UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

MAAC switches to Albany in '09

Dude....I love hockey. Love it like you dont understand. We drove an hour and a half three days a week so I could be a "Little Islander" for years, skating with Mike Bossy, John Tonelli, Bryan Trottier, Kenny Morrow, etc. Believe me...it was my BEST SPORT and my mother and I still have a tense joke because it was she who made me quit after a bad fight up in Canada...and we will never know how good I could have been.

Forget the world...forget it all...look at youth stats like Danefan said. SOCCER AND LAX ARE AMERICA'S CURRENT HOTTEST SPORT. Just look at the AGS thread (look under my name for recent posts...."OTHER SPORTS") to see the new stadiums coming for Soccer.

The NHL's biggest problem (like soccer) is it does not translate well on TV. Thus, you have to have a good marketing plan...and good leadership. The NHLPA and the NHL are devoid of both.

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

D96,

I guess it's a matter of personal preference, I simply disagreed with the assessment that hockey is a dying sport. If hockey that went from a 1.6 to a 3.2 rating is a dying sport, what does that say about soccer with a 0.6? I'd love for soccer and lacrosse to do well in this country but soccer has always been a sport that was very very popular with the suburbanites and school age kids. The interest drops to ALMOST ZERO once kids graduate. Everyone thought soccer was on a meteoric rise when Pele and others were doing their thing in the 70's. It ended up going no where as 17 teams collapsed in a matter of 4 years. The story has not yet been written on lacrosse. Anyways, this is all a matter of preference, as you said....hockey has a ton of problems most of which can be attributed to Bettman and the NHLPA and not the product on the ice.

olddog,

I'm sorry for hijacking the thread but we've beaten the other horse to death. Most of us agree that the AEC leadership is being foolish with even considering moving the tourney out of Albany. It's the piece of garbage MAAC (not the BE or ACC) with their 1600 seat high school gyms and who's motto is....if you can't beat them kick them out.

D96,

I guess it's a matter of personal preference, I simply disagreed with the assessment that hockey is a dying sport. If hockey that went from a 1.6 to a 3.2 rating is a dying sport, what does that say about soccer with a 0.6? I'd love for soccer and lacrosse to do well in this country but soccer has always been a sport that was very very popular with the suburbanites and school age kids. The interest drops to ALMOST ZERO once kids graduate. Everyone thought soccer was on a meteoric rise when Pele and others were doing their thing in the 70's. It ended up going no where as 17 teams collapsed in a matter of 4 years. The story has not yet been written on lacrosse. Anyways, this is all a matter of preference, as you said....hockey has a ton of problems most of which can be attributed to Bettman and the NHLPA and not the product on the ice.

olddog,

I'm sorry for hijacking the thread but we've beaten the other horse to death. Most of us agree that the AEC leadership is being foolish with even considering moving the tourney out of Albany. It's the piece of garbage MAAC (not the BE or ACC) with their 1600 seat high school gyms and who's motto is....if you can't beat them kick them out.

No offense, because I am enjoying this conversation better than the original point of the thread, but you were not in the US for Pele's era. The reason it failed is SIMPLE: $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$.

The set the league up wrong. This is set up right. Now...ratings might not be high...but it does not mean it isn't growing. Fact is, ESPN is paying huge $$$ to put the Euro's on TV. That was UNHEARD OF YEARS AGO. Add in immigrants, such as yourself but particularly the growing hispanic community who grow up with soccer and not hockey--which by 2030 is predicted to be nearly equal to the caucasian population--and bam, you have a different recipe for a soccer league in this country.

Belive me...I love hockey more than soccer...but the timing is PERFECT. Something like 200,000 kids are new to soccer each month. I guarantee you that 200,000 kids dont start up hockey in 3 months. The NHL tried a project that failed miserably because they are poorly run: Bring hockey to African-Americans and Hispanics in inner cities to get the best athletes. As far as I know...the program has ceased operations. Whereas, THE MLS TEAMS ARE STARTING UP AND HAVE BEEN SUCCESFULL IN "YOUTH TEAMS" similar to those found around the world.

Here is your perfect example: I was at the USA-Argentina match this weekend. We walked into the shytehole parking lot and said "HOLY CRAP...10-1 Argentinian to US fans." We get in the stadium...and FOUR GROWN MEN were smiling ear-to-ear because for the first time that I HAVE EVER WITNESSED ON TV OR LIVE, the USA fans outnumbered the fans of the visiting squad. It was easily 80-20 proportional out of 78,900+ fans. Chanting the whole game...stuff I never heard. It was insane! Even Argie fans (who are much better and more fun than Brazil/Mexico fans) were in shock.

Siena fans/alum's/administration don't have any vision of 'growing the program" My expectations mirror most fans....be a top 4 program in the MAAC, graduate the kids within 5 years, make the post season now and then. It's your "big hoops wannabee posture" that amuses. Are you actually waiting for Siena fans to drop dead so your program can catch up? One just passed on last week so maybe come November you can stay within 25 points.

You must have missed quite a few posts on the lcc board over the years and all of the UA-LCC basketball games. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Actually, not missing anything and you are correct. There is no shortage of "Big Hoops Wannabees" in the Siena Community. Your board and Siena's represent a small number of people with too much idle time now and then. I know tons of Siena fans that would put the conference games back on campus and play OOC games of interest downtown. My 1st choice would be to play UAlbany on campus, come to your house every other year and televise. Perhaps downtown most fair to the masses and Siena does have a history of playing off campus going back to the middle of the last century.

During the lanier reign of terror there were and remain those wishing D1 ball would leave Loudonville. An opinion I do not share as long as the kids graduate, behave, we compete year in and year out and catch lightning in a bottle once in a while.

Despite my urge to drift over here and aggravate when bored please realize, I have high regard for UAlbany and your hoops program. I also think you might catch the Siena program with time. But, it will not be easy. You would have to leave the AE and I'm not sure that will happen.

Just opinion.

D96,

olddog,

No offense, because I am enjoying this conversation better than the original point of the thread, but you were not in the US for Pele's era. The reason it failed is SIMPLE: $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$.

The set the league up wrong. This is set up right. Now...ratings might not be high...but it does not mean it isn't growing. Fact is, ESPN is paying huge $$$ to put the Euro's on TV. That was UNHEARD OF YEARS AGO. Add in immigrants, such as yourself but particularly the growing hispanic community who grow up with soccer and not hockey--which by 2030 is predicted to be nearly equal to the caucasian population--and bam, you have a different recipe for a soccer league in this country.

Belive me...I love hockey more than soccer...but the timing is PERFECT. Something like 200,000 kids are new to soccer each month. I guarantee you that 200,000 kids dont start up hockey in 3 months. The NHL tried a project that failed miserably because they are poorly run: Bring hockey to African-Americans and Hispanics in inner cities to get the best athletes. As far as I know...the program has ceased operations. Whereas, THE MLS TEAMS ARE STARTING UP AND HAVE BEEN SUCCESFULL IN "YOUTH TEAMS" similar to those found around the world.

Here is your perfect example: I was at the USA-Argentina match this weekend. We walked into the shytehole parking lot and said "HOLY CRAP...10-1 Argentinian to US fans." We get in the stadium...and FOUR GROWN MEN were smiling ear-to-ear because for the first time that I HAVE EVER WITNESSED ON TV OR LIVE, the USA fans outnumbered the fans of the visiting squad. It was easily 80-20 proportional out of 78,900+ fans. Chanting the whole game...stuff I never heard. It was insane! Even Argie fans (who are much better and more fun than Brazil/Mexico fans) were in shock.

Not only was I not in the country when Pele signed his 4.5mil contract but I wasn't even born yet :D (DOB:1980) I do agree with you that the current setup is more conducive to the long term success of 'football' in this country. But it remains to be seen if it will actually catch on. Building stadiums specifically for 'football' is a great move and no wonder those teams that have those kinds of facilities are starting to turn a profit. Hockey will never be able to compete with the NFL, 'Football' just about everywhere else in the world, MLB and the NBA but it's not going anywhere. It's a great sport and the product has improved since the rule changes. Lacrosse is still very much an unknown commodities......growing? YES! But lets see where it goes.

Again, much of the failure in hockey I attribute to Bettman and the NHLPA. The lockout was disastrous for a league trying to compete with the other big time leagues for attention. Their TV exposure collapsed after the lockout. Bettman should have been FIRED a long time ago.

Have the last dozen most recent posts wandered from the original topic of this thread?

Here I was salivating for some salient observations on the original theme, and I'm reading now more about hockey. In summer conditions, no less!

Old Dog, I agree with you. I don't have a problem with a hockey thread elsewhere, but I am still curious as to reasons why Dane Fan thinks the AEast should be trying to work with the MAAC to make both tournaments a success rather than concentrating on some of the things I suggested to make the AE tourney a success. I mean like most of us have stated who cares about the maac.

Other than that whoever said we beat this to death may be correct.

Have the last dozen most recent posts wandered from the original topic of this thread?

Here I was salivating for some salient observations on the original theme, and I'm reading now more about hockey. In summer conditions, no less!

Old Dog, I agree with you. I don't have a problem with a hockey thread elsewhere, but I am still curious as to reasons why Dane Fan thinks the AEast should be trying to work with the MAAC to make both tournaments a success rather than concentrating on some of the things I suggested to make the AE tourney a success. I mean like most of us have stated who cares about the maac.

Sorry Bob, I missed that post. My original thoughts about the AEast wanting to join with the MAAC have to do solely with the perception by local and major media. Like it or not, Siena's win in the tourney last year could (and likely will locally) garner greater attention to the MAAC than will be directed at the AEast.

I'm not saying the AEast needs the MAAC to run a succsseful tourney. I'm just saying that I think the potential benefits to joining up may be greater for the AEast than they will be for the MAAC.

And that doesn't mean that the AEast shouldn't do the things you have indicated first and foremost.

But you guys clearly have more knowledge of the basketball conferenes than I do. So maybe I'm off base.

No...you are not. Take out the adverserial nature, and this stands to be a HUGE FINANCIAL BOON to the CD. Then again, the Times Useless, the Mayor's Office, the State Govt, the County Gov't, and other officials have seemingly not fared well with this in the past.

Just sayin!

Sorry Bob, I missed that post. My original thoughts about the AEast wanting to join with the MAAC have to do solely with the perception by local and major media. Like it or not, Siena's win in the tourney last year could (and likely will locally) garner greater attention to the MAAC than will be directed at the AEast.

I'm not saying the AEast needs the MAAC to run a succsseful tourney. I'm just saying that I think the potential benefits to joining up may be greater for the AEast than they will be for the MAAC.

And that doesn't mean that the AEast shouldn't do the things you have indicated first and foremost.

But you guys clearly have more knowledge of the basketball conferenes than I do. So maybe I'm off base.

Fair enough and I agree with you it would be helpful to have the media on board. Which given the lameness of the media around here that probably would be an issue even if the little maac wasn't here. It is a good question to how to get them some of them on board period.

• 2 weeks later...

When the MAAC abandoned Trenton New Jersey as it's 2009 tournament site and moved the show to Albany's Times Union Center, there was consideration by the America East to pull it's event from the Capital Region.

That won't be happening the tourney will go as planned in March, according to sources close to the league. The America East holding meetings in Florida this week, the tournament one of the big topics on the agenda.

Several unhappy with the clandestine way the MAAC went about moving it's tournament. A few weeks ago, UAlbany athletic director Dr. Lee McElroy said that despite the MAAC move, his school was committed to the America East event. The league will meet with its Presidents on Friday, when an official announcement is expected.

Link

A few weeks ago, UAlbany athletic director Dr. Lee McElroy said that despite the MAAC move, his school was committed to the America East event. The league will meet with its Presidents on Friday, when an official announcement is expected.[/i]

Link

good news. It is the maac. it is not a real league.

Confirmed....

The America East Conference announced today it will go ahead with plans to hold the 2009 men’s basketball tournament at UAlbany’s SEFCU Arena on March 6-8.

There was some doubt after the Metro Atlantic Athletic Conference decided to move its tournament to Times Union Center on the same weekend.

Here’s the announcement from America East commissioner Patrick Nero:

”During our Annual Presidents’ and Athletic Directors’ meetings this week, we received updates on our 2009 Men’s Basketball Championship in Albany. Both groups came away from these meetings confident that we remain on track for a successful championship in March. The concept of having two men’s Basketball conference championships in the same city, the same weekend is a new one. While it may present some challenges, we have a very good working relationship with the MAAC and both conferences will work together to address any issues. We feel having both tournaments on the same weekend will give Capital Region fans the unique opportunity to enjoy several days of NCAA Division I basketball. It’s not only a dream weekend for the hoops junkie, but a time for the casual fan to become a big fan and for first-time fans to experience all the excitement of college basketball.”

Glad that AE didn't tuck tail and run. It's the MAAC for crying out loud....sound decision.

Archived