UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

Ross leaving UA

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

wow--that one is a shocker--Carl was instrumental in UA winning the AE tournament---I assumed he had found his niche as a role player--obviously Coach Brown feels otherwise.

He was all over Trimboli ---and knocked the ball away from him!!!!! If not for Carl knocking the ball away, Brown would not have been in position to get his big raise $$$$$$$$$$$$!!!!!!!!!!! :glare:

Gee Thanks, Coach! :rolleyes:

Thats a darn shame that college athletes are abused like this by the schools. So much for loyalty; i will never again complain about a student who transfers out. These kids commit for 4 years and the school commits for 1. As excited as i am about the new recruits... its messed up that a kid who came far from home to play for us (and played hard!) has to be told that his scholarship is up and he'd be expected to walk on at the $20,000 price tag for the university. Really sad to see Carl go. Good luck to him in whatever he decides to do next.

*Edit*

I should also say that i'm not questioning coach Brown's decision. If he felt Ross wasn't doing it in practice then i could see his side of the decision. I just believe Student-Athletes get a raw deal in this for the fact that they have to sit out a year if they want to transfer whereas they can be told at any point that they wont get their scholarship renued.

I'm shocked..... :angry2: Not at the fact that Ross won't be coming back but the way he was let go....not renewing scholarship. Sounds like Ross is bitter about being let go.

This is exactly why I'm not a huge fan of Juco's, and this class has two of them!

UA's abuse of Ross makes me regret being a student there and will make me regret being an alumni.

Brown got greedy and blind and I hope he regrets this as long as he lives.

I'm shocked..... :angry2: Not at the fact that Ross won't be coming back but the way he was let go....not renewing scholarship. Sounds like Ross is bitter about being let go.

This is exactly why I'm not a huge fan of Juco's, and this class has two of them!

UA's abuse of Ross makes me regret being a student there and will make me regret being an alumni.

While I think your comments are a little strong, let's see how this thing plays out if there is anything else left to say. I'm starting to become increasingly concerned (red flag) with players leaving, either leg work isn't being done before they get here or something. Fact remains, something is a bit strange with recently recruited players like Yocum, Ross, Knight leaving.

What's even more strange, if indeed you are looking to develop young players, why bring in two more JUCO's? I know one has 3 years of eligibility remaining.

Strange!

Y'all need to relax. This stuff happens ALL the time in DI sports. I feel for Ross...seemed like a nice kid...but you cannot rip Brown for this w/o know his side of the story which, quite frankly, we are not entitled to know.

Y'all need to relax. This stuff happens ALL the time in DI sports. I feel for Ross...seemed like a nice kid...but you cannot rip Brown for this w/o know his side of the story which, quite frankly, we are not entitled to know.

I agree with Dane96. Also, I think that there are 3 sides to this story, and Coach is only at liberty to say so much. We have to assume that Coach is doing what is best for the program, and he has a right to exercise that judgment as the head coach. Carl was somewhat of a fan favorite, and one of our most athletic players, and I'm sure that Coach was aware of this. Everyone is also well aware of the job Ross did in Burlington, Vermont last March. For Coach Brown to not renew C.R.'s scholarship must have been a tough decision and one that was not taken lightly given the foregoing.

Stating that there are issues of "consistency" in practice may be a way of sugar-coating the real problem to the media and fans, as the problem may have been much more severe. Having played high school basketball locally in the Suburban Council and then in college for a year, I can say that disclosing to the media that there are issues of "consistency" could be a way of disguising a real nasty problem. Believe me, I saw ugly ugly stuff between coaches and players in practice in my day. I'm not saying that that existed here, but I am simply reminding us all that there are 3 sides to every story, and I would encourage everyone here to remember that when coming out with harsh comments and criticisms.

I also am confident that Coach feels bad about having to make the decision that he did (and would for any player), but I am also confident that he felt it was necessary. Carl Ross was unquestionably my favorite player, and I am sad to see him go, but until I have the opportunity (which I will never have) to sit down 1-to-1 in confidence with Coach Brown and hear his side of the story, I will not cast judgment, and I encourage the other fans to do the same (though you are more than free to do so of course).

I also wish Carl the best and hope he brings the excitement that he became known for here at UA to others associated with all of his life's pursuits, both on and off the court!! :)

I have no clue what went on to bring the Ross situation to a head but as Dane96 said stuff like this happens.

A kid like Yocum I'm sure could have stayed but with the realization that he would be recruited over and therefore he is probably better off moving on and having 3 years eligibility.

Same could be said for Michael Knight, he probably could have stayed and played as much as he did the past season or he could transfer out and get a year of quality playing time at a DII or NAIA school next season.

As for Ross - the quotes from Brown say alot....

(1.) “But the biggest thing for me as a coach is consistency.

(2.) I want guys that are real gym rats working on their game ........ That was a major adjustment for Carl.”.........

Brown said he told Ross his playing time wasn’t likely to increase next season.

Evidently Brown didn't like the consistency of Carl's play or his commitment to improve his game.

Brown also said when they talked...

“We’ve had mutual discussions about his role and the direction I’m looking to go,’’ Brown said.“We’re on different pages.’’

Saying they are on different pages sends up a "RED FLAG".

Bottom line is we'll never know the entire story.

The reality is how often does a coach not renew a scholarship of the most athletic guy on the team?

I respectfully disagree with the quoted statement above. While I do not really have an opinion of JUCOs, I do not think that UA or the basketball program necessarily abused Carl, or at least based on the limited information that has been made available to me via the Times Union blog. While I was not a scholarship player when I played college hoops, my understanding of scholarships (legal and otherwise --- and Dane96 or someone else here may be able to provide more information on this; I do not know much about scholarships and how they work) is that there is contract and/or informal agreement between the player and the coach. There are certain expectations between the coach and the player. If the player does not meet those expectations, then the coach is more than free to get rid of the player, and I would encourage any coach to do exactly that! It's just like if you took a job across the country but then didn't show up to work on time every day! Expectations not met, player doesn't stay. Simple. Coach Brown has built a program, and he has done it with an emphasis on conditioning, hard work, harder practicing, and off-season work. We have no idea whether Carl was engaging in some of these things, especially the off-season work. Ross, more than anyone on the team, should have been in the gym working on the 15-foot jumpshots (including free throws) and ball handling skills. Especially since we are losing darn near 50% or more of our offense this year!!

And think about this: What about Bauman? He hardly ever got playing time, didn't have the athleticicm or ability that Carl did, yet Bauman stayed on. Why is that? I think there is more than meets the eye to this situation!

Let's not be so quick to cast judgment on coach or the school. Coach would not have declined to extend a scholarship to a player, especially a fan favorite, unless there are some REAL reasons for doing so, and I will assume that this was the case until proven otherwise (and, of course, anyone else is free to assume otherwise).

And I hope that Scrabble and some of the others on this Board will reconsider their feelings towards being a former student and alum. of UAlbany, or at least keep an open mind until we find out more information or at least Coach's side of the story! Regarding the University, it has done a tremendous job over recent years, and it is the University that stepped up and did what it had to do to keep Brown and distinguish itself as a school dedicated to building a solid basketball and athletic program.

I have no clue what went on to bring the Ross situation to a head but as Dane96 said stuff like this happens.

A kid like Yocum I'm sure could have stayed but with the realization that he would be recruited over and therefore he is probably better off moving on and having 3 years eligibility.

Same could be said for Michael Knight, he probably could have stayed and played as much as he did the past season or he could transfer out and get a year of quality playing time at a DII or NAIA school next season.

As for Ross - the quotes from Brown say alot....

(1.) “But the biggest thing for me as a coach is consistency.

(2.) I want guys that are real gym rats working on their game ........ That was a major adjustment for Carl.”.........

Brown said he told Ross his playing time wasn’t likely to increase next season.

Evidently Brown didn't like the consistency of Carl's play or his commitment to improve his game.

Brown also said when they talked...

“We’ve had mutual discussions about his role and the direction I’m looking to go,’’ Brown said.“We’re on different pages.’’

Saying they are on different pages sends up a "RED FLAG".

Bottom line is we'll never know the entire story.

The reality is how often does a coach not renew a scholarship of the most athletic guy on the team?

I totally agree with Patch here. Carl Ross was the most athletic (or close to) guy on the team. For Coach not to renew the scholarship given the foregoing, there must have been serious issues, and Coach is in the difficult position of having to take the "higher ground" and watch what he says, and I respect Coach for doing a good job with that!

1. 3 of the 5 kids that were brought in last year are gone...

2. Why would the conversation about renewing Ross' scholarship just occur two weeks ago? You'd think that it would have occurred in time for him to find a place to land.

3. For all we know, a similar conversation occurred with Yokum and Knight - but they apparently had time to find a place to go.

4. Maybe one of the kids that just signed did so unexpectedly and Brown felt like he had to find a spot?

I'm sure this does happen all the time - but I think the kids usually get a chance to land on their feet somewhere.

Just keep in mind that scrabbleship is Mr. Manic-Depressive on this forum - had no faith Brown could win at Patrick Gym, then 3 weeks later would have lost faith in McElroy if he didn't hang onto Brown, now regrets being a student here because of Brown's action.

Archived