UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

MBB - Game 22/Conference Game 7 - @ Patrick Gym, Burlington, VT, Thursday, February 1, 2024, 7:00PM

19 minutes ago, Dane96 said:

💯 agree.  But, the d he loses all of what I think he loses, it’s a total rebuild.  That’s a lot to ask for year 4. My guess, they play out year 4 and if things don’t dramatically improve, theg will either buyout the last year or run it and let him go after year 5.  With the way transfers work, a new coach could rebuild a team quickly.  

Sounds right.  The only other thing they could do is fire Killings this year and give the assistant ex Buffalo coach a modest raise for 2 years.  That's the only other way I can see a coaching change happen.  

5 hours ago, cwdickens said:

My concerns about Jonathan Beagle started with the UMass-Lowell game.  I am not sure if he has an issue with Killings and/or one or more of the assistants and/or one or more of his team mates.  He just not seems to be himself.  I know Marcus Jackson tried speaking with him during the Bryant game on the sidelines and Jonathan would have nothing to do with the talk.  Whatever the issue, I strongly feel Marcus Jackson knows because these two are the closest of friends as I never see one without the other.

I hope Jonathan does not have a game fatigue.  

I'm in the camp that I'm ok if Beagle decides to transfer...good offensive player, decent rebounder, immature, a complete zero on defense. This team has some talent but poorly coached, some kids have not panned out or are unhealthy, the rest are pressing and not getting put into a position to succeed. I do think Dk is a decent recruiter but it's pretty obvious he's a $iena coach. 

Can anyone point me to the source of this negativity from Beagle? Things feel like they have gotten very negative very quickly, and I haven't seen anything about his comments or if it was just an injury. Did I miss something outside of what was posted on this board?

16 hours ago, Dane96 said:

No, they would not. That rule went bye bye this year. 

Pretty sure this is incorrect. The second time transfer rule has NOT yet been amended or changed. This has been discussed on the football section of this blog; and as far as I recall and have not seen any update in the news.

But the second time transfer rule was temporarily suspended by the courts, giving the NCAA until early January to amend the rule. The ncaa gave all waiting two time transferees immediate eligibility to play, while giving themselves time to reevaluate the rule.

As far as I've seen/read they have NOT changed/amended the rule at this point. The players mentioned in this blog except Beagle WOULD have to sit a year as the temporary court adjudication has expired.

Now as far as I've seen/read the ncaa has bigger issues than the one year wait for second time transfers. Many institutions including many Power 5 WANT the entire Portal process re-evaluted. This along with issues with NIL, especially for "non-money" sports (which Power 5's or otherwise ALL have issues); may not be resolved in our lifetimes.

I know you have sources who know more about all of this than I do; but pretty sure at this moment in time the one year wait for second time transfers is still in effect. And pretty sure it is closely tied into the the issues I've mentioned above.

If you have any updates on the  "Overall  Portal Process" review;  and/or official ncaa professionalization of college sports, please enlighten us. Thanks

Edited by dslyank

3 hours ago, dslyank said:

Pretty sure this is incorrect. The second time transfer rule has NOT yet been amended or changed. This has been discussed on the football section of this blog; and as far as I recall and have not seen any update in the news.

But the second time transfer rule was temporarily suspended by the courts, giving the NCAA until early January to amend the rule. The ncaa gave all waiting two time transferees immediate eligibility to play, while giving themselves time to reevaluate the rule.

As far as I've seen/read they have NOT changed/amended the rule at this point. The players mentioned in this blog except Beagle WOULD have to sit a year as the temporary court adjudication has expired.

Now as far as I've seen/read the ncaa has bigger issues than the one year wait for second time transfers. Many institutions including many Power 5 WANT the entire Portal process re-evaluted. This along with issues with NIL, especially for "non-money" sports (which Power 5's or otherwise ALL have issues); may not be resolved in our lifetimes.

I know you have sources who know more about all of this than I do; but pretty sure at this moment in time the one year wait for second time transfers is still in effect. And pretty sure it is closely tied into the the issues I've mentioned above.

If you have any updates on the  "Overall  Portal Process" review;  and/or official ncaa professionalization of college sports, please enlighten us. Thanks

I consider Charlie Baker a friend.  I’ve heard straight from his mouth that they do not plan on enforcing the order and the injunction is still in effect because the. NCAA could not prover irreparable harm was not caused to the athletes

will they change the philosophical view they are taking to not enforce the rule, I have no idea.  But right now they won’t due to the court order.  Other D1 coaches in multiple sports are highly concerned at this prospect of no waiver and it has led to some coaches wanting out of the college game (Nick Saban, per highly placed sources would have stayed a couple more years) Chip Kelly is seeking an exit, Harbaugh has cited this, etc)   It is why Ryan Day has railed the process and why schools are hiring GMs to run the portal and nil. 

• Confused 1

19 hours ago, Dane96 said:

I’ve heard straight from his mouth that they do not plan on enforcing the order and the injunction is still in effect because the. NCAA could not prover irreparable harm

I am NOT a lawyer; but almost positive the original injunction was for a specific TIME period [ended first week in January].

The fact that the ncaa chose NOT to defend the rule during the injunction period/time frame; does not as far as I (not a lawyer) mean the rule no longer exists. 

I admit I could be totally wrong but pretty damn sure if you go the ncaa rule book still lists a one your waiting period for second time transfers. 

Really, whether the rule still is on the books or not and whether the ncaa plans to enforce it in the future or not; is pretty meaningless. Do/Did not mean to contradict you or anyone on the current state of the rule.

THE BIGGER ISSUE {and what my post was really addressing} that being the issue of the PORTAL as a whole. Dare I say the large majority of small and mid major NCAA schools and even a significant # of power 5 conferences have major issues with the PORTAL period. You yourself mentioned Saban, and there are others. Your friend Baker CANNOT ignore the issue of the effect the PORTAL is having on college athletics at ALL levels and ALL programs both for money sports and ALL the other non-revenue generating college sports.

IMHO most/all Colleges and Universities cannot, nor do not want to professionalize college athletics. Most are having enough financial stress just trying to provide an education. Even the large power5's know providing total free agency and paying athletes is NOT sustainable. NCAA's very existences is at stake. If was the president of Harvard or UA or SUNY Potsdam, and told l had to grant free agency to all my student athletes and by the way pay them as well as educate them, OR find another conference to participate; I'd call NIAA or whoever or offer intramural athletics only.

Sorry about the rant. Probably something wrong with me, thinking a college athlete should just be a College Athlete, no more no less.

22 hours ago, dslyank said:

I am NOT a lawyer; but almost positive the original injunction was for a specific TIME period [ended first week in January].

The fact that the ncaa chose NOT to defend the rule during the injunction period/time frame; does not as far as I (not a lawyer) mean the rule no longer exists. 

I admit I could be totally wrong but pretty damn sure if you go the ncaa rule book still lists a one your waiting period for second time transfers. 

Really, whether the rule still is on the books or not and whether the ncaa plans to enforce it in the future or not; is pretty meaningless. Do/Did not mean to contradict you or anyone on the current state of the rule.

THE BIGGER ISSUE {and what my post was really addressing} that being the issue of the PORTAL as a whole. Dare I say the large majority of small and mid major NCAA schools and even a significant # of power 5 conferences have major issues with the PORTAL period. You yourself mentioned Saban, and there are others. Your friend Baker CANNOT ignore the issue of the effect the PORTAL is having on college athletics at ALL levels and ALL programs both for money sports and ALL the other non-revenue generating college sports.

IMHO most/all Colleges and Universities cannot, nor do not want to professionalize college athletics. Most are having enough financial stress just trying to provide an education. Even the large power5's know providing total free agency and paying athletes is NOT sustainable. NCAA's very existences is at stake. If was the president of Harvard or UA or SUNY Potsdam, and told l had to grant free agency to all my student athletes and by the way pay them as well as educate them, OR find another conference to participate; I'd call NIAA or whoever or offer intramural athletics only.

Sorry about the rant. Probably something wrong with me, thinking a college athlete should just be a College Athlete, no more no less.

The rule exists, it is unenforceable as of now...more hearings are taking place next week. 

As for the rest, I totally agree with you...and frankly, the media is TOTALLY ruining college athletics.  I hate it. This has gotten out of control and the amount of jobs depending on its continued professionalization is what is fueling continuing the madness, not the kids getting paid. 

At some point, the NCAA will be like the Championship, or La Liga B, or Serie B, or Bundesliga 2.  A second rate, lower level league of professionals.  Outside of the areas that DO NOT have professional sports, you will see declining interest in following lesser "professionals".  

This is all stupid. 

• Thanks 1