UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

Postgame Siena

hard to pinpoint what the loss is based on. I think maybe it was just missing some shots at the end. In that run we had late in the game, they just missed some buckets when Siena gave them the ball. We out rebounded. The speed did hurt at times and maybe that was the difference, them outscoring us 10-0 on fastbreak. Really it was two bad stretches that we couldn't connect and they opened it up. Going from down 10 at halftime and pushed right back to 18 less then five minutes later.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'd attribute some of the loss to Siena being pretty freakin good too.

I thought they did us a favor in the closing minutes by becoming deliberate, that' much more our game. I'm amazed that with how bad we looked at times we even had a chance to steal that game at the end.

It's a dissapointing loss for sure. Two things I'll take from tonight is that is seems like something good (usually for us)happens when Ambrose is on the floor and I don't know if there's another college basketball player in the country that plays with more heart than Brian Lillis. I know he had some turnovers tonight but that kid amazes me.

We had no business being in this game, although I was happy and impressed with how we never caved in nor gave up. Siena was supposed to be the better team and they were for about 25-30 minutes. I love how Coach Brown coached this team, the players play hard for him....never gave in. Siena is very talented and should do very well.

I also love how Lillis plays the game but he did struggle bringing the ball up....Josh had a much easier time with it as a true PG. Speaking of the young guys....I think this will be a great learning experience for them. Not every team in the AE gets to play in that type of atmosphere and learn from it. We simply didn't have enough firepower to pull this one out. I'd love to see Hastings show a bit more on the offensive end. His one three pointer looked great but I think he defers a bit to much to the other guys. On to the next game......it will probably be pretty painful the next few days as Siena fans pour salt in our wounds. No matter, they were the better team and we have nothing to hang our heads about.

I really like our chances to take the AE again, even more so after watching this game. Even though we struggled mightily for long stretches.

IMO, there were a few good things to come out of the loss:

1. Brian and Brent showed good leadership - playing hard and willing the team back after being down by so many. Lillis was attacking the basket and Brent was making perimeter shots.

2. I liked the lineup that started in the second half with Martin at the point. I think the team is better with Lillis off the ball especially against a team as aggressive as Siena was.

3. IMO, the difference during the comebacks was when we went zone and Siena looked confused.

4. I agree about Ambrose - he makes things happen and he has a pretty good perimeter shot.

They played well, I think the aggressive Siena defense threw them off and it took a while to get into the zone to slow down Siena.

Last night showed us that Siena has a very good team---and that we have a very good team. They could have folded up the tent on many occasions--but they kept hustling. A true statement on the Coaches and players we have. This group will only improve---and will definitely contend for the AE crown......Maybe a game at the SEFCU Arena on March 15th????

The key positive I see is that our team is very young. If the Siena game stays on our schedule, we have a much more competitive game next year. Hastings, Ambrose and crew with supplements from the recruiting class of '08 should be great depth with some valuable experience.

The key positive I see is that our team is very young. If the Siena game stays on our schedule, we have a much more competitive game next year. Hastings, Ambrose and crew with supplements from the recruiting class of '08 should be great depth with some valuable experience.

You do realize that Siena has all the players back from next year with the exception of Tay Fisher. You do know that Siena started 4 sophs and a junior last night right? If Fran can land a serviceable big man next years Siena team is very..very capable of making some serious noise nationally ( more than this years win against the 20th ranked team in the country)

Albany loses its 3 leading scores in Lillis, Wilson and Iati . It won’t get any easier for Albany next year. It wouldn’t surprise me to see Albany back out of a new contract given those stats

You may not like this Siena Tony but look around you. The fact is state schools now dominate college basketball (and all college athletics). This was once the domain of private schools but those days are long behind us. Ohio State, Florida, UCLA etc. It's a gradual process but the writing is on the wall. There is no reason to think that New York's state system will be any different. Laugh it up now. I live in Atlanta and I can tell you that when your job hunting recuiters like to see recognizable schools. Ask 100 people in Atlanta about Siena and you'll get blank stares. Private schools and their $30k a year tuition are no longer an option in a world where you need a MBA, JD etc to survive. Its not about Xs and Os, it's about Jimmy and Joes. We'll win the recruiting battle in the years to come.

You may not like this Siena Tony but look around you. The fact is state schools now dominate college basketball (and all college athletics). This was once the domain of private schools but those days are long behind us. Ohio State, Florida, UCLA etc. It's a gradual process but the writing is on the wall. There is no reason to think that New York's state system will be any different. Laugh it up now. I live in Atlanta and I can tell you that when your job hunting recuiters like to see recognizable schools. Ask 100 people in Atlanta about Siena and you'll get blank stares. Private schools and their $30k a year tuition are no longer an option in a world where you need a MBA, JD etc to survive. Its not about Xs and Os, it's about Jimmy and Joes. We'll win the recruiting battle in the years to come.

Hey don’t lump me in with the Siena fans that don’t think Albany will be a good program. Albany is a big state school. Siena is a small college – no doubt. But Siena is well known in basketball circles in the Northeast ( primarily where Siena recruits) If you couldn’t see the difference in the talent level on the floor last night, then I can’t help you. Siena has one senior on its roster. Many of the players on the team Fran beat out BCS or A10 level teams for their services, and I’m not talking interest I’m talking offers. Fran has already signed a 6’5” athletic kid from Penn with offers from the Big 10 and Temple. Out of the 200 min available to play in a game Siena returns 193 of those minutes next year. Albany loses its 3 leading scorers.. you do the math. And hey I’m not saying Albany can’t win only that it won’t be easier next year- and again if you can’t see that I can’t help you.

I’m not here to start arguments – just stating the facts

Sitting in Albany Airport hoping to beat the snow.

Pretty disappointing trip. I agree with everyone's assessment - our guys could not have given a greater effort. We did appear unprepared for the immediate full court pressure and traps. By the time we made adjustments we were struggling to come back. Covington/Gifford/Turley offered little against the speed and I'm concerned at how much development Turley appears to need.

What could have been a very definitive win for Siena became a close game. But its a hollow feeling this morning.

Despite the MAAC's weaker conference ranking providing Siena an easier ride, I'll still put my money on UA playing into March before them.

Most interesting thing I saw was a guy in a Siena shirt sitting in the men's room tapping his toe to another Siena guy in an adjacent stall.

[Let me know the next time the home team draws 13,000 to the Pepsi.]

Tony

I appreciate the well wishes for safe travel. For some reason, I suspect you really say that with sincerity too, which confirms to me that what we say on this board really is for the fun of it.

Yes, I had read Ettkin's column. He is a Siena pimp and pretty much a prick and always has been. Prior to coming to Albany, he failed as a columnist in my local paper. Objectivity isn't his long suit.

I can't take anything away from your win last night. Congratulations.

Sitting in Albany Airport hoping to beat the snow.

Pretty disappointing trip. I agree with everyone's assessment - our guys could not have given a greater effort. We did appear unprepared for the immediate full court pressure and traps. By the time we made adjustments we were struggling to come back. Covington/Gifford/Turley offered little against the speed and I'm concerned at how much development Turley appears to need.

What could have been a very definitive win for Siena became a close game. But its a hollow feeling this morning.

Despite the MAAC's weaker conference ranking providing Siena an easier ride, I'll still put my money on UA playing into March before them.

Most interesting thing I saw was a guy in a Siena shirt sitting in the men's room tapping his toe to another Siena guy in an adjacent stall.

Maybe Siena Alums and fans just have a wide stance?

Yes, I had read Ettkin's column. He is a Siena pimp and pretty much a prick and always has been. Prior to coming to Albany, he failed as a columnist in my local paper. Objectivity isn't his long suit.

And where was this and which school was his Siena equal there?

MAAC 3-0 against the AEast yesterday. The MAAC is 20th in the RPI, AE 24th I believe.

Siena in the MAAC title game should get over 13,000 this year at the TUC ;-)

Archived