I strongly feel Marcus Jackson knows because these two are the closest of friends as I never see one without the other.

I hope Jonathan does not have a game fatigue.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, godanesgo99 said:

If they changed the rule, why is Edmead still sitting? I thought I read they were investigating changing it but hadn't yet. Haven't heard that lately, and frankly I'm too lazy to look now, but I thought this was just discussed a few weeks ago in the football transfer thread that the rule hadn't changed, unless football is different than basketball in that way.

The rule changed this year, in the fall...effective for next year.  It is why you are seeing college football coaches lose their $iena. Coaches want it repealed. And to be clear, it is a court ruling...it's why Reese Poffenbarger can play at Miami NEXT Year. 

Edited by Dane96

20 minutes ago, cwdickens said:

My concerns about Jonathan Beagle started with the UMass-Lowell game.  I am not sure if he has an issue with Killings and/or one or more of the assistants and/or one or more of his team mates.  He just not seems to be himself.  I know Marcus Jackson tried speaking with him during the Bryant game on the sidelines and Jonathan would have nothing to do with the talk.  Whatever the issue, I strongly feel Marcus Jackson knows because these two are the closest of friends as I never see one without the other.

I hope Jonathan does not have a game fatigue.  

It's been very noticeable, and a shame.  Beagle was quoted (and I am paraphrasing) as the team having way too much one-on-one basketball, and it needs to change.  Not a newsflash to many on this board...and he's right. That's what happens when you have limited tactical coaching chops; the team is playing AAU style basketball.  When Paul Westhead ran a run-n-gun type of offense, there actually was structure around the style.  Right now it is Sebstian Thomas dribbling like a madman because outside of Marshall, not a single guy on the permiter understands what to do with the ball when closed out or after they pick up the dribble. Sebastian is then trying to do too much.  The rest of the defense is literally keying on Beagle, making his life miserable.

Flat out, a player quitting on his team in the middle of a game, against a top rival is absolutely bonkers.  That said, I am going to give Beagle slack-- I think he's been playing VERY hurt for quite awhile, and the ankle got rolled pretty badly the game before Vermont.  That said, if that was the reason...and if Killings pushed him to play (something I don't mind at all, coaches do that all the time from high school, to AAU, to college, to the pros), and he said "nah, this is too much", that is totally fine.  Both Killings and Beagle should have come out and said "hey, his ankle is trash...he tried...but he just couldn't go".  That would stop speculation.

I will say this: ZERO doubt that Vic will be talking to Beagle and his family, and if this is truly about the staff....better believe Killings is on the hotseat; you really can't come back from that kind of protest. 

As for Beagle, he will be able to make a solid lateral move, the MAAC or CAA, with an outside chance at a lower MAC or A-10 team.  He's been close to averaging a double-double with $iena coaching.  That said, I do not think he's quick or strong enough for much higher...at least not next year.  I do think he's not growing do to the staff. 

1 hour ago, godanesgo99 said:

The court rulings came in December. No idea what he’s sitting but it’s why Siena’s star is playing. 

1 hour ago, Dane96 said:

It's been very noticeable, and a shame.  Beagle was quoted (and I am paraphrasing) as the team having way too much one-on-one basketball, and it needs to change.  Not a newsflash to many on this board...and he's right. That's what happens when you have limited tactical coaching chops; the team is playing AAU style basketball.  When Paul Westhead ran a run-n-gun type of offense, there actually was structure around the style.  Right now it is Sebstian Thomas dribbling like a madman because outside of Marshall, not a single guy on the permiter understands what to do with the ball when closed out or after they pick up the dribble. Sebastian is then trying to do too much.  The rest of the defense is literally keying on Beagle, making his life miserable.

Flat out, a player quitting on his team in the middle of a game, against a top rival is absolutely bonkers.  That said, I am going to give Beagle slack-- I think he's been playing VERY hurt for quite awhile, and the ankle got rolled pretty badly the game before Vermont.  That said, if that was the reason...and if Killings pushed him to play (something I don't mind at all, coaches do that all the time from high school, to AAU, to college, to the pros), and he said "nah, this is too much", that is totally fine.  Both Killings and Beagle should have come out and said "hey, his ankle is trash...he tried...but he just couldn't go".  That would stop speculation.

I will say this: ZERO doubt that Vic will be talking to Beagle and his family, and if this is truly about the staff....better believe Killings is on the hotseat; you really can't come back from that kind of protest. 

As for Beagle, he will be able to make a solid lateral move, the MAAC or CAA, with an outside chance at a lower MAC or A-10 team.  He's been close to averaging a double-double with $iena coaching.  That said, I do not think he's quick or strong enough for much higher...at least not next year.  I do think he's not growing do to the staff. 

I believe this is Killings 3rd year of a 5 year contract.  No way we are eating 2 years. No shot.  Unless it's for cause.... Killings is not on the hot seat because we cant afford it.  

Edited by UA1882

1 minute ago, UA1882 said:

I believe this is Killings 3rd year of a 5 year contract.  No way we are eating 2 years. No shot.  Unless it's for cause.... Killings is not on the hot seat because we cant afford it.  

💯 agree.  But, the d he loses all of what I think he loses, it’s a total rebuild.  That’s a lot to ask for year 4. My guess, they play out year 4 and if things don’t dramatically improve, theg will either buyout the last year or run it and let him go after year 5.  With the way transfers work, a new coach could rebuild a team quickly.