UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

Danes at UMBC

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I say enough putting around by our Danes. It's time Iati take a seat next to the other pine riders, time for Lillis to join him if he isn't capable or willing to put up a shot or two. It's time for more Ross to shore up our perimeter defense, it's time for more Gifford in the middle as we are getting zero production from the paint area. Conelly is great but he really is our only inside threat, BWilson doesn't spend enough time down there. And most of all I beg our Danes not to start games like they are sleep walking, show some fire and energy out of the gate and punch UMBC in the mouth. After the way we lost to Bingo I think we lost a little of the trepidation and respect from the rest of the league as we looked very mediocre and beatable. We need to regain the superiority we had going into the season, the only way to do that is play hard, smart ball and roll UMBC.

I agree with you about Gifford. He looked good early in the year and hasn't seemed comfortable on the floor in the past couple of games. I'd like to see him get more the ball more when he's in. I'm not sure how you can critize Lillis after the double-double against Bing. As for Iati there are times where he's going to be a good matchup and times where he isn't. He certainly wasn't against Forbes but remember him last year against UMBC? He went wild in that game.

DP,

I criticize him not on one game but look at his last 7 out of 9 games. He played well at Bing, but for every game like that he has 3 or 4 where he is totally ineffective, and actually is more of a detriment with his fouls. Again, this is just my opinion but until he gets his head more into the offensive end and stop the stupid fouls he should be in effect reprimanded for his very very mediocre play. I think allot of us look past his faults because he tries so darn hard on the defensive end but to me that isn't enough.

from bosiydid - I say enough putting around by our Danes. I say enough putting around by our Danes. It's time Iati take a seat next to the other pine riders, time for Lillis to join him if he isn't capable or willing to put up a shot or two. It's time for more Ross to shore up our perimeter defense, it's time for more Gifford in the middle as we are getting zero production from the paint area. Conelly is great but he really is our only inside threat, BWilson doesn't spend enough time down there. And most of all I beg our Danes not to start games like they are sleep walking, show some fire and energy out of the gate , time for Lillis to join him if he isn't capable or willing to put up a shot or two. It's time for more Ross to shore up our perimeter defense, it's time for more Gifford in the middle as we are getting zero production from the paint area. Conelly is great but he really is our only inside threat, BWilson doesn't spend enough time down there. And most of all I beg our Danes not to start games like they are sleep walking, show some fire and energy out of the gate

We should fire the coaching staff and hire you!!!!!!

It's easy to recognize problems it's a little harder to come up with solutions.

"It's time Iati take a seat next to the other pine riders" - Jon significantly contributed to atleast 3 or 4 AE wins last year. We won the conference by 1 game. You don't kick him to the curb.

" time for Lillis to join him if he isn't capable or willing to put up a shot or two." - as DP stated Lillis is coming off a double double.

"it's time for more Gifford in the middle as we are getting zero production from the paint area." - Gifford has not shown the ability "YET" to be productive on the interior and currently he has always been in foul trouble.

"BWilson doesn't spend enough time down there". - Brent is having his best all around season as a Dane.

"And most of all I beg our Danes not to start games like they are sleep walking, show some fire and energy out of the gate" - against Bing, UA came out and took a solid early lead.

At 8-6 this team is not living up to expectations - just last season (our first and only winning season in DI) we were 4-6 at this point. Let's not be like other boards and all of a sudden think we are suppose to be perfect. Just 2 years ago we were excited being 13-15.

B. Wilson is hurting, J. Siggers is hurting and B. Gifford is probably sluggish feeling the affects of the big weight loss while adjusting to DI play. From reports Carl Ross has been injured or sick for weeks and hasn't practiced much, if he can't execute what the team is doing it's hard to play him much.

I for one think this team will get better as it gets healthy, no matter what we have to peak for the AE Tourney.

Nice Post Patch. Where've you been? Boysidid, you actually got me to stop reading the board for a couple days with your negative and, imho, off base posts.

I agree. The best thing about this board is the way in which we always supported our athletes.

Criticizing them now when they are down is not the best option we have. The next week will be extremely brutal for this team - for both players and coaches alike. The team will be playing 4 games in the next 8 days, and if they even manage to split the games, I will be happy, considering all the injuries the team has been experiencing. These injuries come from tough play in both practice and in game situations. It seems like our team has more injuries than other teams, which tells me that we are playing harder consistently.

We are still dealing with the coach's suspension and the fact that all the other conference teams are salivating at the chance of beating the AE top dog. I think this team is facing enough tough challenges right now without having to worry about its most loyal fanbase. The best thing we can do about the current situation is to continue to cheer them on - get more people to the home games to utilize the only real advantage we offer to the team.

totally agree...i didnt like reading the Binghamton Game post and words like disgraceful and pathetic being used to describe this team...its uncalled for. I can get upset about performences, but you dont bash players like that.

Lets also not forget that the key to success in the AE is winning our home games and stealing a few on the road. Our league is very good this year compared to last so we have to be patient with our expectations and supportive even if they fall short.

Patch,

You can disagree with me and offer a rebuttal to my points and frustrations but I think it’s inappropriate for you to speak to me in such a pejorative manor, saying things like fire the staff and hire bosiydid.

- My point on Iati was that he should be on a very short leash. Nowhere did I say that he should be completely kicked to the curb and I recognize that when he is on he offers a huge lift. But this year in 14 games he has been on in 2 games the rest of the time he has been a substantial liability on defense and hasn’t offered anything on offense. So perhaps I haven’t articulated my thought clearly but in my opinion, and this is only my opinion he shouldn’t have played 20 minutes. And infect coach Brown has been using him sporadically when he wasn’t playing well. Hope this makes it a little clearer.

- Please refer to my earlier comment on Lillis. I am a very big Lillis fan, anyone who is willing to sacrifice his body and get after it like he does should be revered by the fans. At the same time I think I echo the frustrations of many (of who sit around me at the CUE) when I say that he could be so much more but even with coach Brown imploring him to shoot more refuses. Like I’ve already said, yesterday he did well and I really don’t have any complaints, infect I’m ecstatic at his willingness to get into the game. Hopefully it will continue and I cheer for him like I’m crazy.

- Not sure how you took my comments about BWilson to be a knock on him. I have ZERO complaints about him, but in his career he has largely been a perimeter player. This year he has drastically improved in the paint, but the inside game is not where he thrives. If I’m wrong on this account please explain where?

- Even you have mentioned (as well as almost EVERY single person) on this board that allot of times this team lacks killer instinct. Sentiments echoed by Coach Brown, look what happened during the UNH game, and most recently Bingo. They do sleep walk through parts of games and this time it caught up with them. I simply stated what everyone else has been saying but yet I’m the villain.

Alum73,

I am one of the most passionate people on this board about my beloved Danes. I’m here every day shooting the crap and supporting my team. Most importantly I haven’t missed a single game this year and usually come home horse from screaming in support of my team. Yes, I’m opinionated and sometimes come of strong but if anything I’ve said is “off base” then please tell me where. I don’t expect you to agree with me on everything and I’m sorry that I’ve driven you away from this great board, but you painting me as negative etc. in my opinion is inaccurate.

OldDog,

My observations and the ensuing recommendations were just my opinion. Do you disagree with my assertion that Iati is a defensive liability, or that he should be on a short leash? Do you disagree that BWilson thrives on open jumpers from the perimeter and the inside game isn’t where he is most effective? I might come here and make observations and point out what I think to be problem areas but I resent being painted negative and or unwilling to support the Danes. Like I’ve said, I haven’t missed a single game (I don’t know how many of you can say that, perhaps everyone). I purchased season tickets not to hate on the Danes but to support them with my enthusiasm at the game and my wallet.

GreatDane84,

Your post cut me the deepest. Where in my posts have you seen words like pathetic or disgraceful? If I said it I apologize, and will do so more vehemently when you provide some quotes. You have slandered me in an open forum and haven’t provided any proof of your claims. I would be remiss in not calling you on it, as my name bosiydid is all I have on this board and my reputation attached to it. I’m waiting!

To All,

I know that sometimes my ultra-competitiveness get’s me in trouble, as I hate to lose. I’m an emotional guy at the games (as my neighbors know) and I bring the same passion here. If we are looking for this board to be docile and not a place for one to voice their opinion (good/bad) then I don’t have to post. I can have a good time reading everyone else’s thoughts and opinions.

I apologize to Alum for driving you away as it was not my intent. Patch, I hope that you and I can at least see where the other is coming from on our points of contention as perhaps fault lies with me for not articulating my thoughts clearly on Iati. I respect you as a poster and look forward to reading your rebuttal. OldDog, my apology for coming of as unsupportive of our team! GreatDane, nothing else to say to you as you were totally disingenuous in slandering me.

Like I’ve said, I haven’t missed a single game (I don’t know how many of you can say that, perhaps everyone). I purchased season tickets not to hate on the Danes but to support them with my enthusiasm at the game and my wallet.

I don't know anyone that can say that. I have only been to 10 of the games so far and will miss tomorrows game and most of the rest of the weekday road games.

Like, most of the others I like your passion, but I think you are being too hard on the team especially Iati

Last year Lu slumped offensively at the beginning of the season, but was allowed to work through it and made solid contributions down the stretch. I think Iati is capable of that also. I rather have the coach give him or any player extra minutes now to work out of a slump than not allow players the chance to get in top form for March.

BTW, it was great to see him have a great game in Utah.

bosiydid - I can not reply to your last post because I have a limited vocabulary and have no idea what the term "pejorative" means?????

Is it complimentary or negative like the tone of most your posts.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It's evident by the replies of many long time posters that your post seemed negative. Most of us have probably been frustrated by things this team has done but most of us are UA supporters and try to stay as positive as possible. 8-6, 1-1 is not so terrible in my opinion.

Comments you make like "It's time Iati take a seat next to the other pine riders" are uncalled for and are demeaning to Jon and the players on the team who work hard everyday and don't get much playing time.

Each one of the guys on the team were outstanding HS players. If you ever played a DI sport (which I doubt from your tone) I would hope you would have more respect for the members of a team who don't get much playing time - they go through everything the starters do but don't get to play alot of minutes in games.

By all means you are allowed your opinion ( Dane Pound is not Patrick Nero Jr.) but it would be appreciated if you can find some other way to vent your personal frustrations rather than with negativity against young men (who really are trying) and their coaches.

Year Overall Conference

02/03 7-21 3-13

03/04 5-23 3-15

04/05 13-15 9-9

05/06 21-11 13-3

06/07 8-6 1-1

We are still a work in progress.

You can sling such baseless accusations (most of your post are negative) all you want but that doesn’t mean it’s true. Look at my post today about Conelly, and numerous other posts. I’d even be willing to concede that at times after loses I can come of disheartened but the majority of my post are positive and I’m generally enthusiastic the entire off season with the incoming recruits etc. You were unable to even digest the points I highlighted for you like the Iati explanation and the BWilson clarification, and only proceeded to blindly continue to drive your point home….BOSIYDID IS NEGATIVE! If anything I’ve said is wrong, then let’s talk about it and not continue to call me names and slander me. I haven’t called you any names and was actually quite complimentary in telling you that I respect your posts and opinions, respect that is now lost. No worries, I don’t expect you to cry me a river because I’ve lost a measure of respect for you as I suspect you will care less but still…….! Your excuse for not even making an attempt to comprehend my reasons for what I said is in very poor taste. This isn’t English class and I didn’t intend to flood you with big words, but if a foreigner can figure out what the word means surely you could have Googled it, NO? Please go back to my post where I clarified my position and tell me where I’m wrong and exactly what you disagree with. If you intend to continue to slander me then I extend to you the same offer as I did to Great84. Quote me and if infect I’m as negative as you say I will offer a sincere apology for offending you as I have to 73 for driving him away. Otherwise it’s wrong for you to belabor the point and tear me down to make yourself out to be good “supporting” fan!

bosiydid - Take a deep breath, relax and enjoy the rest of the Great Danes season.

You're beating a dead horse to death!!!!!

We know your a good, honorable Great Dane's fan, maybe sometimes you should calm down before you start typing when your frustrated or mad.

I'm out of here, have a great day.

Archived