UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

Rivals Rankings for NCAA Basketball

Okay, I will admit I looked at their board today. Anyways, Rivals has ranked all the teams in Division 1, and while Siena received a ranking of 55, the second choice in the America East (UAlbany) received a ranking of 204:

204. Albany

Despite losing America East Player of the Year Jamar Wilson the Great Danes (23-10, 13-3) have high hopes of being just as good, maybe better.

I am at a loss for words. Somebody (D96, perhaps) want to help?

100. Vermont

109. Boston University

204. Albany

228. Maryland-Baltimore County

245. Hartford

258. Binghamton

288. Stony Brook

310. Maine

318. New Hampshire

Wow...

I know it's just a website and I know it's just a game, but I feel sick reading this. Rivals seems like the basketball version of the Princeton Review.

Paging Dane96...or a reasonable stand-in...

I'm a bit surprised at our ranking. 204... Based on all the information I've read, I would have expected a more competitive ranking. Siena at 55? Really? I guess I know why I'm not a sports writer, I didn't see that coming.

100. Vermont

109. Boston University

204. Albany

245. Hartford

258. Binghamton

288. Stony Brook

310. Maine

318. New Hampshire

Wow...

I know it's just a website and I know it's just a game, but I feel sick reading this. Rivals seems like the basketball version of the Princeton Review.

Haha, I easily guessed what you were gonna post with this one..almost word for word. So is rivals.com now included in the vast national conspiracy to smear UAlbany too?

While I always want the school to be ranked highly in (just about) anything, I'd rather be ranked 'too low' and blow that number out of the water than vice versa.

100. Vermont

109. Boston University

204. Albany

245. Hartford

258. Binghamton

288. Stony Brook

310. Maine

318. New Hampshire

Wow...

Haha, I easily guessed what you were gonna post with this one..almost word for word. So is rivals.com now included in the vast national conspiracy to smear UAlbany too?

I know there is a bit of "pot, kettle, black" in saying this, but aren't you overreacting a little to what you think is my overreaction? If anything, Rivals has it out for the AE and has it in for the MAAC which is weird given how the latter is the poorer conference.

I wonder what criteria Rivals uses for their rankings...

Sorry for the delay guys-- The law firm I am working at got me tix to see a private Jill Scott/John Legend show (guy is a pimp--in the finest terms).

I will give the same answer I gave for Albany being ranked behind Iona in the FCS Coaches Poll in football:

I SPIT ON THE RIVALS RANKING

As to Siena's ranking, it doesn't seem like a ranking as high as 55 occurs that often for ANY team in the MAAC or America East Conference: Seems a bit high to me. I think Siena will be strong and win the MAAC, but 55 is a stretch -- that's beating out a lot of teams at the bottom and even the middle of power conferences. I imagine that St. Peter's and Iona are going to hurt Siena's RPI during the course of the season, assuming that those two schools stay near the bottom of the 336 schools in the RPI (Rivals has them at 331 and 333, respectively).

As to UAlbany's ranking, and given our final ranking at the end of last season, I am confused as to how we can be put at #204 when the quick blurb on us states:

"204. Albany[.] Despite losing America East Player of the Year Jamar Wilson the Great Danes (23-10, 13-3) have high hopes of being just as good, maybe better."

Although the blurb attributes the "high hopes" to the Great Danes, I still read the passage as recognizing the fact that we could be just as good. Wouldn't that justifiy at least a ranking within, let's say, 100 spots of where we finished last year?! I do like seeing, however, two America East schools, other than us, ranked so high. If their RPI rankings are also high, and stay around that level, that will help us when we beat them. B)

This is all academic, of course, since it's pre-season, and there's only one thing we can do about it -- go out and win games! This is new territory for our program, and I'm excited to have someone like Coach Brown, along with the student athletes he has on board, lead us into the, so to speak, post-JW era.

As to Siena's ranking, it doesn't seem like a ranking as high as 55 occurs that often for ANY team in the MAAC or America East Conference: Seems a bit high to me. I think Siena will be strong and win the MAAC, but 55 is a stretch -- that's beating out a lot of teams at the bottom and even the middle of power conferences. I imagine that St. Peter's and Iona are going to hurt Siena's RPI during the course of the season, assuming that those two schools stay near the bottom of the 336 schools in the RPI (Rivals has them at 331 and 333, respectively).

As to UAlbany's ranking, and given our final ranking at the end of last season, I am confused as to how we can be put at #204 when the quick blurb on us states:

"204. Albany[.] Despite losing America East Player of the Year Jamar Wilson the Great Danes (23-10, 13-3) have high hopes of being just as good, maybe better."

Although the blurb attributes the "high hopes" to the Great Danes, I still read the passage as recognizing the fact that we could be just as good. Wouldn't that justifiy at least a ranking within, let's say, 100 spots of where we finished last year?! I do like seeing, however, two America East schools, other than us, ranked so high. If their RPI rankings are also high, and stay around that level, that will help us when we beat them. B)

This is all academic, of course, since it's pre-season, and there's only one thing we can do about it -- go out and win games! This is new territory for our program, and I'm excited to have someone like Coach Brown, along with the student athletes he has on board, lead us into the, so to speak, post-JW era.

We have games soon and it shouldn't take all that long to see LCC ranking of 55 was off and if UA is "just as good, maybe better" then the UA ranking of 204 will look even more ridiculous than LCC ranking of 55 by the end of the season.

Siena may be Relatively strong in for the maac with Iona and others being way down and may even win the maac, but count me with the 50% of the maac coaches who think Loyola will win the maac.

#278 James Masion 100, #55 Siena 88.

Spot-on prognostication.

If they play D like that and don't rebound at ALL......then how can they expect to run us out of the gym? Not to mention they gave up 100 points....the other strong MAAC team Layola also lost. I thought the MAAC was vastly superior to the AE, I know it's only one game but I just don't see it.

OHHHH...Almost forgot....cudos to Rivals, they obviously know what they are talking about.

I wouldn't be too hard on the MAAC yet ... after tonight, the America East is 1-5.

Mon, Nov 05 Richmond 44 Maine 42 Memphis, Tenn.

Tue, Nov 06 Tennessee-Martin 66 Maine 62 Memphis, Tenn.

Fri, Nov 09 St. Bonaventure 57 Boston University 68 Boston, Mass.

Fri, Nov 09 Vermont 53 George Mason 60 Fairfax, Va.

Fri, Nov 09 Stony Brook 64 Villanova 86 Villanova, Pa.

Fri, Nov 09 Hartford 59 St. Francis College (NY) 62 Brooklyn, N.Y.

I wouldn't be too hard on the MAAC yet ... after tonight, the America East is 1-5.

Mon, Nov 05 Richmond 44 Maine 42 Memphis, Tenn.

Tue, Nov 06 Tennessee-Martin 66 Maine 62 Memphis, Tenn.

Fri, Nov 09 St. Bonaventure 57 Boston University 68 Boston, Mass.

Fri, Nov 09 Vermont 53 George Mason 60 Fairfax, Va.

Fri, Nov 09 Stony Brook 64 Villanova 86 Villanova, Pa.

Fri, Nov 09 Hartford 59 St. Francis College (NY) 62 Brooklyn, N.Y.

UA_2000,

My contention isn't that we are superior or vastly superior to the MAAC. I have no illusions on where the AE stands in the great scheme of things. It's some on the Siena board who continually lecture us on how much BETTER the MAAC is. I submit to you that the two conferences are at best equal. Some would argue that the MAAC is actually weaker since AE has ranked better then the MAAC for two years now.

For sure, it's still much to early to draw a definitive conclusion but the info we have available right now doesn't support the silly assertion made by MAAC fans. After all the AE is "supposed" to crash back to earth and the MAAC is "suppose" to rise. I'm waiting! With each day the picture will get more clear.

Archived