UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

Saturday's attendance

This may come off sounding pretty odd, but i was surprised that the attendance Saturday night was not higher. I had heard that around 10,500 tickets had been sold as of mid-day Wednesday and i assumed with Siena's home opener on Wednesday night and game day walk-up, the final tally would exceed 12,500. I had assumed a Saturday evening, with students on campus (ie, not Thanksgiving week) was the best possible scenario to generate attendance, together with each school's fans having very high expectations for their respective seasons.

What am i not understanding?

This may come off sounding pretty odd, but i was surprised that the attendance Saturday night was not higher.  I had heard that around 10,500 tickets had been sold as of mid-day Wednesday and i assumed with Siena's home opener on Wednesday night and game day walk-up, the final tally would exceed 12,500. I had assumed a Saturday evening, with students on campus (ie, not Thanksgiving week) was the best possible scenario to generate attendance, together with each school's fans having very high expectations for their respective seasons.

18229[/snapback]

I was shocked...and dissappointed as well. Even more shocking was the Siena claim of 7000 to 4000 (number of fans). I find that number to be hardly the case. Most, even those Siena fans who I know, felt the crowd was nearly 50-50.

This may come off sounding pretty odd, but i was surprised that the attendance Saturday night was not higher.  I had heard that around 10,500 tickets had been sold as of mid-day Wednesday and i assumed with Siena's home opener on Wednesday night and game day walk-up, the final tally would exceed 12,500. I had assumed a Saturday evening, with students on campus (ie, not Thanksgiving week) was the best possible scenario to generate attendance, together with each school's fans having very high expectations for their respective seasons.

18229[/snapback]

I was shocked...and dissappointed as well. Even more shocking was the Siena claim of 7000 to 4000 (number of fans). I find that number to be hardly the case. Most, even those Siena fans who I know, felt the crowd was nearly 50-50.

18232[/snapback]

you're shocked and dissapointed because there were only 11,000 people at the game?

18229[/snapback]

18232[/snapback]

you're shocked and dissapointed because there were only 11,000 people at the game?

18241[/snapback]

YES...Highly. This game should have been in the 12-13k range.

18241[/snapback]

Yes, I'll add my name to the list of people who were surprised at the attendance figure. One Times Union reported stated a couple days before the game that 10,500 tickets had already been sold for the game. It's surprising then that only 750 more people showed up.

Is the arena this year reporting only people that actually show up and abandoning the practice of counting every ticket sale, including no-shows?

Have higher ticket prices discouraged potential spectators?

Were too many Christmas parties held the same evening?

Did the arena limit the number of ticket buyers?

I don't know the answer, but I was surprised to see the curtains shading parts of the upper decks when I entered the place.

you guys should get over yourselves. Whining about ONLY 11,000 people instead of 12,000. Please.

18263[/snapback]

I think you miss the point. Two years ago, when both teams were much poorer (Siena went 6-24 that year and UAlbany was even worse the year before), the game drew 11,797 people.

Why did fewer people attend this year when Siena has vastly improved and UAlbany went to the NCAA last year?

We want to know what's happened in the Capital District to account for a poorer showing? I think the question is legitimate.

I didn't intend for it to sound "whining". It's not the most important question of the day; it's just a curiosity on my part. I anticipated a record-breaking crowd, and i was incorrect, so, i'm just trying to understand where my thinking went afoul. In light of the discussions in other threads regarding the potential renegotiation of the contract, the first fact both sides will want to understand is what the total revenue is and what each side could lose, revenue-wise, if a settlement cannot be reached.

It was a great game and worth every penny for my Bob Uecker(sp?) rejected seats but I think the final total was a $ and cents(sense) issue. Should I pay $28 for an upper deck seat or pay $8/per to see UA vs VCU and bring both my kids????????????? and sit in the third or fourth row!!!!!!!!!!

It was a great game and worth every penny for my Bob Uecker(sp?) rejected seats but I think the final total was a $ and cents(sense) issue.  Should I pay $28 for an upper deck seat or pay $8/per  to see UA vs VCU and bring both my kids?????????????  and  sit in the  third or fourth row!!!!!!!!!!

18269[/snapback]

Well, that is an easy one and a similar question I asked myself last Wednesday.

Do I pay over $25 to see Hofstra in what I consider a crappy seat or do I pay $5 and see St Rose from 5 rows up center court. I went with St Rose figuring if I want to pay that kind of money to see Hofstra I would see them in Syracuse for $18.

I found that odd too. If they sold 10,500 you have to anticipate potential walk up to be 2000. It was almost like they expected it to be under 12k.

I think someone fudged some numbers prior to the game.

On Friday, one of the fox sports news anchors said that 10k is what was reported but when he spoke with reps from the Pepsi, the number was closer to 8k

I found that odd too. If they sold 10,500 you have to anticipate potential walk up to be 2000. It was almost like they expected it to be under 12k.

On Friday, one of the fox sports news anchors said that 10k is what was reported but when he spoke with reps from the Pepsi, the number was closer to 8k

18291[/snapback]

So where did the Times Union get its figures from? I think they reported that as of Thursday afternoon 10,500 tickets had been sold. Makes me question the sources where the media get their info from.

Actually, it sounds more like the Pepsi was giving false info to all the media. The lower estimate may also explain to me why the curtains were already hanging in the upper tiers. The arena already knew that not so many tickets had been sold and anticipated it would not be a sellout from walkons.

18291[/snapback]

So where did the Times Union get its figures from? I think they reported that as of Thursday afternoon 10,500 tickets had been sold. Makes me question the sources where the media get their info from.

18293[/snapback]

I would guess that was part of the agreement the TU made with Albany county/ Siena. Isn't it part of the contract with Albany county now to cover/hype events in building formerly known as the knick.

you guys should get over yourselves. Whining about ONLY 11,000 people instead of 12,000. Please.

18263[/snapback]

I too was surprised by the final number. Everybody I work with was surprised by the final number. Yes 11K is great but not for this game, but with high expectations from both programs this season and the game on a nice (weather for walkups) Saturday night, there should have been more people at the game.

Archived