UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

Official news on Stadium & Track

danefan

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

uaplan.jpg

Assuming the areas highlighted in purple are the areas for team benches, and the black area is about the size of our current visitors' side (about 850 seats), if the gold sections have the same number of rows (15), this configuration would seat 4,500-5,000. Horseshoeing in the other side would raise it to about 6,700 before you'd have to increase the number of rows or adding an upper deck.

OTOH if the gold areas are just the hillsides where it's going to be dug out, actual seating would be a lot less in the first phase.

danefan, Giants camp opened August 2 last year, but I think you're right that it was earlier in previous years.

I am just assuming its going to be a turf field, so I also imagine this has something to do with the Giants coming back. In all reality, they could have the turf field down on the current soccer field before the Giants even get there. Turf fields go down in no time.

Heres some clarification of what the State is giving Cortland for the Jets coming back - http://www.wicz.com/...cle.asp?a=13627

and they already have the better facility than us! From what I was told, NY State has money in a fund if the Giants do come back, which supposedly, they will be coming back.

I do not get it? Why is Cortland taking away turf and adding grass fields; and Albany needs to do the opposite? Anyone know what is going on; both Jets and Giants ultimately play on the same field? Did I read the link article wrong? Also, I cannot believe the Jets in Cortland out draw the Giant in Albany. Is this really true??

I believe they are taking out "old" turf fields and replacing with natural grass. They already have sufficient field turf fields. They need natural grass. We have sufficient natural grass (Mara Practice Fields). We have no fieldturf for the Giants to use. Remember - no one but lacrosse is allowed to use Fallon Field (my understanding is that there was a restriction on the donation).

uaplan.jpg

Assuming the areas highlighted in purple are the areas for team benches, and the black area is about the size of our current visitors' side (about 850 seats), if the gold sections have the same number of rows (15), this configuration would seat 4,500-5,000. Horseshoeing in the other side would raise it to about 6,700 before you'd have to increase the number of rows or adding an upper deck.

OTOH if the gold areas are just the hillsides where it's going to be dug out, actual seating would be a lot less in the first phase.

danefan, Giants camp opened August 2 last year, but I think you're right that it was earlier in previous years.

I have a unfounded suspicion that a lot of us will be sitting on blankets next year. The parts in yellow are exactly where the hills are now. I don't see why they would put seats in the endzone before they puts seats on both sidelines. Endzone seats are always the seats of last resort, because the views aren't great.

If that's the case, we might as well just play at UField next year.

Until I see otherwise, I'm just going to assume the worst.

If design work only starts this summer, we may be at U Field this summer anyway.

I can only hope they put more temporay seats on the east side than shows in the pic. While I've sat on the hill for games, it was 25 years ago, and we had beer and other stuff to help us thru it. I don't know about now, especially since half our home sched in 2010 is in November.

The season starts later than it used too.

The start of the season has been moved to the weekend after labor day a few years ago instead of labor day weekend. In addition labor day last year was the latest day it could be, the 7th and this year it is the 6th.

The first Sunday in the NFL season in 2000 was 9/3, 9/13 last year and 9/12 this year

Wouldn't training camp open the same time each season in relation to the start of the NFL season. There generally are the 4 preseason games although occasionally there is a 5th for some teams.

The season starts later than it used too.

The start of the season has been moved to the weekend after labor day a few years ago instead of labor day weekend. In addition labor day last year was the latest day it could be, the 7th and this year it is the 6th.

The first Sunday in the NFL season in 2000 was 9/3, 9/13 last year and 9/12 this year

Wouldn't training camp open the same time each season in relation to the start of the NFL season. There generally are the 4 preseason games although occasionally there is a 5th for some teams.

Yeah that sounds about right.

I was thinking that maybe they had shortened the trip to Albany. I remember hearing Coughlin say that he wouldn't mind having a couple weeks at Giants stadium and a couple weeks in Albany.

From this quote, it doesn't look like anything is happening anytime soon.....

http://www.albanystudentpress.org/ualbany-track-coach-celebrates-25th-year-1.1375778

For all its success, the UAlbany track and field team cannot host home meets at the school because the school’s track does not meet NCAA regulations. Vives said the team is anticipating a new outdoor facility as soon as 2012.

mad.gif

Truth be told...that is a good thing.

Here is why. It will probably take 6 months minimum to go through the design phase. Then, you have the final design approvals and CDRL's (contract document requirment list) that must be finalized. All of this, at minimum, takes 6 months. But before all of that, you have an RFP that must be drafted. I highly doubt they have anything more than a sketch RFP. Once the RFP is out...you have anywhere from 2-6 weeks for Proposal submission. Then there is the review of the proposals. You have the selection...and then you have the negotiations.

All and all, you are looking at 8-14 months before a shovel would hit the ground if this is a significant re-building or in this case, likely total build out with demolition. So, you are looking at next FEB or March...not prime time to start building with frost...so...the shovel will likely hit the ground somewhere around April of 2011. Figure 12 month building out...boom...there you have your 2012.

So...IMHO, it means they are doing this right!

Truth be told...that is a good thing.

Here is why. It will probably take 6 months minimum to go through the design phase. Then, you have the final design approvals and CDRL's (contract document requirment list) that must be finalized. All of this, at minimum, takes 6 months. But before all of that, you have an RFP that must be drafted. I highly doubt they have anything more than a sketch RFP. Once the RFP is out...you have anywhere from 2-6 weeks for Proposal submission. Then there is the review of the proposals. You have the selection...and then you have the negotiations.

All and all, you are looking at 8-14 months before a shovel would hit the ground if this is a significant re-building or in this case, likely total build out with demolition. So, you are looking at next FEB or March...not prime time to start building with frost...so...the shovel will likely hit the ground somewhere around April of 2011. Figure 12 month building out...boom...there you have your 2012.

So...IMHO, it means they are doing this right!

Its just insult to injury. They've had 6+ years since the concept drawings were released. It should not under any circumstances take 10 years to renovate a track or build a <10,000 seat stadium.

I'm taking the screw it approach...I'll believe anything else they say when I see it. At this point it's just a mirage...just over the hill yonder...just wait a little longer. YEAR AFTER YEAR AFTER YEAR DRAGS ON WITH NO PROGRESS.

Whatever!

On two separate occasions I wrote an e-mail asking for when to expect information and I was given a ballpark time frame. Both have come and gone LOOONNNNGGG AGO!

So I've stopped asking.

I'm taking the screw it approach...I'll believe anything else they say when I see it. At this point it's just a mirage...just over the hill yonder...just wait a little longer. YEAR AFTER YEAR AFTER YEAR DRAGS ON WITH NO PROGRESS.

Whatever!

On two separate occasions I wrote an e-mail asking for when to expect information and I was given a ballpark time frame. Both have come and gone LOOONNNNGGG AGO!

So I've stopped asking.

Not to mention we could have had a public fund-raiser on-going during all these years of inactivity.

Whatever!

So I've stopped asking.

Not to mention we could have had a public fund-raiser on-going during all these years of inactivity.

UGHHHH....this whole thing SUCKS!

GDG just got back from "A Conversation with George Philip" at Jack's and Philip mentioned a few things on the stadium....

He was asked.. are we getting a new stadium? He said something like ...If you mean stadium by our $50M request, No. What we are looking to do is incremental projects in 3 phases. First phase is a turf field North to South. They want to take a modular approach and building it up and adding seats in the 2nd and 3rd phases. But no details on size or time frame was talked about.

But then he kept saying something about the Giants wanting to use the lacrosse field.. so GDG isn't sure if he meant it to be directly related to the football phases or what. Maybe someone else who was there can clarify that whole thing. In regards to the lacrosse field there's the requirement that it can only be used for lacrosse but Philip said thats being worked on..and the Giants want to see if they can use it, but they would need to add lines but you have issues of shadowing of lines, which is unacceptable to the University explained Philip.

Track field... seemed like it was a high priority he's working on it to make it happen so that there can be home meets.

Archived