UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

You know I only stayed for the first half but despite a 21-3 lead by Hofstra I saw a lot of positives in this game. I was very impressed by the QB, we seem to finally have someone who can throw the ball. Very good first drive for the field goal. Add that to a Defense that has always been a strength, a good kicker and playing some really strong OOC teams, I think we have a really good shot to win the NEC this year.

You know I only stayed for the first half but despite a 21-3 lead by Hofstra I saw a lot of positives in this game. I was very impressed by the QB, we seem to finally have someone who can throw the ball. Very good first drive for the field goal. Add that to a Defense that has always been a strength, a good kicker and playing some really strong OOC teams, I think we have a really good shot to win the NEC this year.

How was our turn out tonight? I know a facilities are sub par but I would hope we got a good 5k.

How was our turn out tonight? I know a facilities are sub par but I would hope we got a good 5k.

One more question, how did tonight's score compare to.... 2002, was it? If memory serves me correctly, it was a much tigher game.

just over 4,000 last night...not bad considering most students were home for the weekend. Probably would have had near 6,000 if they were on campus. Should make for good attendance for Stony Brook and homecoming.

4,000- very impressive!

One more question, how did tonight's score compare to.... 2002, was it? If memory serves me correctly, it was a much tigher game.

2000 28-55 (was 28-35 middle of 4th)

2004 0-45

2005 7-36

The announced 4,106 was a little more than my guess; Hofstra fans barely half-filled the visting side so estimate 4-500 of them; I'm sure the crowd would have been better if not Rosh Hashanah.

The band has found a way to play 'Purple and Gold' but I only heard it after the game ; they should play it a lot more often, in fact they should play anything a lot more often, and forget most of the PA announcements until there's a decent sound system.

Defense played pretty well; DB was outfought by a much bigger WR for the 43-yard TD, I'll have to see the replay to decide if it and an earlier non-interception should have been pass interference

Special teams the same - TD return; Lynch averages 39 punting, one about 12, another 62.

Offense not much different from Colgate; this team must not have anyone with real breakaway speed, or they're not using him, because there was never a long pass until late, and it seemed like they didn't even try to run wide very much, especially to someone who remembers when Albany ran the option wide every other play; Vinnie's two interceptions I'll write off as sophomore mistakes, he was under pressure and should have just thrown them away. Pass blocking wasn't too bad even though allowing four sacks.

Only four penalties, but they seemed to be at bad times.

I'm not too disappointed in the score. I wasn't there so I'm going strictly off of score. I think (hope) Hofstra will be a playoff team this year. I just really wish we played these tough OOC home games later in the season. When that stadium gets built we better have a cupcake game as the home opener. Tough to build a fan base when you consistently schedule a tough OOC home game to open ever year.

I was at the game....some observations.

- Esposito shows that he is still a bit green. He never looks anyone of, he locks in on one receiver, usually Bocanegra and doesn't check down to anyone else. To me this is nothing more then an awareness issue, as he gets more comfortable and aware of whats going on we'll see him settle down a bit more. Having said that, he has great potential. I like the fact that he is tough and has great wheels. He doesn't slide like a sissy QB he takes the defender on (when running) on several occasions he didn't hesitate to run and appears to have very very good speed IMO he is a good run threat. He simply needs to get some more snaps under his belt.

- For long stretches last night the defense was put in an uncomfortable position. Our defense is very good but the offense was ineffective most of the time. On two occasions that I can remember the D gave the offense great field position, once on a fumble recovery and the other on a punt and the O failed to get even one 1st down. Our D has more then kept up their end of the bargain the O is still a work in progress.

- There were two back breaking plays in this game, otherwise it was closer then the score shows. One was the kickoff return for a TD and the other was the crazy desperation pass that somehow Hofstra came down with. Not much you can do about those especially the TD pass. Hofstras QB was flushed out of the pocket and was running for his life, he thew it across his body 40+ yards and somehow got it close to the WR, it was tightly defended and the Hofstra guy just came down with it. It was a fairly close game except for those two plays, the TD run back was inexcusable but the long pass was just a tough break for us.

- Our "stadium" is a freaking joke!

:excl: Purple & Gold is back in the Pep Band Repitoire. Last night it was played as the team entered the field at the start of the game, as they came off the field at the end & after every TD and FG. Plans call for that sort of pattern. B)

Nice turn out considering the cold & the lack of students on campus.

One more week of playing up and then on to our shot at league play. Special teams not to tighten up before we can move up in class.

One other complaint - an event staffer told my wife she couldn't ring her cowbell - very disappointing. Said it was some kind of conference (?) rule.

Purple & Gold is back in the Pep Band Repitoire. Last night it was played as the team entered the field at the start of the game, as they came off the field at the end & after every TD and FG. Plans call for that sort of pattern.

Great. Next you have to record an instrumental version and post it on the University Web site (no offense to the Earthtones, but the band sounds a lot better)

:excl: Purple & Gold is back in the Pep Band Repitoire. Last night it was played as the team entered the field at the start of the game, as they came off the field at the end & after every TD and FG. Plans call for that sort of pattern. B)

Nice turn out considering the cold & the lack of students on campus.

One more week of playing up and then on to our shot at league play. Special teams not to tighten up before we can move up in class.

Hope it get played at Baskeball games

Hope it get played at Baskeball games

I'm sure it will be.

The rushing game looked better on the TV replay than it did live. No interference on the long TD pass, no touch to 'muff' the punt, but there should have been offensive interference in the end zone in the 2nd quarter.

At halftime, McElroy said the goal is still to break ground in 2008.

Current players being looked at by the NFL are Dungey ("two inches taller and he wouldn't be playing for us"), Fralicker (better than some in the league now, and ice water in his veins) and DuPont, besides I assume Disch.

One other complaint - an event staffer told my wife she couldn't ring her cowbell - very disappointing. Said it was some kind of conference (?) rule.

NCAA rule against artificial noise makers. That's why there are no "Thunder Sticks" at college games.

Archived