UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

MAAC switches to Albany in '09

I think the AE should give more support this year. WHY? Because if we can get the 3500 or so per game that would make this a success...EVEN WITH THE MAAC in town...then that would be a BOON to the league. It will show that the town loves Albany...and the AE.

It would be a kick in the balls to the MAAC...and a great recruiting tool for ALL LEAGUE TEAMS ("hey...wanna go to the MAAC, great...we did just fine in a sold out gym...check out the vids...or you can play in a cavern...unless Siena is playing, then it is a half-cavern.")

I agree substantially with Dane96 on this issue. The next tournament gives the AE the opportunity to take on the MAAC and defeat it at its own game. Sure, the TUC may gather more fans, but the young and upcoming Capital District fans will see the difference in fan support between the leagues if UA is still in the game. Granted, I don't know how the business and financial sides of the issue of having one city hosting two different tournaments.

I'll bet McElroy is pretty upset now with D'Argenio. The latter knew what was developing with the MAAC tournament a few months ago, and D'Argenio didn't have the courtesy to acknowledge his league's plans.

I find it curious that only one MAAC team city seems to have the capability of hosting their tournament. It was not a great success in Bridgeport, and now Trenton isn't working out. Why isn't Buffalo hosting? It has two MAAC teams, but evidently even there insufficient spirit exists to support the league there. In contrast, the AE Tournament has done okay in Boston, and it has been a great success in Binghamton. Most people think it could also do well in the Hartford and Baltimore markets. Serious people should be asking why not more than one MAAC city can pull off such an event, and it certainly calls into question how great the MAAC really is in the one sport in which it is argumentably superior to the AE. This move is not really a great sign for the future success of the MAAC.

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Through a spokesman, America East commissioner Patrick Nero declined comment until he can discuss the development with the league's schools. The spokesman said the league would not comment on the possibility of moving the tournament to another venue until after those discussions.

This makes me a little nervous. My guess for their bright idea would be to switch the tournaments in 2009 - give Albany the women's tourney and Hartford the men's. Then maybe give us the tournament again in 2011.

MAAC is here in '09 so moving it to next year would put us in the same "tight" spot as this year. I don't know, maybe I'm a bit naive....but put a good product on the floor and people will come. For Gods sake this is the MAAC we are talking about and not the ACC or the BE. Granted Siena will be a good team and will draw well especially making a run to back to back NCAA's but the rest of that crappy league will be down. Are we really fretting about competing against such "powerhouse" teams like Fairfield, St. P, Canisius, Manhattan etc.? When Siena isn't playing that cave will be quieter then the morgue at 1am on Sunday.

If nothing else, this is a classless display by the MAAC towards the AE and we should take it out on them during the regular season by beating the $iena out of them. While that might be a tall order against Siena the likes of Canisius should be crushed when they come to our house. UVM, Bingo, Boston and Hartford have the potential to be EXCELLENT teams, especially UVM. If the league as a whole can put a superior product on the floor (not like last year) then this tourney will do just fine, in the meantime, it's time to stop dilly daddling around and start beating the MAAC on a consistent basis. AE consists of large public institutions with vastly more resources then just about any MAAC school. I mean come-on have you all seen the facilities they play in? D3 schools think the MAAC's facilities are a disgrace! It's time to start throwing our weight around a bit and I think we are starting to do that (outside of basketball the AE is far superior in every other sport) but it's time to take it to another level. I'm glad to see Hartford and UMBC building nice programs, UVM, Boston and UA have been staples of this league, even though Boston hasn't been to the top in a few years. We have good young coaches who are building nice programs and there seems to be institutional commitment to improving facilities, paying coaches, stability etc.

The MAAC has reached it's ceiling, whether they like to admit it or not. I honestly believe that the AEC is just now starting to recover from the defection of the CAA school who left. This season should be a nice improvement on last season as a number of teams will be stronger. So let's not fret the MAAC, it's the MAAC for crying out loud, not the BE.

P.S. I think as a fan base we give MUCH TO MUCH respect to the MAAC....

Does anyone think that, at least in part, this situation is being considered "pay back" to UAlbany and Coach Brown, in particular, for the refusal to participate in the grandiose D'Argenio/Ensor/Belber exempt pre-season tournament a few years ago. We have seen the Siena board poster, Knicksaint, and the TU blog poster, Paul R., take Coach Brown to task for this on more than one recent occasion.

Bob Belber...has probably made one of the POOREST decisions he has ever made. Quite frankly, this one shocks me. This may not have an immediate impact however, Bob has used VERY, VERY SHORTSIGHTED THINKING.

Siena is NOT going to grow...no matter WHAT THEIR FANS AND ADMINS THINK. In fact, the trend is that private schools have been seeing a decrease in apps because of cost. They have an aging fan base. If anything, and it is a big if, Albany has more of a potential to build a following and fan base. Look at schools like USF (averaged maybe 2k a game a few years ago...getting 10k now). Or, closer to our scale, UMASS. These schools grew exponentially with a little love and wins.

We have more of a potential to be a UMASS, VCU, UNC-Charlotte, than Siena does. We have yet to scratch the surface. And, once we get some kind of stadium, watch how the town-gown relationship goes up as more people/kids head to the campus for events that HAVE NOTHING TO DO WITH THE SCHOOL. They will feel it is "their campus."

Bob...just really didnt forsee this stuff. And, quite honestly, it is a MAJOR mistake.

Does anyone think that, at least in part, this situation is being considered "pay back" to UAlbany and Coach Brown, in particular, for the refusal to participate in the grandiose D'Argenio/Ensor/Belber exempt pre-season tournament a few years ago. We have seen the Siena board poster, Knicksaint, and the TU blog poster, Paul R., take Coach Brown to task for this on more than one recent occasion.

No, no, that would sound like one of "the conspiracy theories on the idiot board I refuse to go to. " - 'aint99 on the Hayseed forum

Bob Belber...has probably made one of the POOREST decisions he has ever made. Quite frankly, this one shocks me. This may not have an immediate impact however, Bob has used VERY, VERY SHORTSIGHTED THINKING.

Siena is NOT going to grow...no matter WHAT THEIR FANS AND ADMINS THINK. In fact, the trend is that private schools have been seeing a decrease in apps because of cost. They have an aging fan base. If anything, and it is a big if, Albany has more of a potential to build a following and fan base. Look at schools like USF (averaged maybe 2k a game a few years ago...getting 10k now). Or, closer to our scale, UMASS. These schools grew exponentially with a little love and wins.

We have more of a potential to be a UMASS, VCU, UNC-Charlotte, than Siena does. We have yet to scratch the surface. And, once we get some kind of stadium, watch how the town-gown relationship goes up as more people/kids head to the campus for events that HAVE NOTHING TO DO WITH THE SCHOOL. They will feel it is "their campus."

Bob...just really didnt forsee this stuff. And, quite honestly, it is a MAJOR mistake.

Siena fans/alum's/administration don't have any vision of 'growing the program" My expectations mirror most fans....be a top 4 program in the MAAC, graduate the kids within 5 years, make the post season now and then. It's your "big hoops wannabee posture" that amuses. Are you actually waiting for Siena fans to drop dead so your program can catch up? One just passed on last week so maybe come November you can stay within 25 points.

P.S. I think as a fan base we give MUCH TO MUCH respect to the MAAC....

Well, bob doesn't :lol:

[

I don't know why anyone would. At least if you follow all sports at all. Maac hockey died a few years ago followed by football. maac lacrosse is the joke league. I think while all the other leagues have at least 1 ncaa tournament win over the last 6 years the maac regular loses their games by score of 20-3. Even the only sport they are somewhat competitve in ( basketball) has seen betters days.

Siena fans/alum's/administration don't have any vision of 'growing the program" My expectations mirror most fans....be a top 4 program in the MAAC, graduate the kids within 5 years, make the post season now and then. It's your "big hoops wannabee posture" that amuses. Are you actually waiting for Siena fans to drop dead so your program can catch up? One just passed on last week so maybe come November you can stay within 25 points.

You must have missed quite a few posts on the lcc board over the years and all of the UA-LCC basketball games. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

You must have missed quite a few posts on the lcc board over the years and all of the UA-LCC basketball games. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

I was thinking that too - "Gonzaga of the East" was posted there more than once although it might have only been one poster. I don't remember.

One thing I thought when I saw this announcement was doesn't the host AE team get to pick which time slot they play in? It would be a good double-header for the area if we were able to play at a different time that Siena. Maybe they could do some kind of deal where if you bring your ticket from the MAAC tourney you get charged double at our game.

Archived